Lt. Commander
# 11
04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBones View Post
I'm not sure how much that can be helped. Sometimes the random spawn creates more of those units than at other times. If you're unlucky, it can make for a long fight. Unfortunately you don't have much control over that, other than to try not to have more than one squad in the fight at a time.
Bingo. Also, some of these were high rank NPCs, which compounded the issue I mentioned previously. I've spent quite a bit of time with the Foundry going back to closed beta, so I know you can make balanced missions
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I know what happened, when making the mission and testing it I was using a lower level Tribble toon. I bet there is some screwed up scaling when you are actually playing it at level, or on a higher difficulty. Anyone know any tricks to solve this?

This will probably effect a few fights in my mission, but probably will have the biggest effect on the Mercedes fight and the Captain's fight. (Captains fight is Encounter 3, 1 Cpt, 1 Cmd, 2 Lt. where Mercedes is Just 1 Cpt, 3 Lt.) If the scaling issue also happens in space, the final space battle; where I have a cruiser encounter paired up with a weak squad may be an issue. I don't think it would be anything more then what you would encounter in a patrol mission, the thing is they are both spawning at the 10k aggro range if you are around the center of the map.

Also, the captain's fight I also spawn another group of Ensign's in the Captain's faction and two groups of ensigns of an opposing faction so they all fight each other and have a lot of targets to nix that self healing factor if the player is clever. It seemed like a good, exciting, design at the time but has anyone else tried something like it? Does it work good in actual implementation?

Any group may be a little too much if enough medics and engineers spawn but I'm not sure how I can test/fix this without grinding a tribble character up to RA or something. I can quick fix it by removing Mercedes' team members with just a group of ensigns and similar stuff but I think there may be a better solution out there if anyone knows one...

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and quick fix it all when I get to my STO PC, just worried the final two fights wont be entertaining. But I'll leave that for you to judge.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
It's possible I may need to tweak the fights a little more on my current mission as well. One of the things I tried to do, to make the fights a little different, is to add an ensign-level squad nearby to a stronger one. But if it spawns too many medics, even the ensign-squad could be an issue. The play-test I did with my admiral worked out OK, but it's possible it'll be a pain for other random players. I may have to go back and look.

EDIT: Just tweaked the squad positions a little to minimize this in "Of Minds and Men", and am re-publishing as I type this.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
"Of Minds and Men" (ST-HBF3QVJTL). It's a relatively simple mission, as it was my first, but I hope people have fun with it in any case.
I feel like I'm parroting my earlier post, but I just played your mission and had fun up until the bridge battle. However, the reason I had to stop was different from in the other mission. I got through the fights just fine, but after I defeated the enemies on the bridge I was supposed to talk to a crazed crewman. The problem is, there werent any. I saw them before the fight, but they must have been killed during the battle(from AOE attacks) because they were all gone afterwards. So unfortunately I was unable to complete the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I feel like I'm parroting my earlier post, but I just played your mission and had fun up until the bridge battle. However, the reason I had to stop was different from in the other mission. I got through the fights just fine, but after I defeated the enemies on the bridge I was supposed to talk to a crazed crewman. The problem is, there werent any. I saw them before the right, but they must have been killed during the battle(from AOE attacks) because they were all gone afterwards. So unfortunately I was unable to complete the mission.

This bug is happening to a lot of authors, even on the missions that Q ported. One option that you might consider: Instead of using a talk to contact objective, use an object under the floor of the npc that initiates a dialog popup through triggers. A player will be able to complete the mission regardless of whether the npc is still alive, if they know where to stand.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I went back and tweeked the combat, so that there shouldn't be as much of a difficult time with the curse of randomly spawning heal/shield teams. But with any faction that can spawn healer/eng at random the possibility for the worse case scenario will always exist.

Give it another shot now if you're willing! I'm actually really interested in how people think the whole feel of the mission goes in the end.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I feel like I'm parroting my earlier post, but I just played your mission and had fun up until the bridge battle. However, the reason I had to stop was different from in the other mission. I got through the fights just fine, but after I defeated the enemies on the bridge I was supposed to talk to a crazed crewman. The problem is, there werent any. I saw them before the fight, but they must have been killed during the battle(from AOE attacks) because they were all gone afterwards. So unfortunately I was unable to complete the mission.
I saw someone complain about that on another mission here on the forum somewhere. I wish there was a way to make the contacts immune to AOE damage. This never happened in any of my tests of course. *sigh*
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
I saw someone complain about that on another mission here on the forum somewhere. I wish there was a way to make the contacts immune to AOE damage. This never happened in any of my tests of course. *sigh*
OK, what I did was put the fight after the other interactions, as a surprise beam-in. That should solve it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
This still counts as a new-b question I guess so instead of a new post, I'll just keep it here.

I made my mission after a 5 month break from the game and when I formatted the text, looking back, I did it a bit different then the standard STO missions. Mainly I used mission text for a lot of highlighting of key words and objectives and used OOC for the normal after dialog "Hey, do this" cliff-notes. In the experience of you folks with more time in the foundry, do you find that kind of format distracting and think things should be as much like the Cryptic missions as possible? Or is the highlighting of key words a welcome tool for reading the text?

Also, I got tired of seeing the "Continue" button in dialog everywhere. Although I left the captain dialog vague, do you find you or players prefer the simple continues in conversation and think the 'voice' of more personalized responses is a nuisance? Or do you like that stuff so long as it isn't appearing to direct your captain's mode of speech or action?
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-377 View Post
This still counts as a new-b question I guess so instead of a new post, I'll just keep it here.

I made my mission after a 5 month break from the game and when I formatted the text, looking back, I did it a bit different then the standard STO missions. Mainly I used mission text for a lot of highlighting of key words and objectives and used OOC for the normal after dialog "Hey, do this" cliff-notes. In the experience of you folks with more time in the foundry, do you find that kind of format distracting and think things should be as much like the Cryptic missions as possible? Or is the highlighting of key words a welcome tool for reading the text?

Also, I got tired of seeing the "Continue" button in dialog everywhere. Although I left the captain dialog vague, do you find you or players prefer the simple continues in conversation and think the 'voice' of more personalized responses is a nuisance? Or do you like that stuff so long as it isn't appearing to direct your captain's mode of speech or action?
Using highlight and OOC is fine and actually does a good job of doing things like emphasis or focusing on making sure the player knows the objectives. You're not necessarily bound by what Cryptic uses these for. There may be contention there, true, in what people expect that formatting to be however. You can probably mitigate it by just being consistent with your missions. Players would assume then what your formatting is typically used for within the context of your mission.

The 'Continue' button I leave as is when my captain doesn't really have anything to say or I want to break up the dialogue to more than 1 frame/window. But usually I try to make any kind of captain like comment and make it as neutral as possible (words like 'agreed', 'understood', 'initiate' etc.). I think the more personalized response over the continue is preferable, but I have tripped over some players in my mission who have mentioned my "voice" in those buttons don't fit their captain's vision/persona. So there is a risk there.

Mixing it in perhaps is your best approach.