Lt. Commander
# 1 Foundry question -dialog
04-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok my goal is this :

I want a contact that i can have different options available to talk about depending on where you are at in the mission. The dialog triggers are there, to appear under different circumstances. My problem seems to be this

If I make the contact a direct part of the story, you can't talk to him, till his part comes in to the story, thus negating any optional triggers

If I put him in before his normal part of the story and just add triggers that pop up later, once you talk to him then, you can't talk to him later when it is needed.

If I make the contact outside the mission, and make him optional, once you talk to him, the trigger goes away, the trigger isn't persistant

this is my dilema, how can I fix it please?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2011, 02:30 PM
If ii'm understanding you right, You have:

One NPC that is involved in the story. Does this NPC stay on the same map or do you encounter him/her/it in other maps?

You can have your "PC (Player Character)" Talk to any of your NPC's at any time so long as in your story you use the "Talk to NPC" item. This prompts an actual mission objective in the story to speak with that NPC. Then once you select the appropriate costume you can add all the dialog you wish using the Advanced Editor button under the "Talk to NPC". This should allow you to have branching conversations with the NPC based on your inputed responses. You can use the "Talk to NPC" item as much as you want. If you don't want to specifically enter an Objective into the mission for it you can use the Popup Dialog and just add the NPC's costume.

With that you should be able to accomplish what you are looking for, but the basic idea with conversations is to use the Story and only add the NPC when you need them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredruid View Post
Ok my goal is this :

I want a contact that i can have different options available to talk about depending on where you are at in the mission. The dialog triggers are there, to appear under different circumstances. My problem seems to be this

If I make the contact a direct part of the story, you can't talk to him, till his part comes in to the story, thus negating any optional triggers

If I put him in before his normal part of the story and just add triggers that pop up later, once you talk to him then, you can't talk to him later when it is needed.

If I make the contact outside the mission, and make him optional, once you talk to him, the trigger goes away, the trigger isn't persistant

this is my dilema, how can I fix it please?
Let me summarize what I think you're trying to do, and provide maybe an answer.

You have a contact that has, say, 3 different, distinct dialog threads and depending on what triggers are set by the player you want that dialog available through the contact. Is that correct?

If that's the case what I would do is place the NPC object, say in a room. Bury martini glasses underneath the NPC-- these will be your dialog triggers. MOST IMPORTANTLY, drag a dialog pop up on the MAP portion of the Foundry. That object has other options such as when to pop up. All those dialog objects would have your NPC as the costume.

So then have the player interact with the (unseen) martini glasses. Label the interact button like... "Talk about a", and "Talk about B". Then have the dialog boxes go to visible when martini glass a gets interacted to. When you interact with the martini glass, make the animation talking, with gestures, angry, etc...

Note in this manner I've found it difficult to track progress (as in objectives) because some triggers, states, and behaviors go away once you make an interact object objective out of an object. It also doesn't force the player to perform the action. However, if all it is is fluff/flavor/information, it should work.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah that about summarized it up. I've used the martini technique for other things to great effect, I was just trying to avoid it in this case. It works the closest to what I want to do, so may have to use them I just don't want to. For instance when a contact is part of the story, a little "i" in a bubble appears over his head, if I use a martini glass this does not happen. Alos if I include the contact in the story, the only triggers are "objectives" outside the story I have the option of using "component" and "objective" triggers. "component" triggers btw are the ones I use for my optional objectives. I'm trying to tie in optional and story objectives, thats where the trouble is, and its looking like martini's are the only way to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Did you see part 2 of my branching dialogue video? You can make different buttons of a default text appear and disappear based on different objectives, and you can return to the npc over and over again. So, you can tie in optional stuff and objectives pretty easily that way.

Am I missing what you're requesting, here?

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...alogue-part-2/
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Hi,

Did you see part 2 of my branching dialogue video? You can make different buttons of a default text appear and disappear based on different objectives, and you can return to the npc over and over again. So, you can tie in optional stuff and objectives pretty easily that way.

Am I missing what you're requesting, here?

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...alogue-part-2/
Hey, kirkfat, I've used alot of your videos to get me going on my missions as well they're great!

That option is definitely better than what I suggested (martini technique from your vid as well ha). I didn't even know you can have hide states for dialog buttons. Gives me options.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
That video helped a lot, it is definately closer to what I am aiming for...