Lt. Commander
# 101
04-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Hey all! If you've sent me the request it's on my Review List.

There is a bit of a problem though. Myself, along with a lot of other people in my general vicinity, have been unable to log into the forums or the game for the last couple of days.

Since the patch I can now log into the forums, though it takes about 2 minutes to load a single page, but right now I'm staring at the game launcher, unable to log into the game at all.

I'll continue reviewing missions as soon as I'm able to log into the game again. Unfortunately there's no telling when that will be.
Lt. Commander
# 102
04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
STARFLEET

Frontier Pioneer
ST-HHCH7436S
by Kahn

"Starfleet has intercepted a transmission of unknown origin in the Beytan System. The signal is very weak and Starfleet would like you to investigate further."

Final Rating: 2 Stars

Synopsis:
Admiral T'Lee of the USS Utopia asks you to beam down to Beytan II with her to investigate the mysterious signal. Once on the ground she has you running around scanning pieces of debris.

During this process you get ambushed by 3 groups of Romulans simultaneously. Afterward you have to beam up and fight the Romulans in space.

Problems with the mission: Several plot holes. I didn't understand why Beytan II was being treated as an unsettled colony world on the edge of space when it's a core Federation world less than 10 light years from Earth.

The Admiral mentions having to beam up and go report back to Starfleet. We're less than 10 lightyears from Earth, we can call them from here.

When I asked the Admiral why the Romulans are you she replies; "I'm technically not supposed to tell you this, but seeing as you are here anyway." What? I'm a Vice Admiral, and I'm the operative on scene. That means that I am cleared for this information. And I didn't just happen to be here, you called me here.

Which reminds me, why am I even here to begin with Admiral? Why couldn't you and the hundreds of crew aboard your ship handle this problem?

During the ground fight we were hit by 3 groups of Romulans, all at once, with multiple medics and engineers. The mission is listed for levels 16+, but if they could wipe a Vice Admiral with all purple gear then I really doubt that a level 16 character straight from the tutorial is going to be able to handle them.

Final Thoughts: It has the beginnings of a good story, but there are just too many unanswered questions. What happened to Pioneer 11? What do the Romulans want with it? And why am I even here to begin with? Admiral T'Lee is here, why doesn't she and the crew of the USS Utopia handle the situation?
Lt. Commander
# 103
04-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Hey all! If you've sent me the request it's on my Review List.

There is a bit of a problem though. Myself, along with a lot of other people in my general vicinity, have been unable to log into the forums or the game for the last couple of days.

Since the patch I can now log into the forums, though it takes about 2 minutes to load a single page, but right now I'm staring at the game launcher, unable to log into the game at all.

I'll continue reviewing missions as soon as I'm able to log into the game again. Unfortunately there's no telling when that will be.
I hope they corerect the forum issue soon, as I see in game that you did manage to play my mission "A Relic's Return"; and said in the in the player review comments - "Full review in my thread." I'm honestly very curious to read your thoughts on the mission.

(And right after I hit submit on this post - two reviews, (including the one for my mission ), appear (See PF's next post.)
Lt. Commander
# 104
04-07-2011, 06:35 PM
STARFLEET

A Relic's Return
ST-HRGENW9BK
by Armsman

"Kintara Prime, a newly discovered UFP applicant world that mines and supplies dilithium for the Federation war effort, has requested diplomatic assistance. The Orion Syndicate have taken a 150 year old relic of great cultural signifigance, and the Kintarans want it returned."

Final Rating: 5 Stars

Synopsis:
Upon entering the Briar Patch, on the way to Kintara Prime, you're briefed by a Federation ambassador on the situation. You're authorized to take whatever steps are necessary to resolve the situation with the Orions.

During the approach you're forced to engage several groups of Orion ships. An Orion operative contacts you, brags that they've secured the mining rights with Kintara Prime, and warns you to leave.

You enter standard orbit and beam down to speak with the representative of the Kintaran government. He explains the full nature of the relic and asks for Federation assistance.

After beaming back up and scanning the remains of several Orion vessels, your science officer believes he's determined the location of the Orion staging area. To Be Continued...

Problems with the mission: Opening blurb: significance is misspelled.

Final Thoughts: A very good, and very Trek storyline, with excellent dialog between my captain and his bridge officers.

The first objective in the Mission Tracker told me exactly what system and sector block to go to and the author continued with that type of exact instructions throughout the entire mission. It was definitely a nice change of pace from all of those missions where I end up wandering around, no mission circle on the map, trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go. I don't want to speed through a mission, but wandering around lost is just an unfun waste of time.

I almost gave it 4 stars because it was yet another story that's; "... to be continued." I realized that the reason it bothered me is because, unlike a lot of other 'part ones', I actually want to know how this story ends!
Lt. Commander
# 105
04-07-2011, 06:39 PM
So as you can see, I got lucky, and was finally able to log in. It only took a half hour's worth of starting the launcher over and over and over again.

Next up on the list: Defend the Empire and Prison Break, both KDF missions. That is assuming that I can log back in. Wish me luck!
Lt. Commander
# 106
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
STARFLEET

A Relic's Return
ST-HRGENW9BK
by Armsman

"Kintara Prime, a newly discovered UFP applicant world that mines and supplies dilithium for the Federation war effort, has requested diplomatic assistance. The Orion Syndicate have taken a 150 year old relic of great cultural signifigance, and the Kintarans want it returned."

Final Rating: 5 Stars

Synopsis:
Upon entering the Briar Patch, on the way to Kintara Prime, you're briefed by a Federation ambassador on the situation. You're authorized to take whatever steps are necessary to resolve the situation with the Orions.

During the approach you're forced to engage several groups of Orion ships. An Orion operative contacts you, brags that they've secured the mining rights with Kintara Prime, and warns you to leave.

You enter standard orbit and beam down to speak with the representative of the Kintaran government. He explains the full nature of the relic and asks for Federation assistance.

After beaming back up and scanning the remains of several Orion vessels, your science officer believes he's determined the location of the Orion staging area. To Be Continued...

Final Thoughts: A very good, and very Trek storyline, with excellent dialog between my captain and his bridge officers.

The first objective in the Mission Tracker told me exactly what system and sector block to go to and the author continued with that type of exact instructions throughout the entire mission. It was definitely a nice change of pace from all of those missions where I end up wandering around, no mission circle on the map, trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go. I don't want to speed through a mission, but wandering around lost is just an unfun waste of time.

I almost gave it 4 stars because it was yet another story that's; "... to be continued." I realized that the reason it bothered me is because, unlike a lot of other 'part ones', I actually want to know how this story ends!
Thanks very much for the review; I'm a little shicked in thatt I honestly did not expect to see 5 stars on it from you (but drfinitely happy that you liked the story so far.)

As for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon

Doh! I ran every bit of in mission dialogue through a spell checker; but I forgot to do that with the Foundry description field. (I'll fix this when I update the ending "To Ve Continued" popup to include the next mission's name. The way I had the full story originally plotted ouut and broken down, I was initially planing on 3 missions total to complete the story; but given how (and I can indeed understand why) many players seem to be turned off by story arcs in the Foundry, I working to wrap everything up (without sacrificing anything in the next mission, which I'm working on.

At my day job however, we're currently doing a major hardware rollout and network switch upgarade across 10 sites; so my free time has been a lot less of late; but Part 2 (and finale if things work out) of "A Relic's Return is being worked on (I plan tro devote a good bit of my weekend time to working on it.)

Again, thanks for taking the time to play and review "A Relic's Return". I will definitely announce when the next mission for it is up and ready (and ask for a review of that as well if you're still offering to do reviews at that time.)
Lt. Commander
# 107
04-07-2011, 09:37 PM
KLINGON DEFENSE FORCE

Defend the Empire!
ST-HEP22MMEG
by Elkysium

"Strange readings have been reported near the penal colony of Rura Penthe. A large Federation force has eluded the Klingon defense grid. The last known coordinates were near the Pi Canis and Omega Leonis Sector Blocks."

Final Rating: 3 Stars

Synopsis:
You make contact with the warden of Rura Penthe, their sensors are still offline, and the Ferengi merchant is overdue with their replacement parts.

Entering the asteroid belt in search of those strange readings you find a hidden Federation invasion force and base. After destroying the ships and the communications satellite they were using, it's time to beam over and clear out the base.

After executing the Federation dogs, freeing the Ferengi merchant and hacking into the base's computers, you find the Federation's plans to strike Qo'noS itself.

You beam out and immediately warp to Qo'noS, once there you join the fight to defend Qo'noS. Once the last Starfleet ship is destroyed you're invited down to Qo'noS and join in the victory celebration.

Problems with the mission: I had to get very close to the communications satellite to trigger the pick up to continue, same thing with beaming down the Federation base afterward. Both times I thought the mission was bugged. The trigger volumes on both should definitely be enlarged.

In the Northwest room of the Federation base there were multiple groups that were so close together it was not possible to only aggro one group. Fighting one group of enemies with multiple engineers and medics isn't real fun, fighting two of those groups at the same time is just aggravating.

Running around clicking on 157 different computers trying to find the one that would take the code that I was given got annoying after awhile.

Final Thoughts: The story is simple, but serviceable, and well done. The space portions of the mission looked great and were very well done.

I think I'm one of the few people in this game that actually likes ground combat, but the portion of the mission in the base was so annoying that it caused the mission to lose a over a full star. It still merits 3 stars though, because I round up.
Lt. Commander
# 108
04-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
STARFLEET

Frontier Pioneer
ST-HHCH7436S
by Kahn

"Starfleet has intercepted a transmission of unknown origin in the Beytan System. The signal is very weak and Starfleet would like you to investigate further."

Final Rating: 2 Stars

Synopsis:
Admiral T'Lee of the USS Utopia asks you to beam down to Beytan II with her to investigate the mysterious signal. Once on the ground she has you running around scanning pieces of debris.

During this process you get ambushed by 3 groups of Romulans simultaneously. Afterward you have to beam up and fight the Romulans in space.

Problems with the mission: Several plot holes. I didn't understand why Beytan II was being treated as an unsettled colony world on the edge of space when it's a core Federation world less than 10 light years from Earth.

The Admiral mentions having to beam up and go report back to Starfleet. We're less than 10 lightyears from Earth, we can call them from here.

When I asked the Admiral why the Romulans are you she replies; "I'm technically not supposed to tell you this, but seeing as you are here anyway." What? I'm a Vice Admiral, and I'm the operative on scene. That means that I am cleared for this information. And I didn't just happen to be here, you called me here.

Which reminds me, why am I even here to begin with Admiral? Why couldn't you and the hundreds of crew aboard your ship handle this problem?

During the ground fight we were hit by 3 groups of Romulans, all at once, with multiple medics and engineers. The mission is listed for levels 16+, but if they could wipe a Vice Admiral with all purple gear then I really doubt that a level 16 character straight from the tutorial is going to be able to handle them.

Final Thoughts: It has the beginnings of a good story, but there are just too many unanswered questions. What happened to Pioneer 11? What do the Romulans want with it? And why am I even here to begin with? Admiral T'Lee is here, why doesn't she and the crew of the USS Utopia handle the situation?
Thanks for the Feedback. I've already adjusted the mission to add some more dialog to the mission and explain a few of the questions. I also added the ability to call support on the ground map should anyone wish to use it. In addition I've decided to turn the mission itself into a "mini series" to dig deeper into the mystery with the Pioneer 11 probe. The second mission in the series "Pioneering the Frontier" has been published and should help answer a few other questions.

Again thanks for the feedback. I hope you will get a chance to swing back and try it again some day.
Lt. Commander
# 109
04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I just posted my 20th review. Yay!

Coming up next:

Market Crash
The Gemini Effect, part 1

EDIT: Whoops. When I posted this I forgot that I hadn't posted the review for Prison Break yet. Fortunately I have detailed files to keep me organized. So the review for Prison Break is up now and Market Crash and Gemini Effect are indeed next.
Lt. Commander
# 110
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks a million Peregrine_Falcon!

Unfortunately you caught me in the process of modifying my ground. I was experiencing the same thing you were, at pretty close to the same time. It's been corrected.

157 computers? There was 3... The others were 'illusions'. To make the player 'feel' like they were searching, if they wanted to. In actuality there were only 3 that needed to be searched...Like the mission tracker says.

I will adjust the satellite and base triggers points.

Thanks again!