Lt. Commander
I am in the process of creating a mission but have hit a road block. I need to know how to create NPCs you can talk to without having them be part of the actual mission. I realize you can use talk to contact but that seems to make it an actual mission objective and that is what I don't want. Is there any other way to do this without making them actual mission objectives?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I am unsure if this is possible with the current state of Foundry tech
U might try using invisible objects around the character that prompt for dialouge selection, but u still may have to interact with those objects.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2011, 06:59 PM
You absolutely can use NPC contacts without having "Talk to Contact" as part of the mission objectives. I needed a bunch of prisoners inside some cells for one mission, but friendly groups will attack enemies, and that doesn't work for prisoners. So, instead, I set up a bunch of NPC contacts that you didn't need to talk to and put them in the cells instead. If I did want to have the option of talking to the prisoners, I could give them a default prompt, which makes the discussion entirely optional and not objective based.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
You absolutely can use NPC contacts without having "Talk to Contact" as part of the mission objectives. I needed a bunch of prisoners inside some cells for one mission, but friendly groups will attack enemies, and that doesn't work for prisoners. So, instead, I set up a bunch of NPC contacts that you didn't need to talk to and put them in the cells instead. If I did want to have the option of talking to the prisoners, I could give them a default prompt, which makes the discussion entirely optional and not objective based.

How do you give the default prompt?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2011, 08:08 PM
should be on the bottom, have to check it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2011, 08:15 PM
You can have a pop-up dialogue that uses a costume and proceed from there.
  • Simply have your character go to a location
  • Have a pop-up dialogue appear afterward with a costume.

Neutral mobs can also be re-skinned with friendly unis, if that's a concern.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks all I was just going to post I actually used my eyes (go figure now I know why god gave me those) and saw the default prompt check box which allows me to do exactly what I want to do.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-03-2011, 01:20 AM
you can also create a new dialogue in the dialogue tab. it will ask you if you want to assign in to a map. click the map you want and then set that dialogue box with the states to activate on completion of a component or on reaching a component.

then place a random reach marker or perhaps a very small object (martini glasses are good) and then assign the dialogue tree to open once you either complete the component (in an objects case) or reach a component in the reach markers case)

you can now have full dialogue trees that are totally optional upon completing an action.

you can even attach later components on the completion of the tree.

someone is asking for a fight and your options are yes or no. set the yes to succeed and the no to fail. then drop a npc group onto the map. have them become visible on completion of the dialogue and they will spawn if you ask for a fight. as the no option is set to fail, if you click no nothing will happen.

this gives you make-shift branching missions.