Lt. Commander
Hey, so I have an encounter with two friendly Federation starships nearby. Every time I've tested it though, they don't react. The enemy ships pass within 3 km of each of them, and they just continue doing nothing.

Now, is this something that will change when published, like some of the Idle Action's used to not work in testing?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Your Fed ships NPC contacts? Or are they NPC groups?

The former aren't designed for combat, only the latter.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
Your Fed ships NPC contacts? Or are they NPC groups?

The former aren't designed for combat, only the latter.
Aha! That explains it. They are NPC Contacts. I'll have to duplicate another map for the "Battle Map", as initially you need to talk to them.
The question is, can I just put two Fed Starships (via Groups) in there with custom costumes...? Because I've tried putting, say just two Feklhri ships or Klingon or Romulan ships because I wanted to represent a scout force, but the minimum I can get is a whole squadron of five.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-26-2011, 12:38 AM
If I knew which is the first ship to appear in a friendly or enemy NPC group, I wouldn't have to name them all "U.S.S. Whatever" or "I.K.S. Whatever" and give all of them the wanted costume to make sure the name is actually coming up.

However, I can confirm that the friendly NPC groups do work, I just tested it in my third mission.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately, the problem is that I want to be able to just have two ships. All the NPC groups are five or more.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
Unfortunately, the problem is that I want to be able to just have two ships. All the NPC groups are five or more.
It puts out all of those five in the map editor, but if you test the map you won't see five ships there. The only way all of them would show up is if a full party of players entered the mission together, and the game has to be ready for what to do should that occur. Basically, just set them all to whatever costume you want to appear, and the game will randomly pick one or two of them when it loads the map.

Oh, and make sure that whatever friendly squadron you put down is appropriate for the type of ship you'll be covering them with. If you put down a fighter squad and cover them up with battleships, it looks downright wacky, since they retain the fighter's movement style.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
IMO it would be much better (and easier) if NPC contacts can also be used for combat.