Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
After the initial push to make cool stories, I've been seeing different versions of a type of Ship grinding mission pop up and I"m a bit curious about Cryptic's stance on the issue.

The map type in particular is mass fighter farming using the warp core breach of your exploding ship (Cruiser seems to be recommended.) You die, blow up...a ripple effect causes a massive amount of fighters clumped up nearby to die....and you then get really good amounts of loot if you're doing this on elite.

Before, the first map I saw was for VA only. Now I'm seeing it extend down to Lieutenant level and I know it can be used for quick leveling by someone that just runs through it over and over.

Sadly, after power leveling an alt of my own, I can't see how this can be anything but an exploit of the Foundry and I'm curious about if Cryptic will address it officially and how they might go about reversing the super quick exp / credits / loot that is generated by farming it over and over. :|
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Has been discussed extensively here already: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=209530
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-19-2011, 05:53 AM
Creative use of game mechanics, You play the game how you want to play it, ill play it how i want to play it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0thicplur
Creative use of game mechanics, You play the game how you want to play it, ill play it how i want to play it.
Exactly what is "creative" about this? These missions are about the least "creative" on the Foundry. Anybody can make missions like that, so thats not "creative" at all. If you want to see "creative", see some of the missions where people have built entire cities by hand.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Well, they did advertise Foundry as a way to "create your own stories" not to create your own missions. They could be using the "doesn't tell a story" standard when determining what to take down. WAG.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Well, they did advertise Foundry as a way to "create your own stories" not to create your own missions. They could be using the "doesn't tell a story" standard when determining what to take down. WAG.
I am working on a kind of "combat tutorial" mission with the goal of teaching more about ingame abilities and PvP. It doesn't have a story, because I cannot believably create a story where names like "Beam Fire At Will" and terms like "Cooldowns" are used in a storytelling sense.

Is this mission illegal? Should my publishing rights be revoked? Is this something Cryptic absolutely does not want to see in the game? it is definitely not a grind mission. The enemies most likely won't die in their warp core explosions, and they are spread around, and there is lots of text.

But it's definitely not a story mission either.

What about someone that creates a large cityscape in the Foundry, just to prove it's possible, and to show off? Is that illegal? Should his publishing rights be revoked?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am working on a kind of "combat tutorial" mission with the goal of teaching more about ingame abilities and PvP. It doesn't have a story, because I cannot believably create a story where names like "Beam Fire At Will" and terms like "Cooldowns" are used in a storytelling sense.

Is this mission illegal? Should my publishing rights be revoked? Is this something Cryptic absolutely does not want to see in the game? it is definitely not a grind mission. The enemies most likely won't die in their warp core explosions, and they are spread around, and there is lots of text.

But it's definitely not a story mission either.
My advice: file a ticket and ask.

Your mission sounds fine because it is a teaching tool and not just a no-plot mobfest. Your teaching is the plot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
My advice: file a ticket and ask.

Your mission sounds fine because it is a teaching tool and not just a no-plot mobfest. Your teaching is the plot.
I would rather see some official clarification and guidelines. But it might be a good idea anyway, as an alternative route to get attention on the topic.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.