Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeriel
A Foundry mission* is never completed, you just stop working on it.

* or a book, a song, etc..
indeed

/10char
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBones View Post
I hate writer's block. I'm having it this week myself. I haven't started on my third mission yet since I'm still just tossing around ideas.

My first mission probably only took about 6 hours once I actually started on it instead of goofing off in the editor. My second one was about 15 hours. This excludes the tweaks, fixes, and additional playtesting I did after publishing. I'm only including the hours before publishing the first time.
Yea I tried to avoid that by not even starting till i had the story fleshed out in my mind for a 5 mission set. Used the recorder on my cell phone and everytime my mind hit me id just say it and save it. took about 2 weeks till i though i had a story in mind. Just now as of sunday set down and even looked at the tools and popped out the first one since it was all space that day. When i get to the ground i know its gona take a lot longer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
04-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adohi
Yea I tried to avoid that by not even starting till i had the story fleshed out in my mind for a 5 mission set. Used the recorder on my cell phone and everytime my mind hit me id just say it and save it. took about 2 weeks till i though i had a story in mind. Just now as of sunday set down and even looked at the tools and popped out the first one since it was all space that day. When i get to the ground i know its gona take a lot longer.
I think what hit me the worst was I had planned out exactly what I wanted, then realized the Foundry couldn't handle it so I had to try and think of something else to do. While the story is obviously important, I'm really big on the atmosphere of the environment too and the things going on around the player. The most fun I have in the Foundry is trying to the environments match what I have in my head.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think you're just throwing nerdy words together to fit in, Wishy. :-)

Fanfic... for a LARP? But isn't a LARP by definition really immersive fanfic?
Yes and no. My LARP group had a forum where we run "downtime" things. 'What did your character do while not playing those 4 hours you do every Friday?'-type stuff. And every 2 weeks, we get a challenge from our Story Tellers. A topic is given and we write about our character along the topic.

...maybe I'll steal that idea for the STO boards... >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
I think what hit me the worst was I had planned out exactly what I wanted, then realized the Foundry couldn't handle it so I had to try and think of something else to do. While the story is obviously important, I'm really big on the atmosphere of the environment too and the things going on around the player. The most fun I have in the Foundry is trying to the environments match what I have in my head.
This sadly can happen in most media.
Two things I suggest here:
  • Check what else you could possibly do to avoid X
    This is something that you sometimes see done in movies. You'd like to have a certain effect or a certain atmosphere, but something limits you. That can be your budget, that can be time restrictions. Sometimes just shuffling about pieces can help.
    ...and if not...
  • Re-Write a block to make things fit.
    Take a few steps back and check how far back you need to retrace your steps to exclude something and still tell your story. Sometimes you need to omit something, and it sucks if you do, but taking a few steps backwards and getting yourself re-entered into something can really help you. Not having to fully scrap a story is always preferable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
04-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
[*]Re-Write a block to make things fit.
Take a few steps back and check how far back you need to retrace your steps to exclude something and still tell your story. Sometimes you need to omit something, and it sucks if you do, but taking a few steps backwards and getting yourself re-entered into something can really help you. Not having to fully scrap a story is always preferable.

In the end, that's what I ended up doing. My vision was to take advantage of a map containing a ramp. I wanted to have the player be JUST outside aggro distance, pop a dialog instructing the player to run back for their life as the path ahead was filled with an enormous amount of enemies. I was hoping to get about a dozen groups (spiders, actually) to aggro on the player while they were sprinting away.

In retrospect it was probably an ill conceived idea, especially since you can only get about 4 groups max to aggro on the player. If you're curious how it turned out, try out my latest mission "A trip down memory lane". The section I'm referring too is the second ground map, I think you'll recognize the area

However, thanks for the tips! Part of the fun is pushing the Foundry until it screams "SHE CANNA TAKE ANY MORE OF THIS!!"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36 Im very disapointed
04-15-2011, 07:04 PM
People are abusing the foundry, keeping hush hush about it and yet every one but the Dev's know about it?

I can understand people not wanting to do the whole leveling over 2-3 weeks, repeating stuff over and over, But common now, very rare items selling for face value from millions in a period of 2 weeks?

This just reeks of exploitation.

Cut the drop rate or the levels of all NPC spawns by 5 levels, you can still level but you cant exploit is what im saying.

Flag accounts of exploiting if they create and delete characters more then 4 times per week with to great of a level difference between then, I E Farmers from overseas!

Seriously, Patch this one, because its gonna become very detrimental within a few short months, im talking about paying customers who will up and lose interest in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXVI View Post
People are abusing the foundry, keeping hush hush about it and yet every one but the Dev's know about it?

I can understand people not wanting to do the whole leveling over 2-3 weeks, repeating stuff over and over, But common now, very rare items selling for face value from millions in a period of 2 weeks?

This just reeks of exploitation.

Cut the drop rate or the levels of all NPC spawns by 5 levels, you can still level but you cant exploit is what im saying.

Flag accounts of exploiting if they create and delete characters more then 4 times per week with to great of a level difference between then, I E Farmers from overseas!

Seriously, Patch this one, because its gonna become very detrimental within a few short months, im talking about paying customers who will up and lose interest in the game.
The drop rates appear lower.

I ran a KDF one as a CMDR a few weeks ago on Elite and it was grind city (20+ waves).

Drops were much lower than standard mobs.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 AM.