Lt. Commander
Basically an NPC or object to interact with, that moves the player/player party/whole away team/ship based on dialog choices somewhere in the mission, be it on the current map or any previous or upcoming map in the same Foundry mission. Also when moving between ground and space or space and ground you wouldn't appear as a ship on the ground or as a character in space, but that part is of course obvious.

Is this doable or not doable with an NPC or object? And if it's not doable then can anybody explain how to accomplish this some other way? I'm talking about being able to go loop back to story that you've been to, especially returning to previous maps that you've moved from already.

I'm trying to make a mission where wrong choices cause deja vu or especially good choices cause skipping of some nasty stuff, and I can't figure out how to do this. Starting to think it's undoable right now. We can only make Dialog arrows do that and not Story arrows. Unless it's not done with the Story at all but you actually can bypass objectives?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2011, 02:45 AM
In my experience. No, not really. Not directly at least.

As far as I know it's not currently possible to beam / warp to another part of the same map. You can only 'jump' a player by triggering a map transition. And map transitions always go to a set spawn point. It's not possible to change the spawn point based on any sort of choices the player makes.

However, I'm currently playing with some ideas that would make it harder on the player if they make bad decisions using the visibility state of objects and NPC's that depends on components being completed.

Doing this it would be possible to add or subtract things from the map if they interacted with a certain object. For example, messing with the wrong computer terminal might cause a forcefield to appear forcing the player(s) to have to take a long route full of enemies vs a short simple route to their next goal or the right terminal could cause it to disappear. On a similar note it might cause extra enemies (or friendlies) to spawn somewhere on that map.

I've discovered two limitations though.
  1. You can only cause changes based on actions, never inaction. I could create a condition where things happened because the players did something but I can never create one where something happened because the didn't do something. So, for example, you can make something bad happen because the players chose to use the wrong computer but you can not have something bad happen because the player didn't touch the right one.
  2. Objects can be added or taken away but NPC's can only be added. Once you spawn any kind of NPC on the map you can not remove them. So start your map with the minimum number of NPC's visible.

I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but I hope that helps you come up with something.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Yea not what I was looking for but good info for sometime later.

I do hope Cryptic eventually adds the ability for dialog windows to invoke map changes to any map in the mission and also allow moving the player around the same map. The way I'd do this ideally is if moving on the same map to set respawn points then make the dialog choices tied to specific respawn points, and if sending the player to a different map in the mission to use the.default entry point for that map.

Thanks.