Lt. Commander
# 1 Klingon Academy
04-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Darren_Kitlor posted a thread recently looking to consolidate a group of missions that he would call the Klingon Experience. That thread can be found here.

The very first thing that popped into my head was the old Klingon Academy game. To me that was an excellent game that really went into what it means to be a Klingon Captain. It went over Code of Conduct and how a Klingon reacts and thinks. Something I would like to do is recreate, modernize, and update to STO standards the missions and stories contained in this game. That would include updating the missions to include ground portions where relevant.

This is something I don't feel I could do alone though. The project would be a massive undertaking and it doesn't help that Klingon Academy will not run on modern computers. I am also uncertain Where such a project would stand copyright wise. While I fully intend to use characters and events from 2409 and rewrite the missions accordingly I am wanting the lessons to remain more or less as they are. Furthermore I'm not sure how collaboration on missions could work.

I would like to know if anyone else would be interested in assisting me on making such a series of missions. I'm looking for people who really enjoy the Klingon culture, feel they have a good understanding of it, and a desire to help tutor other players on how to be Klingon.

Questions? Concerns? Volunteers?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I love the idea. KA is one of my favourite games. I have been thinking along the same lines about both Starfleet and Klingon Academy, I simply discarded the idea because of the projects size. I think the games would translate well considering STO has the Klingons and Federation in a war. The actions of the Vanguard (SFA, I realise you are talking just KA) and the Klingon war simulations (KA) wouldn't seem out of place. I only played through KA a couple times back in the day so I am pretty sketchy on the story.

I've not tried on Windows but KA will run on modern machines under Linux with wine. There are some visual glitches here and there (your ship is sometimes invisible etc) but works quite well http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=3596. (I occasionally get nostalgic and run some of my old ST games)

I'd be interested in assisting in whatever way I can. I don't have much foundry experience at the moment. I've been following podcasts etc while it was on Tribble but only a week before the move to Holodeck did I bother to dabble in it. This weekend I have started my first attempt at a mission (I say start, I've come up with story ideas :-) ).

Regards,
Adam

P.S. Did you ever play KA online (back in the mplayer/gamespy days)? My fleet (The Mercenary Order/Imperial Klingon Command ... you might recognise that last one ... IKC) formed based on a group from KA. My handle was Burt, we also got Skulldron, Devil Hawk and others.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-10-2011, 02:09 PM
I never played it Multiplayer. SFA would probably work as well although I didn't like SFA anywhere near as much as KA so I don't generally even think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Didnt they say recently they planned on doing a KA or starter type missions for the KDF
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-10-2011, 05:20 PM
If I remember correctly, from Season 4 on you will be able to play a Klingon from day 1 which means the KDF need tutorial missions. The tutorial missions just give you an idea how to play the game (combat, crafting, difficulty slider etc) and hopefully entice trial players into the game. What we are discussing is a set of foundry missions based on the story of the game Klingon Academy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnDrKn0Z0Y). The basic plot is you are a Klingon training to be an officer (so you do training missions based around a hyperthetical war with the federation) during which the school leader (Chang, who would obviously have to be replaced with a different character) uses you for a couple covert missions to establish what is going on with an up and coming civil war. You then graduate and take part in the war. The game is based just before undiscovered country. Inquizitor is proposing to translate the story to 2409 (for example you could replace the training simulations with actual war skirmishes and slip the civil war into STOs story arc) and create some foundry missions based on it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-10-2011, 09:32 PM
The game has an over arching plot but Klingon Academy is broken in two halves. In the first half you are a cadet learning to be a Klingon captain. In this half you are taking part in a war scenario against the Federation while learning how a Klingon would deal with situations.

In the second half you have graduated and have your own command. You then take part in unraveling a plot that is driving the Klingon Empire into civil war. The entire plot line sets up Star Trek 6. Now obviously we would need to rewrite portions of this story in order to bring it up to 2409 standards but I think the main plot line of both halves should be salvageable.