Lt. Commander
Anyone else in the same situation?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm considering it... since I'm a lifer...

I'm just afraid the foundry will be a big rubber stamp that lets me stick 5 of whatever that zooms around in a circle until I engage it... with some text in between engagements.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post

I'm just afraid the foundry will be a big rubber stamp that lets me stick 5 of whatever that zooms around in a circle until I engage it... with some text in between engagements.
It;s really not. Just play some mission on it. Your a lifer, no harm done. Just patch up and play.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Quote:

My first mission in the Foundry (which I ported to Tribble and now to Holodeck) has absolutely no combat or scanning.

What you do in the mission:
  • Visit Vulcan's Forge.
  • Investigate a political group on Vulcan (responsible for violent uprisings against the current war effort)
  • Negotiate a peace talk between the powers-that-be and the political reform group.
  • Obtain a blood sample (through some gritty means)
  • Learn about a new joint-faction group trying to detect Undine infiltrators

It's called Drawing Proof and it works for what it attempts to do: avoid combat and avoid scanning games.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I haven't tried your mission yet Darren but tomorrow, but also try Cojoined, fantastic story driven mission.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Me too
04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
I am with you OP. I got The Foundry email and am going to give the game another go. I was here at launch but various issues drove me away. Now player content (diplomatic missions!!!) + a new gaming rig = me back on the bridge of my science ship. I am going to patch up tonight after work and I am looking forward to it.

One question. I have not played for over a year..how long will it take to patch? Can I do it tonight and still play or should I overnight it? No, I am not using dial-up!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperus
I haven't tried your mission yet Darren but tomorrow, but also try Cojoined, fantastic story driven mission.
Seconded - Cojoined is really first class.

I went on half heartedly to try out the Foundry on Tuesday, ended up playing for hours on Tuesday and Wednesday night, had an absolute blast. Been very impressed with how much good content there is already, and how non linear it is.

Cryptic has a epic hit on it's hands with editing tools this good (not just STO specifically, but in general) - at least if they keep polishing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
So, you came back to pay to make your own playable content?

That's an interesting approach to games, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfkicker
One question. I have not played for over a year..how long will it take to patch? Can I do it tonight and still play or should I overnight it? No, I am not using dial-up!
You probably have like 4gb or so to patch. Overnight it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:

To be honest? It's about that limited, yes.

EDIT: This isn't to say there's not more coming or creative ways around the limitations; but for average joe schmoe, that's roughly what you can do.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
4 GB will take no time on a good connection... more like 40 GB