Lt. Commander
I was thinking about including some dialogue [word-for-word, not paraphrased] in a mission from the 2009 movie and I wanted to know if anyone knew if I'd be breaking any rules.

(this wouldn't apply to just the 2009 movie; I was wondering about all series and films)

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2011, 03:00 AM
this is a bit of a minefield.

XI is not owned by CBS, its own by paramount. Other than referencing the destruction of romulus or spocks disappearance as they have already been mentioned in the game, no you can not use that dialogue.

this is where the waters get muddy, the other films are owned by CBS and are ok to reference any part of them but im not sure you should be using dialogue word for word. i dont know the context of your idea is but i would steer clear of it if i was you. you can talk about the events, maybe even bring up a phrase or two (maybe bring up a famous speech, or a captain log here and there if its important) but copying what happened exactly is touch and go in terms of using someone else's work.

perhaps if you explained what you are planning it would be clearer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2011, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
this is a bit of a minefield.

XI is not owned by CBS, its own by paramount. Other than referencing the destruction of romulus or spocks disappearance as they have already been mentioned in the game, no you can not use that dialogue.

this is where the waters get muddy, the other films are owned by CBS and are ok to reference any part of them but im not sure you should be using dialogue word for word. i dont know the context of your idea is but i would steer clear of it if i was you. you can talk about the events, maybe even bring up a phrase or two (maybe bring up a famous speech, or a captain log here and there if its important) but copying what happened exactly is touch and go in terms of using someone else's work.

perhaps if you explained what you are planning it would be clearer.
No problem. The exchange I wanted to use was this one.

You come upon a damaged enemy ship and offer assistance to them. Their response is...

I would rather die in agony than accept assistance from you.

Realizing that they could do more harm than good if rescued, the Captain's response is...

You got it. Arm phasers. Fire everything we've got.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2011, 03:39 AM
i would have thought that would be ok as its quite generic.

if you can change the lines ever so slightly then all the better, if for no other reason than to make your work unique. some people may mark you down when reviewing your mission if they feel that your using an existing line.

ie, Ha, Accept assistance from you? I would rather die in agony.

it still says the same thing but its yours. (well ok its technically mine, but you get the point).
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2011, 03:46 AM
It's not uncommon in stories for there to be references, or tips of the hat, to other works of fiction. You don't get in trouble for plagiarism for using a couple sentences that are the same. That said, using anything from the 2009 movie is seriously suspect in my opinion. In particular I found those lines/the ending of the movie to be the most un-ST thing I'd ever seen.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
It's not uncommon in stories for there to be references, or tips of the hat, to other works of fiction. You don't get in trouble for plagiarism for using a couple sentences that are the same. That said, using anything from the 2009 movie is seriously suspect in my opinion. In particular I found those lines/the ending of the movie to be the most un-ST thing I'd ever seen.
This. The literary term for such a device is called an "allusion." Authors have been using it for thousands of years. It is also a very Star Trek thing to do... how many times have we seen our villains and heroes quoting Shakespeare or Melville? There is no issue with IP or copyright and it is not plagiarism unless you copy pages of text, use it in the same exact way as the original and pass it off as your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSLover
We know we can't use characters from the shows and movies
You know, I see this said quite often around here but it's not exactly true. According to the Foundry terms of use, "you may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties." What you can not do is use the actor's likeness. If you take a look at Cryptic missions, you'll notice Worf is now white or that Scotty and McCoy don't really look like the actors who portrayed them. We are allowed to do the same thing. Whether you want to is another question and, no doubt, it will not go over well with your mission's reviewers to see Spock as a red haired Vulcan with giant scars and an epic beard.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks a lot for your answers, guys! You've really helped me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
You know, I see this said quite often around here but it's not exactly true. According to the Foundry terms of use, "you may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties." What you can not do is use the actor's likeness. If you take a look at Cryptic missions, you'll notice Worf is now white or that Scotty and McCoy don't really look like the actors who portrayed them.
Yeah, sorry about that; I should've been more specific, but, since it was almost 4 AM, I wasn't thinking very straight. :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
You know, I see this said quite often around here but it's not exactly true. According to the Foundry terms of use, "you may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties." What you can not do is use the actor's likeness. If you take a look at Cryptic missions, you'll notice Worf is now white or that Scotty and McCoy don't really look like the actors who portrayed them. We are allowed to do the same thing. Whether you want to is another question and, no doubt, it will not go over well with your mission's reviewers to see Spock as a red haired Vulcan with giant scars and an epic beard.
this is a confusing issue but this is not quite right either. we are not allowed to do the same thing. stormshade recently said he made a mistake earlier and they are not allowing characters to appear. even if you make them look completely different, its still a no no, and must be avoided.

they have used characters in the past and im unsure exactly how they have gone about obtaining those images but there are several factors to take into consideration.

The actors who played both scotty and bones are both dead which probably has an affect on the likeness rights and probably makes them easier to obtain. also yes these characters dont look massively like their real lifer actors but that is probably a lot to do with the tech cryptic use to makes faces. its not exactly perfect in the first place so they can only do an approximate job. worf for example is meant to be 30 years older than in nemesis, so the hair and skin discolouration is probably more to do with his age than a deliberate attempt to make work look nothing like michael dorn.