Lt. Commander
# 1 Inaccurate Reviews
04-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I have two questions (did a search, didn't see this subject):

I published a mission to Holodeck just before the weekend, got a few 3, 4, and 5 star reviews which was great (and I thank those who liked it), but I have received the odd angry review where one NPC character they were supposed to talk to was not available, and that the mission was a "waste of time". To be perfectly honest, I tested and completed the mission countless times both on my Foundry character as well as my Fed Holodeck characters without issue.

1. Are there cases where some NPCs haven't spawned when you have been playing other missions? Or is it just a case of people just not looking hard enough for the dialogue "bubble" above an NPC indicating you were supposed to approach the character?

2. How would you approach the unwarranted negative reviews? I'm leaning towards just leaving it as is and revisiting the storyline in the Foundry to make sure everything's fine, perhaps relocating the NPCs in question to a more obvious location.

Thanks in advance! I just feel really bad when I inadvertently anger people..
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
If there was combat, perhaps the contact died, that appartently happened in a mission I reviewed. I searched the whole colony for a good while checking all the other contacts before I beamed up and back and the mission reset the npc.

I PM'd the author to let him know since I really liked the mission and he was the one that said he had asked around and contacts apparantly can get killed, so he moved that contact.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2011, 04:01 PM
It happens sometimes. Some people are just being jerks, some truly hate it for whatever reason. My missions has a lot of 4 and 5 stars but one person gave it a 2 and 1 a 1. There outliers that I disregard.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-03-2011, 04:08 PM
As long as your mission makes it clear exactly where things are located and uses waypoints, then dont be concerned about a few negative comments. However, if you tend to see the majority of reviews commenting on something, then you might need to take action. Just make sure your mission dialog and waypoints are as clear as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Don't let it get you down.

One of my highest rated missions with dozens of plays has at least one rating of a "1" because it was "boring."

Tastes are subjective.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks all.

I went and made modifications as desired and appropriate to each situation. I kind of figured there would be people out there either not patient/observant enough when the Foundry was first introduced.

Hooray for learning experiences!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-03-2011, 06:23 PM
There is no way to please everyone, but you can tell an honest review from someone who is trying to knock you down a peg. I have gotten good reviews that explain why they could not rate the mission 5 stars. They'll tell you. "You had a few typos and the reach marker at such and such was too small." Then one guy says "Dude, it was bad." That's not a review. It's nonsense. Just ignore it. People who offer actual solutions are being real.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Plus you never know how patient people are. I'm sure there are some out there who don't let combat finish and just see "oooh it's not working, what a waste of time". Then there are probably a lot of people who don't want to read dialog and just click next, next, next, ... and then wonder why they don't get what's going on.

Yeah, it's the creator's job to make sure everything is clear and there is enough information for the player of the quest to find his way around the mission, but what I'm saying is - there are just some people you won't be able to help no matter what.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
It sounds like you're experiencing this problem:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=209747

There really does seem to be some sort of bug dealing with NPC contacts right now.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Hey, I got a review telling me the distance between my two Borg characters was too long.

If only I had any Borg characters....