Lt. Commander
# 1 Maps Are Too Pixelated
03-31-2011, 08:29 PM
The maps should have a WAY higher resolution, or be vectorized, or something. I have no idea where the heck I can or can not place things on an interior bridge map, because I have no idea where the chairs are, or where screens/consoles are, because the map is basically a giant blur. Same goes for most maps on the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
We used to be able to use /loc before they fudged it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
We used to be able to use /loc before they fudged it.
You have to be playing the map to use it. I mean in the editor. Half the maps I can't place stuff well, since the maps are pretty much useless.

Of course, /loc isn't any help either, at elast vertically... don't know if the 2D coordinates are as crazy between playing and editing as they are vertically.
Lt. Commander
Takes forever to place things as you cannot get the corners. There should be some form of snap to object, or auto-alignment.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
The maps should have a WAY higher resolution
Didn't one of the Breen featured episodes feature a higher detail map?

I agree though, they definitely need to have a better image for placing objects.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
From the April Ask Cryptic:
Quote:
Q AdmGriffiths: Can you please explain how the Foundry will be used to edit interiors?
A: Our early designs for the interior editor were quite simple and easy to use. From a top down perspective, you had a grid and could drop premade rooms of various sizes on the grid. You then could connect them with hallway pieces and then determine where to place doors. Objects were then the last thing you could drag and drop. It felt a little bit like designing a house in the Sims. When we add this functionality back into the editor, we hope to retain this simple easy to use interface.
Connecting rooms and hallways is great and all, but how exactly am I supposed to place objects when I can't tell if this line of pixels is wall, or a bed, or a chair, or a....?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Quote:
From the April Ask Cryptic:

Connecting rooms and hallways is great and all, but how exactly am I supposed to place objects when I can't tell if this line of pixels is wall, or a bed, or a chair, or a....?
Because those bounding boxes are getting replaced with image representations.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Because those bounding boxes are getting replaced with image representations.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. What bounding boxes?

What I mean is on an interior map, like a Federation bridge, I can't even tell where the helm is, because it's a giant blur of pixels. The blur I see could be the helm console, or it could be the stairs that lead to said console.

On ground maps, it's even worse, since things like those mushroom plants completely block the view of the actual ground - not that it matters, since the vertical placement is apparently completely wonky, and placing two things manually with the same vertical coordinate in the editor can result in two different levels in the actual map.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Well, I hate how half the time I try to place something on certain maps and I can never find out where is actually is. Example: I was making a map utilizing the Starbase 24 interior, and any time I tried to place an NPC in the hallway or in the room with the Starfleet logo on the floor, when I went to test out the map, I couldn't find those NPCs anywhere. I double and triple checked to make sure they were made visible "immediately" but still they wouldn't show up. And then if I took that NPC and moved them into a different room, they would suddenly be there. I don't know if for some reason they were getting placed on the "roof" of the map, or where they were endingup.

Also, I don't see why Cryptic can't just make it so that you can place items while "testing" out the map, so that I can get a complete 3D range of motion for if I want to place lights on the roof, or have the ability to fine tune exactly where I place an object.

And as for the maps, I wish there was a layered map so that you could view the floor plans for individual floors. For instance on Qo'noS where there is an upper lever that overhangs the lower level, I don't believe it is possible to place a character on the lower level, or place a character under a ramp, etc.

The idea of allowing characters to place items while in the "test" view would also solve that problem, as I could manually explore the upper or lower levels and place things whereI want.

I also would like to see the abilities to "beam out" NPCs when you interact with them (give them the same visible----> invisible option as objects). In addition, I wish I could delete actors individually from mobs, so that if I wanted a boss fight with only the main antagonist of the story, I could have him fight alone without being supported by other NPCs.

The last big thing that I've realized that I have wanted (so far) is the ability for a hostile NPC to transition into a NPC contact.

Example: I could specify that when in combat with enemy X - when his HP falls below 20% then he becomes an NPC contact so that I can have scenarios where a character surrenders during a fight, etc.

I've tried to work around this by having an actor in an NPC group to have the particular costume I want, and then when that group dies, I have an NPC contact in the same costume appear (triggered by the group's death). But that still leaves the awkward issue of having the NPC contact standing there, with the enemy of the same costume (supposed to be the same character) layiing dead a short distance away.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. What bounding boxes?

What I mean is on an interior map, like a Federation bridge, I can't even tell where the helm is, because it's a giant blur of pixels. The blur I see could be the helm console, or it could be the stairs that lead to said console.

On ground maps, it's even worse, since things like those mushroom plants completely block the view of the actual ground - not that it matters, since the vertical placement is apparently completely wonky, and placing two things manually with the same vertical coordinate in the editor can result in two different levels in the actual map.
have you ever made maps in other games? ue for e.g?