Lt. Commander
# 11
04-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyyy View Post
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I always liked the PvP in SWG.
The best part about it, PvP was open world and could happen anywhere at any time. There are spacific PvP zones, but they are not instanced and there are no q's, you are just flagged for PvP automaticaly while in the zone.
Unfortunatly with the way sector space is set up, open world PvP may not be possible. But a PvP zone would be nice. A spacific system open to both factions, anyone can warp in and join the fight. The sides may not be even often, but they naver usually are in war.
They actualy made a que system for what they call "battlefields" so it is there now, However, not that many used it, after the new shiney wore off, in favor of Restess open PVP and/or the new "city battle" system where PVE and PVP was both important to the cause.

But, I agree 110%. The old base battles of yesteryear (pre-CU and even CU) were very enjoyable. Was always fun to equip that saber and watch the scatter altho you pretty much ended up on the BH terms shortly thereafter. lol
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusch View Post
Automated Tournaments
Besides many fps games which track the scores of the players also Guild Wars comes in my mind since it had an system which generated tournaments for groups which had to sign up for it at an NPC in game.
LOTRO gives players a "Renown" bonus when ever they bag a living player. Players with higher renown are worth more renown bonus when you bag them. X amount of renown equals a new rank. There is gear in LOTRO you can only purchase when you get to which ever level. The gear is nice PvP gear, not over powered, but little bonuses with some trade offs that keep them balanced. A nice bonus to help get people into PvP.
Makes for a fun end game, game. Getting more renown and getting your name to the top of the leader board.

A system like that could be lots of fun. Could even give some renown type rewards for capturing points as well as getting killing blows on good players.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
Eve online has good pvp, a great deal technical and there are alot of attributes to marvel over. true its not for the faint at heart but it is something to look at and is growing
This, as the vast majority of the game including non-combat aspects and the scale of both combat and non-combat pvp is huge. There's an all's fair in love and war attitude, so don't expect trust and kindness to be high on your fellow gamers priority list. The combat isn't as twitchy as some may like and game play in general can come to seem more like a job and less like entertainment. That said I know some pirates in the game who make good income off of blowing up their fellow players.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
STO could have great PvP, if a few core mechanics were looked at and fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
STO could have great PvP, if a few core mechanics were looked at and fixed.
This.

Warhammer Online has been my overall favorite PvP game. RvR is just fun. I just wish that fighting in the capitols didn't suddenly turn into PvE with PvP interference -- all the castle sieges and stuff you have to do to get to the capitol is fun, but the capitol itself is kind of dull.

Three things Warhammer gets right:
1. The classes aren't balanced directly against each other. In general, each is a useful member of a team, but in 1-1 it's okay for one class to hard counter another.

2. Some abilities do different things in PvP and PvE. There are certain things that need to work for PvE, that would just screw up PvP too badly, so in Warhammer the ability has two effects. For the most part the player doesn't need to change their rotations or anything; taunting a player for example doesn't force them to attack you, it just gives them a nasty debuff if they don't attack you, so if you reflexively taunt at the same time you would in PvE you still get something out of it.

3. The game is balanced for PVP first, and then adapted to PvP. PvP is the harder part to balance, and every ability effects every other ability, so it makes sense to fix PvP first and then just adjust PvE health and DPS as needed. Going the other way, designing the PvE game and then adding PvP, is doomed to failure since you'll just have to rebalance everything for PvP anyway.

STO actually has very fun PvP, it's just been suffering form a lack of attention IMO. Abilities are found to be imbalanced for PvP in testing, but feedback gets ignored and then they wreck PvP. Abilities that have long been useless still are useless after a year. Basic functions like the ability to avoid targeting objects are still broken (and honestly spam wouldn't be such a concern if there was a way to just tab-target between the 5 player ships). PvPers still need to do a lot of PvE to get competetive gear (in fact we *mostly have to PvE, which makes me really mad at the PvE-players -- I really resent having to suffer through their lame repetitive
grinding just to play the part of the game that's fun.)

All of that is relatively simple stuff. New maps might be nice, but that's harder to implement than just giving more PvP emblem quests. I'd love if I could spend all day PvPing and earn something other than my 3 emblems for the quest; if I could also somehow earn crafting materials so I didn't need to spend hours buzzing around scanning anomalies I'd be ecstatic. I'd love if the devs could fix the stuff that could be accomplished by writing a few quests and adding items to a store.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
This.

I'd love if I could spend all day PvPing and earn something other than my 3 emblems for the quest; if I could also somehow earn crafting materials so I didn't need to spend hours buzzing around scanning anomalies I'd be ecstatic.
Actually thats an interesting idea. Perhaps we should be able to earn a few resources from every ship we blow up in PvP. This could encourage some of those Afk'ers or ppl who rush in only to die the next seconds to actually try to kill something.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-15-2011, 10:36 PM
MMOs that are widely considered to be (or were) PvP focused and have (or had) good systems:

UO (the granddaddy of all MMOs)

Shadowbane

Guild Wars

EvE

Darkfall

DCUO (the new kid on the block)
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-16-2011, 05:21 AM
STO Space have the potential to be the best online PvP game, but it does not look like cryptic wanna go that way
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidemand82 View Post
STO Space have the potential to be the best online PvP game, but it does not look like cryptic wanna go that way
I very much agree. Ground actually has a lot of potential too. Both ground and space play very differently from most MMOs. The disappointing thing is that there are a few simple things that would make STO PvP much better. #1 would just be to add missions and vendors so you could get gear from PvP which is equivalent to PvE or crafting -- it doesn't even need to be different gear, but time spent PvPing ought to be as productive as time spent PvEing or crafting.

Another super-simple thing which would help lower level PvP is to make an experience point package which is purchasable with excess PvP tokens. Similar items already exist, they'd just need to be added to the PvP vendors.

Other than that, the most obvious fix for both ground and space is to add the ability to only target players.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-16-2011, 08:04 AM
WOW's pvp is pretty good.

STO's needs alot of work though. And not just new maps either. It needs new game modes, to go with that, along with a dev team that actually listens to tribble feedback before they put something out the door to live.

Tribble shouldn't amount to being just "Hey test the new cheese build before it goes live, so you know what ship and skill set you should be using!"