Lt. Commander
# 32
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-NRG
Right and wrong.
Balanced on 1v1 basis? True.
They don't have different roles? Wrong.
Each class has three skill trees. What you get is a great potential for PvP/PvE, 1 vs 1 and team vs team. Not so useless. And not so wrong unlike STO's mentality of "Balancing Class based on team".

Tho for me, WoW lost charm when WOTLK hit. Vanilla and TBC were my favorite! Things changed since then.
I still don't see how they have different roles.

You can break things up a little, but for the most part any class that fills a certain role is interchangeable. It doesn't matter if you have a Warrior, Rogue, DK, Shaman, or Paladin as a melee DPSer, since they all basically do the same thing. One might be better or worse, but none are different aside form the visuals. Healing is worse -- there's almost no difference in the style of the different healers. Tanks are pretty homogenous too.

When one class in WoW does something really differently, either it gets nerfed or every similar class gets a similar ability.

Now that every class has the same health and mitigation (whether through armor, buffs, or avoidance) the homogenization has gotten a lot worse. In PvP there is never a time that you need one particular class for something. Every DPSer is interchangeable and every healer is interchangeable. The only difference is in which class is riding at the top of the buff/nerf cycle at the moment.

Honestly I think the game would be better if it was okay for a plate class to to take less damage than leather and cloth, or for a caster to do more damage than a tank. Now whichever class you role you can expect the same performance in any role. Most classes even have self-heals now.

WoW is kind of turning into Syndrome's plan in the Incredibles: to make everyone special so that no one is special.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
I cut my teeth on Shadowbane, I like Eve although it lost charm with it's new super ungodly ships you get from pve in high sec. space. I loved warhammer I played it in beta & had a blast. WoW I would say has completely crap pvp anymore because you don't have to choose a single tree anymore all builds are pretty vanilla. Also the stats on gear have risen to such ridiculous levels that 50% of your health comes from bloody armor, enchants, and jewels.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Quote:
I still don't see how they have different roles.

You can break things up a little, but for the most part any class that fills a certain role is interchangeable. It doesn't matter if you have a Warrior, Rogue, DK, Shaman, or Paladin as a melee DPSer, since they all basically do the same thing. One might be better or worse, but none are different aside form the visuals. Healing is worse -- there's almost no difference in the style of the different healers. Tanks are pretty homogenous too.

When one class in WoW does something really differently, either it gets nerfed or every similar class gets a similar ability.

Now that every class has the same health and mitigation (whether through armor, buffs, or avoidance) the homogenization has gotten a lot worse. In PvP there is never a time that you need one particular class for something. Every DPSer is interchangeable and every healer is interchangeable. The only difference is in which class is riding at the top of the buff/nerf cycle at the moment.

Honestly I think the game would be better if it was okay for a plate class to to take less damage than leather and cloth, or for a caster to do more damage than a tank. Now whichever class you role you can expect the same performance in any role. Most classes even have self-heals now.

WoW is kind of turning into Syndrome's plan in the Incredibles: to make everyone special so that no one is special.
Well, you could your 3 roles right there - healer, tank and dps. As usual, kinda.
It seems to be missing crowd control?

What you might be really wanting is that there are different ways to build a healer, tank or dps. But in the end, everyone has pretty much the same abilities?
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-19-2011, 01:32 AM
From all the MMO's i have played i felt that **** had the best PvP of them all.
You really had the feeling of being at war with the other factions.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-19-2011, 04:17 AM
If you are really into PvP the following MMOs are excellent:

1. World War Two Online

A niche MMO. Combined arms conflict simulation (Ground, Air, Sea) with WW2 backround. Pure PvP, no PvE, no grinding, no Endgame, but by a large margin the best PvP Sandbox ever created. One persistent world in 1:2 scale of western europe (east france, netherlands, belgium, west germany), allowing terrain captures and campaigns. Two sides (Allies & Germans). In standard campaigns the side which conquers the entire map wins.
Sadly the game was and is plagued by its hardware requirements. They are extremely high and so the biggest issue are not the monthly costs, but the need to have a top notch PC every 2-3 years.

2. Aces High II

Excellent flight sim with a ground war part. As an online flight sim, this is also a niche game. Really great community with an excellent PvP and sportsmanns attitude. If the usuall MMO PvP community would have only half the mutual respect Aces High players show, even the worst PvP enviroments would be a fun place to play in.

3. EVE Online

Although a level/skill based game it has excellent PvP. Even a newbie can fill an important role. Overall i think EVE is more of a society / world simulation than any other game out there, especially if you reach the zones where only players are active. Politics, wars, trade etc. everything ist there.

Space PvP in STO is also a good, especially because Crytic keep the item requirements pretty low. I worry this will change in the future with more endgame content, rewards and duty officer system.

From my view any PvP system in which the success of the individual player depends heavily on his "grinding skill" and not on his personal players skill is flawed. WoW was and is one of the worst games in this regards and i would not even go so far as to call anything in WoW PvP.