Lt. Commander
# 1 STO vs Star Trek novels??
04-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I was just wondering what differences the game and the Star Trek novels have in their timeline. I would have preferred that they make it all one big storyline, especially since STO is so far in the future from where the books are now, but apparently that isn't the case.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Freman
I was just wondering what differences the game and the Star Trek novels have in their timeline. I would have preferred that they make it all one big storyline, especially since STO is so far in the future from where the books are now, but apparently that isn't the case.
Alternate timeline that breaks before the Destiny series and Before Dishonor. It was explained in the STO novel The Needs of the Many.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Ah I see. I just started reading that one.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Soft Canan
04-17-2011, 05:35 PM
There using Soft Canon AKA no Canon. Anything gos. Get your wish list ready people it will only be a matter of time befor it is in game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Here is the Memory Beta article on Path to 2409. Near the bottem is a run down of the discontinuities with the novels.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Path_to_2409
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
Here is the Memory Beta article on Path to 2409. Near the bottem is a run down of the discontinuities with the novels.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Path_to_2409
Yep that section at the bottom lays it out very well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Both are soft-canon, they dont have to interact with each other.

If they do that's nice, but i would not expect anybody on this Planet to read every single Star Trek Book to make a Videogame.

I think it's cool enough that they have Captain Calhoun in the game as a Quest Giver NPC...
and i only did read his books as long as they were translated to german, then suddenly they stopped translating them and i dropped reading Trek books for good (tried to get into Star Wars Books then... but Lasersword battles and X-Wing battles are just not the same in written form... so i stopped after 20 or so Star Wars books and now my afternoon entertainment slot got filled with watching good old Trek DVD's).
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Just because it is Soft Canon doesn't mean we must ignore it. Soft canon does have a narrative that the following novels tend to follow. Especially after teh shows ended. The main problem with Soft canon is that the specific details are often different since we are reading each individual authors vision of Star Trek and the characters in it.

I think it is important to know where the narrative significantly diverges. The elimination of the Borg is the main divergence here. Which means that the Borg Cube didn't eat Pluto. *burns more copies of before dishonor*
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
Just because it is Soft Canon doesn't mean we must ignore it. Soft canon does have a narrative that the following novels tend to follow. Especially after teh shows ended. The main problem with Soft canon is that the specific details are often different since we are reading each individual authors vision of Star Trek and the characters in it.

I think it is important to know where the narrative significantly diverges. The elimination of the Borg is the main divergence here. Which means that the Borg Cube didn't eat Pluto. *burns more copies of before dishonor*
I agree that some of the books have very good ideas that mesh very well with offical cannon. You are correct that some authors have a different take on some characters. Some I have read have had certain fan favorites act in ways that are some what inconsistent. I am of the opinon that events in stand alone adventures did happen in general ( the mission to visit planet X, Y, and Z, rescure the U.S.S. Snuffy, and the like), just not in exactly the way presented in the books. Only if the specific interactions are referenced on the screen does the events depicted exactly in the novels become part of offical cannon.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
Well, the whole point of "Soft Canon" is that if two soft canon sources disagree, you can pick and choose which one you like. If a later hard canon disagrees, then obviously the hard canon source wins. The advantage to soft canon is that you don't have to go with it at all if you don't want to.

For example, if I want to play Star Trek Armada, then the events which happened in that game would contradict what happens in the novels and STO. According to that game, Picard is still in command of the Enterprise. But if you play STO, Picard has retired from Starfleet, and Data is the Captain of the Enterprise (for now). Which one is "true"? Well...it depends on what game you're playing, or what novel you're reading.