Lt. Commander
# 91
04-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Even in a small company, a COO is not likely to get involved in the detailed bits of a single product like STO. Putting aside the specific criticisms of Zinc for a moment, I wouldn't expect this to have a huge effect. Except that if Zinc likes STO, it means STO has another advocate at the executive level, and that's Never A Bad Thing.

As to criticisms...folks, it's really, really hard to know who was behind what. Timelines are long, and we don't know which aspects that we love (or hate) of the game can be attributed to which person. So my inclination is to give all that a pass and just wait and see. Bottom line: I trust Dan Stahl, because he's earned that trust. Until he leaves and/or indicates that things have to change, I'm a happy guy.
Lt. Commander
# 92
04-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd like to reiterate as I did in the interview that I am very happy that Craig is back at Cryptic Studios. He and I have been in regular contact ever since he left and having him back in the Studio is a huge benefit to STO because he knows the game and knows what the team has done with it since launch. He and I work well together and you're only going to see more goodness in the updates to come.

It is no secret that we've always had a smaller than normal team compared to other studios. Even wikipedia seems to point to the different staffing levels of various companies. The point is, our team kicks huge amounts of butt and we will continue to deliver the massive levels of updates moving forward that we already have in the first year.

Over the last few months I've been talking about how we have been rearranging schedules and working towards more content. All the changes happening around the STO team and have Zinc back are going to help that.
Lt. Commander
# 93
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Zinc has a very bad reputation for having made wild and grandiose claims and statements that have ultimately proven to be untrue.

That was my biggest problem with the guy. He didn't seem to shoot straight only tell people what they wanted to hear.
Lt. Commander
# 94
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Which were about the story or his directing?

So did Paramount. So if you really want someone to blame for letting it happen, it was them.
They let it happen, sure... They like making money... LOL

... but then They also pretty much gave JJ Carte blanche, to do as he pleased.
Lt. Commander
# 95
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'd like to reiterate as I did in the interview that I am very happy that Craig is back at Cryptic Studios. He and I have been in regular contact ever since he left and having him back in the Studio is a huge benefit to STO because he knows the game and knows what the team has done with it since launch. He and I work well together and you're only going to see more goodness in the updates to come.

It is no secret that we've always had a smaller than normal team compared to other studios. Even wikipedia seems to point to the different staffing levels of various companies. The point is, our team kicks huge amounts of butt and we will continue to deliver the massive levels of updates moving forward that we already have in the first year.

Over the last few months I've been talking about how we have been rearranging schedules and working towards more content. All the changes happening around the STO team and have Zinc back are going to help that.

Why don't you see if you can pick up some SOE developers, there are a lot of them looking for jobs, granted yours is a smaller company, but compared to where a lot of them are at THIS moment, they might be willing to adjust.
Lt. Commander
# 96
04-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
My only real problem with Zinc was that he jumped ship when the game needed a leader the most. Dan stepped up and steered us clear of the rocks. I just fear that, now that the game has improved drastically, he wants back in. It just doesn't sit right with me.
That's just not how I see it at all. What with getting the game together, being STO's "public face" and main media contact, and probably being the point man for a lot of internal corporate pressure, I couldn't blame him for wanting to step away once the game launched. If he had confidence in Stahl's leadership and the competence of the team as a whole, why shouldn't he take a break? Especially if other more personal matters needed attention, as his announcement indicated...

It was also pretty clear to me that the door was always open for a return as well - and I doubt anyone at Cryptic would hold it open if they thought his main motive was to hitch a ride on other people's successes.

Give it a rest, guys. He's back. The whys and wherefores are between him and Cryptic, and the consequences, both good and bad, can't be accurately guessed by anyone else. How 'bout we welcome him back, rather than poison his return?
Lt. Commander
# 97
04-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshadow9498
What good is having Picard as the Captain, when you have Zapp Brannigan as the Admiral?
I stand by my statement, even if it does got moderated later.
Lt. Commander
# 98
04-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Why don't you see if you can pick up some SOE developers, there are a lot of them looking for jobs, granted yours is a smaller company, but compared to where a lot of them are at THIS moment, they might be willing to adjust.
NO SOE DEVS, dear lord no. We dont need a startrek card game that puts more content to that then in game. KEEP SOE DEVS AWAY *shutters*, theres a reason why people left swg... its due to the devs
Lt. Commander
# 99
04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
NO SOE DEVS, dear lord no. We dont need a startrek card game that puts more content to that then in game. KEEP SOE DEVS AWAY *shutters*, theres a reason why people left swg... its due to the devs
Yes and no... the NGE was mainly the fault of Smedley, who became the Director at SOE, in fact, quite a few Devs and CSR's ended up quitting or outright being fired because of their feelings on the NGE. THAT more than anything is the fear I have with OUR situation here.

If Zinc wants to come back and he keeps things flowing smoothly, more power to him, but it's not the first time I've seen this move, and it has come back to haunt some other games.
Lt. Commander
# 100
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Yes and no... the NGE was mainly the fault of Smedley, who became the Director at SOE, in fact, quite a few Devs and CSR's ended up quitting or outright being fired because of their feelings on the NGE. THAT more than anything is the fear I have with OUR situation here.

If Zinc wants to come back and he keeps things flowing smoothly, more power to him, but it's not the first time I've seen this move, and it has come back to haunt some other games.
Ohh yes most defenetly Smedley *shutters*. I played swg for over 3 years. I know all its history ect. But ill illiterate again, no dev from swg should even be over here. I mean common, i checked back to swg er.. few months ago and the big update was "fishing leader board" really.. i mean wow... laim. Iam not saying ever dev over there is horrid but the fact remains they did no good for the game nor listened at all to the community that continue to tell them that they were going on a road (dark one at that) and most likely end up killing a good chunk of the player base.. and what happened, people left. And Ill never buy an SOE product again, and hey iam a big superman fan and i wont play there dc universe online...because its an soe product.

I do see alot of similiarities with this dev team and it scares alot (sto dev team). There issue is that there a very small group. And the fact is this game is still behind on where it should be. The fact now that its going to be almost what.. 3 months and no content.. that hurts the game period. I mean people are paying 16 bucks a month to play a game that stillll has no end game content. And I said this before I wouldnt have a problem with it, if the game when it came out had enouph content in the game to allow a 3,4,5 month gap of content and then get a huge dose of content after that.

But going back onto this issue of Zinc, yep I dont like it eather.
Closed Thread