Lt. Commander
I was just looking at some reviews of a mission I've published, and I was wondering:

Can we have some sort of checkbox that says "English is not my native language"?

So people know that when they enter a mission that is not made by a english grammar and spelling expert, so they know what they are going into?

Thing is, appearently my mission is good, but since I am not an expert in english spelling and grammar, there will of cause be elements that are not 100% correct.
But people seem to pay alot more attention to spelling and grammar than the actual story, so I would like a way to prepare people for the fact that theese errors might actually appear in dialouges throughout the mission.

Or perhaps just a way to indicate that the missions we are making may be under development and not nessacarily be perfect?

While on the subject: How do you spell "Troubble"? (as in dilemma, issue, problem)
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
While on the subject: How do you spell "Troubble"? (as in dilemma, issue, problem)
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I would just stick a comment at the end of the mission journal text that says that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Hehe... Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Quote:
But people seem to pay alot more attention to spelling and grammar than the actual story, so I would like a way to prepare people for the fact that theese errors might actually appear in dialouges throughout the mission.
I wouldn't rate a mission low solely based on poor English usage, however it would certainly take me out of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I would just stick a comment at the end of the mission journal text that says that.
The above suggestion is good.

Too bad there isn't a way to flag a mission as "editing requested". A self-professed grammar nerd* could then come along and proofread the the story text and offer corrections. Ah well.

* = I'm one of the rare kinds of people who would actually do this. We're fun at parties.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2011, 05:50 AM
The worst thing its when you make a mission that its not on English and you even make a OCC statement that the mission its on Spanish, but you still get a average of 5 to 10 reviews telling you "Man, this its a English server, 1 for your effort" or something like that.

Yesterday we have a guy that rate bad ALL no English mission (all the 6 or 7 on Spanish and a lot of German too) because they wasn’t on English!

One guy rate a spanish mission with 1 beacose he didnt knew where to go beacose he didnt understend spanish!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v View Post
I wouldn't rate a mission low solely based on poor English usage, however it would certainly take me out of the story.
Well, you may not, but this one guy rated my mission a 3, even thoug he clearly states in the review, that it would have been 4 had it not been for thoose minor mistakes (and they were minor... seriously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerritouru View Post
The worst thing its when you make a mission that its not on English and you even make a OCC statement that the mission its on Spanish, but you still get a average of 5 to 10 reviews telling you "Man, this its a English server, 1 for your effort" or something like that.
This... and the idiotic thing is: There is no such thing as a "english" server... All the games connect to the same server rack, so who is the one who is stupid? The one who made the spanish mission... or the douche rateing it poorly because of it?

I have taken the mission trough a spell check, and most of the mistakes are gone, but even so, the people who "dumbed it down", are unliekly to go re-play it, so the rating wont change :S

If you guys are up to it, feel free to go check it out, because even though it may still have some spelling and grammar errors, I am hoping to get them killed off over time, and that's what reviews are for.

It is called "Transwarp trouble"... I'd like some more feedback, as I am enhancing the mission based on the reviews.
Lt. Commander
# 8 English?
04-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Reading the posts in this thread, I could not help but wonder about the 'starter' mission that I am currently building and how it may be assessed and rated by others.

I would be quite put off if my mission was given a low rating based simply on the perception of the rater that my grammar or spelling was poor. That said, I do understand how badly written dialog can put users off!

Though I am an 'english native', I am sure my spelling and grammar will be incorrect at times! Even the most educated amongst us sometimes make a 'typo', use regional variations on spelling or comit the occasional gramatical error.

Furthermore, I am English and tend to use English variants of spelling such as 'colour' as apposed to the American 'color'. I can hardly wait till I get chastised and rated down for spelling in English rather than American English!

As for my grammar, she sadly passed away a few years ago!

Joking aside, I do think the OP has a very valid argument. I am unsure as to what should be done to alleviate the problem though.

I cannot check the Foundry as I write this due to my (STO) installation being verified. As I recall, Foundry users are able to put a note about language in there project details. Though (reading here) the language does not seem to be shown on published mission briefings!

Until Cryptic add a drop down menu to allow Foundry mission writers to specify 'Mission created by non native English speaker.' or 'Mission language: xxxxx (insert language.)' I would recomend that at the begining or end of a created mission briefing, if a mission primarily uses any other language than English, the auther add a note to tell the user which language is used.

Sadly, there will always be people using Foundry created missions that will downrate a mission simply because it is in a language they are not familiar with. Some users will actively search missions to downrate because they are prejudice against users that speak another language too, this is just a sad fact of life!

Edit: I just this moment got the Foundry up and running! There is a language drop down menu in the 'Project: Project Info' window. If, as it seems from reading this thread, the language information is not being published alongside the mission briefing for any newly published work, then this needs to be addressed by the dev team!
Lt. Commander
# 9 spell check
04-11-2011, 06:23 AM
I know my 1st attempt at making a mission wasn't the best. out of all the ideas i had, the entire STORY changed once i started.
now to my point.
i spent a WHOLE weekend writing a story, and after a while you start getting sick of reading the same things and don't see the mistakes. i know for next time to not only story board it, but also do it in a document editor that has a spell check -

is much faster to then paste the spell check result back into the dialog boxes in the foundry -

Spelling can then be blamed on the dictionary - I know the one i use says I spell things wrong a lot, i also know it's americianisms and not the english i was taught in school.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
I was just looking at some reviews of a mission I've published, and I was wondering:

Can we have some sort of checkbox that says "English is not my native language"?

So people know that when they enter a mission that is not made by a english grammar and spelling expert, so they know what they are going into?

Thing is, appearently my mission is good, but since I am not an expert in english spelling and grammar, there will of cause be elements that are not 100% correct.

Or perhaps just a way to indicate that the missions we are making may be under development and not nessacarily be perfect?

When I review I make a note that the grammar etc wasn't that good, but I always say that I did not mark the mission down on that. I would never mark a mission down based on english language skills because of the international audience of STO, and also because some people may have learning difficulties.

If I were you I would put it in the mission description at the beginning, this would stop people thinking negatively about the dialogue and spelling before the mission starts.