Lt. Commander
# 41
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I like the idea of using the Foundry to create your own tutorial for game elements. At least as a start or "proof of contept". The devs probably could build a better mission as they have more tools at their disposal to design a mission.

Foundry Bridge Officer Ability Tutorial

This mission tries to explain some basic concepts in this game that can help you to make meaningful decisions on your power selection. The mission is ultimately limited by the capabilities of the Foundry, and you will have to play by informal rules to get by.
Interesting tutorial suggestion. I would break them up into three tutorials, though. While you can do all three with one build, trying out dedicated tank/dps/heal loadouts would be ideal to teach people how to run certain abilities most effectively.

For example, my current build on my Star Cruiser captain will have no problem with the tank scenario, but would probably do horrible with the dps section of the tutorial. Or my BoP captain would be able to cruise through the dps segment but get pwned by the tank part.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Rather than asking for things to be NERFFED...

Why not ask for Another Thing to be BUFFED to compensate for what is perceived to be over-powered??

That way it puts the whole thing in a positive light rather then a negative one.
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post

Why not ask for Another Thing to be BUFFED to compensate for what is perceived to be over-powered??

That way it puts the whole thing in a positive light rather then a negative one.
It's situational. If skill/tactic A is by design a counter to B, but doesn't one may buff A. However, the buffed skill/tactic A may then counter skills/tactics C,D,E,F,G as an unintended consequence. Considering the multivariable uses of skills and tactics there is no easy way to find a solution. Buffing, nerfing, or changing a role altogether requires forthought and then practical testing. If one just takes turns buffing/nerfing skills w/o forthought and testing, then people just end up chasing their tails w/the current OP skillset.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post

Chicken or Egg really. This goes both ways if over buff something then you will here pros and cons to nerf that skill or buff another to compensate. Nerfing is safer method because it has less effect on balance because you can buff it up more or back to pre-nerf levels. The problem with buffing something to out of balance is people fall in love with that skill then get made when it is nerfed when it is determined to be OP'd again the whole thing with buffing or nerfing is a chicken and egg scenario. I mean when they Nerf BFaW there will be QQing for weeks afterwards because so many have fallen in love with the OP'd ness of the skill.
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
Chicken or Egg really. This goes both ways if over buff something then you will here pros and cons to nerf that skill or buff another to compensate. Nerfing is safer method because it has less effect on balance because you can buff it up more or back to pre-nerf levels. The problem with buffing something to out of balance is people fall in love with that skill then get made when it is nerfed when it is determined to be OP'd again the whole thing with buffing or nerfing is a chicken and egg scenario. I mean when they Nerf BFaW there will be QQing for weeks afterwards because so many have fallen in love with the OP'd ness of the skill.
Eh nerf buff cycle is what it is. It is really a waste to get your Boxers into a bunch over it. After you seen it go around a couple times most folks tend to forget about it and play the game.