Lt. Commander
# 21
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
played it and loved it. the mining colony was visually awesome to look at. it felt real. dialogue was punchy and trek like as well.

a real pleasure to play.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
This was a fun mission. I liked how the characters really seemed like they had some kind of depth and weren't just paper dolls that spew text.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Wow. I'm amazed at the response to this!

The inspiration behind "Brains Before Bounty," in fact, was a desire to add another layer or dimension to the culture of the Ferengi. The Ferengi are one of my all-time favorite Star Trek races, in part because they stand apart as unique from all the other characters we see on the show. Too often, however, they've been played as two dimensional, be they villains or comic relief. I think there's plenty of potential there and opportunities to explore the Ferengi in regards to their culture, society, laws, customs, and codes of conduct. With "Brains Before Bounty," I wanted to suggest some elements of Ferengi culture we've not yet seen.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and their constructive criticism! Based on some of the reviews I've been receiving, I've made minor adjustments to the mission and released the first significant update (Version 2.0). This mainly involved scaling down a few of the mercenary mobs and clarifying early mission objectives. One of the aspects of the Foundry which is going to continually prove challenging, I think, is to determine just how combat is going to play out in a wide variety of circumstances for different players. The experience is different, after all, for each player or group. Thanks to all those who took the time to post a review.

Now back to work on my next mission... which, at this point, seems to be taking on a life of its own!
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
Now back to work on my next mission... which, at this point, seems to be taking on a life of its own!
Can't wait to see it. You did an awesome job with your story, very well written. The angle you took with the Ferengi is spot on and I like how you added some depth to them beyond what was typically seen in the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
Can't wait to see it. You did an awesome job with your story, very well written. The angle you took with the Ferengi is spot on and I like how you added some depth to them beyond what was typically seen in the shows.
Thank you! And I can't wait to see your follow-up to "Just Another Day" (ST-HQKARNLSG). Your first mission for the Foundry taught me a few tricks, too!
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
I just ran the mission and I really liked it. It had a real Trek vibe to it and unlike so many other missions you don't have to kill hundreds of enemies soldiers or scores of enemy warships to finish it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Yep, played it tonight and gave it 5 stars. Just very pleasantly put together and well written.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Literally one of the only missions I've ever actually quit out of in frustration.

I wanted to like it, I really did think the dialogue and setting was fantastic. But after being wiped, one-shotted twenty times in a row by those ****ing annoying Nausican mobs on Advanced, I had to spend just as much time trying to get out of combat to quit.

Lt. Commander
# 29
04-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Literally one of the only missions I've ever actually quit out of in frustration.

I wanted to like it, I really did think the dialogue and setting was fantastic. But after being wiped, one-shotted twenty times in a row by those ****ing annoying Nausican mobs on Advanced, I had to spend just as much time trying to get out of combat to quit.

Thanks for your feedback, Walshicus. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the mission. The Nausicaan mercenaries are meant to pose a serious challenge but they're not meant to be impossible. I may have to scale back the difficulty on the last two mobs in my next version. As I noted above, one of the serious challenges involved in creating a mission in the Foundry lies in attempting to gauge how combat will play out for different players at different levels with different difficulty settings. As in Star Trek Online proper, I'm sure the elite setting is going to prove problematic in some cases. Again, I'm sorry you weren't able to finish the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
Thanks for your feedback, Walshicus. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the mission. The Nausicaan mercenaries are meant to pose a serious challenge but they're not meant to be impossible. I may have to scale back the difficulty on the last two mobs in my next version. As I noted above, one of the serious challenges involved in creating a mission in the Foundry lies in attempting to gauge how combat will play out for different players at different levels with different difficulty settings. As in Star Trek Online proper, I'm sure the elite setting is going to prove problematic in some cases. Again, I'm sorry you weren't able to finish the mission.
On reflection I have over-reacted here. It is still a great mission and I was just frustrated I couldn't get further in. The Heavy infantry was one-shotting me on Advanced.

I don't know if I can change or remove my review, but will try. If you do tweak it down a teeny bit, I really think it would play better. Until then I may have to experiment with a new Away Team.