Lt. Commander
# 1 Advice on new system
04-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi and thanxs for looking.

Im building a new pc and im stuck as to what Graphics card to get and would like to know if any1 on here had any advice on which one is best my budget is about 250 to 300 for the graphics and 400 for the rest and im going to be getting a 28inch monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 to run with it. I mainly play STO and WOW.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
If you want to stay at the price point you listed the GTX 570 would be more than enough card for you to really enjoy the game. The AMD based equivalent is the 6950 but in my experience nVidia cards seem to perform better overall than AMD in STO.

If you want to save a little money I would look at a GTX 560 which sould also give you plenty of headroom for game play.

When it comes to picking the card, pick based on STO performance as it is a bit more of a GPU strain than WoW.

Either the GTX 570 or 560 should do you fine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I was thinking of maybe a 5870 in crossfireX? or maybe a gtx 470 sli rig
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Crossfire and SLI when they are working are great but the key is when they are working. They add another layer of potential mess to the graphics solutions. Some games see them correctly and give a great boost, others not so great and others not at all.

Whenever possible a single larger video card is better than dual. This is not just from configuration and stability but also heat and power consumption.

If you want to SLI you will have to go with an Intel solution, if that is the case then I would suggest dual GTX 460 (1 gigs). If you go for a crossfire solution I would do dual HD 6850.

Both of these cost a little less but will deliver outstanding performance.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
ATI cards tend to be a bit better than Nvidia these days in benchmarking and after that driver update that fried everyones Nvidia cards the other month I wouldn't trust one. Myself I just picked up an ASUS 6950 for $309 aussie dollars and it has WoW on ultra settings at anywhere from 70 to 205 FPS.

STO runs smooth too on highest.

Btw if you do get a video card like that don't spend as little as you are on the rest cause it will bottleneck the video card.

For that video card you should be looking at a sandybridge i5 or i7 computer with at least 4 gig of DDR3 RAM and a decent motherboard.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteed1 View Post
..driver update that fried everyones Nvidia cards the other month..
if you mean the 196.75 divers thats old and not listed anyways, i have installed every whql and beta driver to the latest version (270.51 beta) and have never fried a card and am on a gtx580 self overclocked to 875/1750/2100 atm
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemyrex View Post
Hi and thanxs for looking.

Im building a new pc and im stuck as to what Graphics card to get and would like to know if any1 on here had any advice on which one is best my budget is about 250 to 300 for the graphics and 400 for the rest and im going to be getting a 28inch monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 to run with it. I mainly play STO and WOW.
Self build I take it?

700 for the whole system?

28" monitor won't be cheap if your paying for it (as new), I would go smaller and use the saving on the system its self.

I would go for a (Quad core CPU (more apps can make use of them now)
MOBO with USB3/SATA 6GB, 4-6 ram slots depends on choice of CPU.
4GB of RAM (with the option of extra slots for upgrade at a later time)
single GPU (easier to configure and problem solve) will in most cases use less power and produce less heat
1+ TB of hard drive space should keep most gamers happy, with extra for other things you mite use.
650W+ quality PSU, most people over look how important a PSU is. Corsair are one of the best brands I've used in my 13+ years of building PC's
Case with good air flow.

An intel set up will cost more for the CPU and MOBO but you should get better performance in most cases (some mite disagree)
AMD will provide great value (with out losing to much vs intel) and allow you go spend more on the other parts.

GPU wise I can't fault my 460GTX and would recommend Nvidia for STO, but I've not used ATi in a long time.

MSI GTX 560 TWIN FROZR II: 185
Zotac GTX 560 Ti AMP Edition 210 (comes with a massive OC and 5 year warranty)

570 start from 260+

You best do some research

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Z...dition/18.html