Lt. Commander
# 21
04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
I've spent the entire day creating my mission and it is far from complete. I spent hours on Foundry while it was only on Tribble. I also plan to create a video for it and a page, as I will do with all missions I create.

I just got wondering, how long does it take to cook a good Foundry mission.

I logged in this morning to find a whole list of missions and here I am still working on my one. I think it will take another day, maybe another 2 depending on many objects I put on the map for decoration etc. Now sure many people would have copied their text from Tribble and had a good idea of how to go about putting their story board together quickly but if you are going all out.

Is there a general number of hours that you'll need to spend on a mission to get five stars?

Obviously there will be the occasional mission that just cracks us up or impresses us with innovation but I think we all know these will be few and far between.

I'm thinking 24 hours. Maybe half that if your taking your storyline from somewhere it already exists but to really make your storyline work with the constraints Foundry has, you need to do a lot of changes to your original plan which seems to take the most time. i.e. I started by asking users to get into a shuttle, bad move. I continued with the idea but cancelled it. This was due to not being able to set interaction with the Select Your Ship console as an objective on Earth Space Dock. I've also just realised by adding Borg maps, the mission is level 41 up, do I now change the last half of my mission and that will take more hours?

Anyone else spent today making a mission and being patience enough to not release it until it is perfect?

Or am I just being a perfectionist
I've spent 3 months and only one person other than I has played the entire Mission. The Chimes At Midnight. A 3 parter on Tribble and a One parter in the making on Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Okay Foundry has been on Holodeck nearly 3 weeks now and so far I'm up to the third map of 8 for my mission transfer from Tribble. So ouch. I have also nealy hit the limits on NPC groups, Contacts and Objects for each map.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I did my first mission in about 6 hours after playing with the tools for a couple of hours. I already had the story in mind when I was playing with the tools so I could see the limitations of the foundry and adjusted my plan accordingly.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
Okay Foundry has been on Holodeck nearly 3 weeks now and so far I'm up to the third map of 8 for my mission transfer from Tribble. So ouch. I have also nealy hit the limits on NPC groups, Contacts and Objects for each map.
Maybe you may want to make your missions in episodes?
If some of these missions are anything like the fan-fic I write for my LARP, a good mission can easily take weeks. But so far, we've played quite a few of community-made missions. One was even showcased at a company meeting, just to the possibilities show off to the folks who've not yet had a chance to check the tool out.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I've got 4 in the cooker right now kinda working on them as a group put one up already Dogs of War took me most of sunday to cook since i was still getting used to the tool but i'm finding it pretty fast to work on them now not so much the maps since they take a long while but the story boards and speach are pretty easy to set up and get a good flow going. Only thing i hate is i can't really play test my own stuff real well since there is no good way to lvl as of yet. So its hard to tell how they will react at higher tiers.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
If some of these missions are anything like the fan-fic I write for my LARP, a good mission can easily take weeks.
Tell me about it. Currently on third week of mission building. Thankfully at this point the only things I have left are writing in the story and then filling in the NPC details. All the map building work is done.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
My first mission for the Foundry, "Brains Before Bounty," took me about a week. Working on that mission taught me a lot about the process and ultimately served to raise my own personal standards for the future. I'm currently at work on my second Foundry mission and it looks as if it will take approximately three times as long to complete... and, in the end, it will be about three times as complex as its predecessor.

As others have noted, the "cooking" time will vary depending on how much attention to detail, how much thought, and how much effort each player is putting into their missions. Each mission, each episode, will have its own demands.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Maybe you may want to make your missions in episodes?
If some of these missions are anything like the fan-fic I write for my LARP,
I think you're just throwing nerdy words together to fit in, Wishy. :-)

Fanfic... for a LARP? But isn't a LARP by definition really immersive fanfic?
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-12-2011, 05:51 AM
I thought my second would go faster than my first since I'm more familiar with the tools, but unfortunately I had 2 days of "writers block" and couldn't decide on the best way of going forward. Thankfully I'm done and just polishing up some details but it really is a lot of work that goes into doing a Foundry mission.

Though having spent quite a few hours in the Foundry, I'm dying to know what the toolset the dev's use looks like.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
I thought my second would go faster than my first since I'm more familiar with the tools, but unfortunately I had 2 days of "writers block" and couldn't decide on the best way of going forward. Thankfully I'm done and just polishing up some details but it really is a lot of work that goes into doing a Foundry mission.

I hate writer's block. I'm having it this week myself. I haven't started on my third mission yet since I'm still just tossing around ideas.

My first mission probably only took about 6 hours once I actually started on it instead of goofing off in the editor. My second one was about 15 hours. This excludes the tweaks, fixes, and additional playtesting I did after publishing. I'm only including the hours before publishing the first time.