Lt. Commander
# 1 The Foundry and Puzzles
03-27-2011, 03:51 AM
So, we now finally got some branching options. It doesn't work quite as I expected it, and seems to be mostly dialog or state-driven. Still, it should be something that might allow creating some puzzles that require more then interacting with clickies in a sequence.

Still; I have to wrap my head around how the whole thing works. What kind of puzzles have you come up with, or are planning to implement? Share your tricks and your missions!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
I have developed a key code system. a five digit code must be entered in that comes with success and failure. It is extensive, but it works really well. Is this what you are talking about?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
I have developed a key code system. a five digit code must be entered in that comes with success and failure. It is extensive, but it works really well. Is this what you are talking about?
This could be an example, yes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
So, we now finally got some branching options. It doesn't work quite as I expected it, and seems to be mostly dialog or state-driven. Still, it should be something that might allow creating some puzzles that require more then interacting with clickies in a sequence.
Currently, you can create a puzzle by combining:
  • Dialogs.

• Interactions with objects

• Having the player position their character somewhere and interacting with an object.
That's about it as far as I can see.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-29-2011, 07:07 AM
You could do something like the second puzzle in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

By placing columns side by side with the task of running across the top of them. (you would have to do this high in the air and build walls, floors, celings, the works) Place a place marker on the false stones. If a player steps onto one of the false columns it would disappear using triggers, thus the character would fall. You would of course have to build a way for the character to try again.

give them a clue somewhere in the mission (step only on the dark tiles) or even a picture
______
|x|_|_|_|
|x|x|_|_|
|_|x|x|_|
|_|_|x|_|
|_|_|x|_|
|_|_|x|_|

its a lot of work, but just a thought.

kirkfat's fun with triggers video (not sure what the link is) also gives clue to other things you can do. Use consoles 1-7 in an exact order or objects futher in would appear or dissappear making the mission either straight forward to incredibly difficult. (oops, you accidentally powered down a forcefield holding back 17 groups of Gorn.) Note: this would require a huge number of bottles.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammadelta1 View Post
...You would of course have to build a way for the character to try again.
The problem with this is that currently we cannot implement a reset switch for this kind of puzzle that would work infinitely. The reset switch, naturally being an Interaction will itself have only one use so you'll have to add a lot of such switches and a lot of object sets to re-create the puzzle every time the player resets it.

Eventually, you'll get a player who will fail more times than you've planned for, and then the player would be stuck. I doubt most players would feel understanding towards the current Foundry limitations and would instead blame the author for the entire mess.

If however we had infinite re-use of map objects, well... things would be different then.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I meant a way for the player to get back up. The column that they tripped would still be gone. Would actually making the solving easier.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
I think I get you now, you're saying the wrong choices are the ones that disappear, not that the solution-path disappears if a wrong choice is made and then the puzzle requires resetting. Right?

And here's Kirk's fun with triggers tutorial.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Right, just like that Indiana Jones scene. (awsome movie) it would be incredibly time consuming, but this is a puzzles thread. Building the puzzle itself with a high 'y' value. And then if you screw up a path to get you back up there. I would applaud anyone that builds this.

Thanks for that link.