Lt. Commander
# 1 Scan Area - Feature Request
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
This button remains useless since the launch of STO. Its located on the area map and all it does is tell you how many anomalies are on a map. The same thing the key V does but at least V shows you what direction the nearest one is.

I always hoped that they developers had intended to be able to scan a system in a way more fitting to Star Trek. If you scan the area, it should show you where the anomalies are on the map. In addition to that, it should show you where all the ships in the system are. I'm sure everyone is familiar with how frustrating it is to only be able to see in a 25-30km circle around your ship in a universe where ships are supposed to have sensors able to detect things from light years away.

If the view distance is an engine / performance limitation, you should at least be able to scan the map and see blips of where things are located instead of flying around aimlessly while your watch officer scouts with his binoculars.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
quick note: it does the exact same thing the "v" key does; the "v" key is simply a shortcut.
Maybe you are hitting it too quickly? I know if I try scanning twice in a short period of time I do not get the blue ray telling me where the next interact able object can be found.

while I do see your point, don't count on getting any changes. This is not essential, not even degrading playing performance really. Also, you should use your brain instead of relying on the game to tell you your every move. C'mon, don't expect everything to be handed to you on a platter.
I am not trying to insult you in any way, I am simply criticizing the fact that what you want is apparently a way to find the next objective automatically, without reading the text, or understanding the mission. That ruins the whole point of a storyline.

If I misunderstood your intention, please enlighten me.

just imagine everyone is using stealth tech, and you have to be close to them to detect them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I already covered the 'V' key as being superior to the scan area button. In regards to mission objectives, the game already directs you to the next objective through the V key and/or the white circles on the map. What I am mainly concerned with is the ability to locate ships on the map. Mapping of anomalies would just be a bonus.

I don't want to imagine everyone using stealth tech because there are already people actually using it. If an enemy ship was cloaked it would not show up on your map. If an enemy ship was using mask energy sig, it would not show up on your map. If a ship was hiding in a nebula, it would not show up on your map. Currently if you are in a war zone or deep space encounter the only way to find ships, enemy or friendly, is to actually fly around the map until they are in visual range, and to me that is degrading my enjoyment of the game.

I don't want things "handed to me on a platter" I want my ships sensors to actually work and give me the information needed to actually come up with some sort of strategy other than "fly around, see enemy, shoot enemy"
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
This is not essential, not even degrading playing performance really.
Well, it does impact game play when anomalies are stuck underground (which happens quite frequently on KDF outdoor ground maps). Then it's back to the Mk I Eyeball for finding the next mission objective, since scan can't tell the difference. I really think scanning should differentiate between mission objectives and anomalies with different colored scan pointers.

As far as detecting ships, there's really no need. In space, the map circles the areas where mission objectives are so you pretty much know where stuff is. I wouldn't object if scanning was changed to show ship locations, however. I just don't think it's really necessary.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Agreeing with the OP, I've always thought that once I've scanned an area, all scanned items ought to show up as pips on my mini-map and more detailed icons on the main map. It is really frustrating on ground maps to go to a broken anomaly and not be able to then see any of the other anomalies on the map because you are only pointed to the closest (ie broken) anomaly.