Lt. Commander
# 31
04-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Well with a new Dev attempting to take over the PVP portion of the game, maybe we can get a few questions answered. I hope that they can answer some basic questions, if they are thinking of keeping the instanceing or using persistant for Open PVP/Territory Control. If I have missed any posting/interview where it has been descussed please post a link.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I have heard a dev talk about wanting to use fleet control starbases in territory control in the neutral zone. i have also heard wanting to use players decommissioned ship as defenses.

the only way i can see this working is by using instances. if you spread starbases across the neutral zone; you could only put a small number of these bases in the zone. There are hundreds of fleets.

But it could still work. For example; lets say there are 12 starbases on each side of the neutral zone. 12 for the klings and 12 for the feds. for each base you enter a instance ( like sol or k9). this is where the fleets fight to defend the bases ( multiple Fleets would share this instance). the next instance of entering the starbases is where the fleet member enter their own bases (The instance would send the fleet members to their fleet owned base; tailored to them). The fleets base would be placed within one of the 12 bases in the zone. fleet members would feel ownership over that base even if the battle instance is shared. (Player can't be everywhere; some player will want to attack bases and some will want to defend ). I think that resources can be spread out with the more location in the neutral zone. Hopefully there would be ground and spaces bases.

If you will be able to decommission a ship for defenses then why couldn't we do that with our crew members for ground defenses.

Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Honestly, this is not easily addressed. In WoW, the PvP maps were heavily PvE for a while, but they removed virtually all of the NPCs at some point because people did wonder what the hell they were clearing trash out on a PvP map for (think AV).

Now you get a few NPCs and an end boss to kill. I'm not against the mix of NPCs in a PvP zone as long as it enhances the end result, which is the competitive conflict.

Killing the other guy's boss before the other team kills yours is very competitive, and you can use PvP tactics to prevent it.

The best model I can think of for STO would be a zone similar to Kerrat where there is a mutual objective each team is working toward, and the first to secure it wins; and thus controls the zone for an hour or two hours until the next match.

Hm, I guess that's somewhat similar to wintergrasp, isn't it. Damn it.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Sector control

20 fed vs 20 kling. bops starting to sneak, decloak, psw, cpb, kill, run, lolcloak. 5 fed dies 1 kling dies. then again. lolbop FTW in pvp. Cant wait for this...
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-06-2011, 04:32 PM
And there should be a 30km safezone to avoid spawngank