Lt. Commander
# 11
04-20-2011, 04:58 AM
That's a good point about the injuries. Although anyone who has played on Elite for any length of time has pretty much come to accept them, and enter a mission well prepared with repair components/regenerators.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-20-2011, 05:37 AM
My point is, they will see your mission as broken, drop it, and give you one star. It will happen eventually. And then you will have people who know what the intended effect is and won't like it.

I think the animation is an especially clever option.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-20-2011, 05:56 AM
For what it's worth, if I found myself boxed in via invisible walls and surrounded by a map full of enemies I would consider it a "broken" mission. It just wouldn't feel right to be sitting there hitting invisible walls if I didn't know what was going on.

However, I can see the potential for where you would want to go with having a character "die", but it definitely would be hard to pull off in a way that doesn't make your mission seem broken.

Good luck with your mission, drop a line once it's published. I'm curious if you'll be able to make this idea work
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Here's something to consider as well, how will this work if a Fleet decides to play it? I don't think you can be 100% sure you will trap all of them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Here's something to consider as well, how will this work if a Fleet decides to play it? I don't think you can be 100% sure you will trap all of them.
I can point out one way but it's dirty.

You START with everyone boxed in.

You drop an ambush on them with a parallel objective for hitting the respawn point as a very small waypoint. That may work.

Still buggy.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I think that if you use a mixture of Breen and Borg ships, because they use Tractor Beams a lot among other debuffs, and support that with that Nebula effect that slows the ship down and prevents Full Impulse, you'll have an effective trap that will not be easy to evade.

Once the player's ship blows up, you could remove the Nebula effect and the battle could either continue or be abandoned altogether if the re-spawn point is far away from the enemies.

When I tried using invisible walls in space, for some reason the player ship was still able to go right through the invisible wall, so I'm not sure they work properly in space.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Something discovered with my mission:

The nebula debuff makes the fight easier against enemies who would remove your shields anyway since it removes enemy shields as well. You will take more damage in most fights but also deal more damage.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Also, if you mix Borg and Breen ships, they will fight eachother.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Something discovered with my mission:

The nebula debuff makes the fight easier against enemies who would remove your shields anyway since it removes enemy shields as well. You will take more damage in most fights but also deal more damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Also, if you mix Borg and Breen ships, they will fight eachother.
I wasn't aware of either point... thanks for the feedback!

Any idea whether invisible walls should actually HOLD a ship in place? Because if they should, they weren't working for me.

Lt. Commander
# 20
04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Yeah, it's pretty much a super experimental idea I've been playing with. I'm mostly just curious to see if I can pull it off. =)

Thanks to all for your feedback. Basically it looks like the best idea would be to drop the player into a large invisible box with a bunch of enemies, and give a strong hint that they are supposed to bite it during the battle.

And of course, in the mission description, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLAY THIS MISSION ON NORMAL!"