Lt. Commander
# 11
04-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasran
This is the only way I can see anomaly rewards being added to foundry missions. If they are randomly placed on the map, then there is a chance that they can spawn in an unreachable area. If they can be specifically placed by a mission author, then they can be easily farmed and throw the current crafting system out of balance.

As a side note, I would love to see them added as dummy objects in the foundry just to use the mini-game. Compensating a for phase variance is hard to explain through a popup dialog
Not if the author only has a limited amount he can use per mission(or map)
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-19-2011, 05:49 PM
How about this, allow the author to specify up to three spots per map where anomalies could be. Then when the mission is opened by the player, the system decides which points will have anomalies and which ones won't. That way the farming is not not an issue yet the player can designation "safe" locations.

The system could be set up to give a certain number of anomalies based on the map size. So a one map mission gets two; and two map mission gets four; a three map mission gets six; etc. But the computer will detmine where those anomalies show up. So if you have a two map mission you could have one on the first map and three on the second, vice versa, or two on each. It'll be random yet controlled at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I really don't think farming is a problem if the amount per map is limited. You're looking at a minimum of 30 seconds to load the map, and closer to a minute might be more realistic. Then you have to scan the anomalies. If you only have three anomalies per map, I'd say right now you can get them faster flying around in the exploration zones. But, to be on the safe side the amount of anomalies could be limited to two per map.

If there's still concern about abuse then a check could simply be made to ensure the anomalies are a certain distance away from one another (or from the spawn point). I'm not sure if that check can be built into the Foundry editor, but if not, when the game compiles the mission, it could simply throw out any anomalies that are not a certain distance apart.

That said, I actually do like the random anomaly locations system that the Commadore proposed. Having anomaly locations be random would actually fit more with their unusual nature, rather than always having them in the same place.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
The farming danger even at 3 is no greater then the danger of farming in B'tran or any other zone that can spawn gather missions. The danger as i see it would be a means to insure it didn't end up spawning in some place it couldn't be reached. Which isn't a huge issue really. "oh noes i can't get that one Anomaly! /rage Quite!! "

The real question is how hard is it to add that functionality to the foundry?
I don't intend that an objection to the idea, just interested in how the leprechauns Heathen mentioned earlier have to work.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin View Post
The farming danger even at 3 is no greater then the danger of farming in B'tran or any other zone that can spawn gather missions. The danger as i see it would be a means to insure it didn't end up spawning in some place it couldn't be reached. Which isn't a huge issue really. "oh noes i can't get that one Anomaly! /rage Quite!! "

The real question is how hard is it to add that functionality to the foundry?
I don't intend that an objection to the idea, just interested in how the leprechauns Heathen mentioned earlier have to work.
Should be too hard. Just add it as an effect and put a counter up to five. You place the effect in any five places you want. Then when you load the level, the server decides which if any of those five will have anomalies in them.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-20-2011, 02:45 AM
It's just easier to offer some as a reward for the "complete-three" wrapper mission...
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-20-2011, 03:34 AM
I would go for 2 anomalies per map at max, no more than 6 per mission. The author should be able to choose the location of an anomaly and also have the right to determine how many anomalies per map (2 max). So, you could say on map one, there is 1 anomaly, on map two you have no anomalies, on map three you have 2 anomalies, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasran
This is the only way I can see anomaly rewards being added to foundry missions. If they are randomly placed on the map, then there is a chance that they can spawn in an unreachable area. If they can be specifically placed by a mission author, then they can be easily farmed and throw the current crafting system out of balance.
Theoretically they could try to base it on existing reach markers and mission objectives... If they can force authors to place anomalies only in reachable positions, the check should also work for automated placement.

Quote:
As a side note, I would love to see them added as dummy objects in the foundry just to use the mini-game. Compensating a for phase variance is hard to explain through a popup dialog
Excellent idea.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-20-2011, 06:08 AM
I'd prefer a large chunk of anomalies from the wrapper reward, because given human nature some twit will ruin it for the rest of us.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
It's just easier to offer some as a reward for the "complete-three" wrapper mission...
It also takes away the feeling of collecting the anomalies. Doing scans and such are a very Trek thing, and something I actually enjoy doing as a side bar to the actual mission I'm playing.