Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Naming
03-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Hey there,

SO I'm a new Lifer and I finally get to Commander thinking I'll be able to grab a brand new Excelsior but I can't... because (I'm an idiot and didn't read.) I have been blowing my Energy Credits on ship upgrades.. That's cool I can save up..

So I get my Dakota/Stargazer variant mix that I create that looks OK but not as traditionally elegant as the Excelsior.. I start thinking I have a cool collection of ships... I do not want to release my cool ships I go to C-Store and by Slots because I still regret releasing my First Ship...

My Constitution USS Salem NCC-91020-A is in Reserve. (The first USS Salem without the bloody "A" was a Miranda class that I released in favor of some C-Store ships.) .. I like the name of the USS Salem because it is in honor of the real USS Salem in New England that is named after the town in Massachusetts made famous for the witch trials. The Real USS Salem was often nicknamed the "Sea Witch" so I like to think of my Salem as the "Space Witch."

OK so... back to my observation/request/complaint:

Why can I not have 2 USS Salems? If I make the Registry a number NCC-91020-B I should be able to have another Salem in my inventory But it's not allowed... Uh Why? I have to Name the second one USS Salem II... That's Yucky! The registries are different the name should not matter right? When I finally save up for my Excelsior it would be really cool to not ugly it up with USS Salem III...

Thanks for your consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2011, 07:31 AM
currenty, the names and not the registration is the primary identification in STO. i did the same with one toon too, name all the ships registrations with different letters and keeping the name. but therefore i had to change the older ships name or delete it. and about your nostalgia, you will probably never fly with your miranda class again. so in my opinion, you can rename or delete the ships, and always give your new cruiser the name USS Salem with the proper registration.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.Fleming
currenty, the names and not the registration is the primary identification in STO. i did the same with one toon too, name all the ships registrations with different letters and keeping the name. but therefore i had to change the older ships name or delete it. and about your nostalgia, you will probably never fly with your miranda class again. so in my opinion, you can rename or delete the ships, and always give your new cruiser the name USS Salem with the proper registration.
Using the letter suffix after the name is canon, Enterprise-A, so on some of my toons especially where I kept names like when I was in a Captain level Defiant I named my VA level Defiant the same name with a letter.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise

According to this source the suffix is only used in the registration. But if people only "talk" about a single ship, they add the suffix at the end of the name. It's easier and faster to pronounce than using name and registration. Personally, I use the ship name and registration of STO as meant in the source.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
You don't have to give the new one the "yucky" Salem II. What you can do instead is rename the old one to, say "Sal3m" (since you'll never need to fly it again anyway being of inferior tier) and simply give the new one the desired name.

The limitation is simply "you can't have two ships with the same name". Registry doesn't count (for some reason). Keep this in mind.