Lt. Commander
Link to the test "SotW" mission thread on the STO forum.

Link to the "SotW" mission post on the Starbase UGC website.

Link (1) / link (2) to the recommended music.

• Project Name:

Shadow of the Warrior

• Project ID:

ST-HKG8ZTFE7

• Author:

Alecto

• Language:

English

• Allegiance:

Klingon

• Level:

16+

• Description:

Bugs: BOffs not changing in dialog pop ups.
    Content: Story based (UK text) with moderate ground/space combat.
    Duration: 20-40 mins.
    Published: Apr 21st 2011.
    Updated: Sep 23rd 2011.

Protests by labourers were ignored, now a revolt at the deuterium mining colony on H'atoria has occurred and the High Command wants the situation resolved immediately.

This is a Klingon Intelligence operation, communications will be encrypted and information is not to be disclosed.

• Community Rating: 3.82 / 5

***** (31 / 105)
    **** (37 / 105)
    *** (28 / 105)
    ** (5 / 105)
    * (4 / 105)

• Review Chart:

IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII I
    IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII II
    IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII III
    IIIII
    IIII

• Additional Info:

This mission is recommended for players who enjoy a story driven mission, there's a lot to read with dialog branching so you may not read the same dialog if you play a second or third time depending on your choices and the mission can be completed with or without a team with an estimated completion time of between 20-40 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Great mission.
I like what you've added to it.
Still a good mix of all the different types of gameplay.

If you get a chance, you can play 'The Forever of Madness' or the second episode 'The Forever of Life'.

These are Fed missions though. Still haven't done a Klingon mission yet in Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Not sure whether to call this a bug or not, but the very first step to find the hidden console, hitting V only ever points down. For me this was an exercise in running mindlessly running around... ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCouto View Post
If you get a chance, you can play 'The Forever of Madness' or the second episode 'The Forever of Life'.

These are Fed missions though.
Thanks again for your review, I will get around to reviewing your missions sometime this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pococurante
Not sure whether to call this a bug or not, but the very first step to find the hidden console, hitting V only ever points down. For me this was an exercise in running mindlessly running around...
Hi, here's a quote from the first dialog pop up from the mission, your science officer aboard your ship states tha following...

"The message also contains co-ordinates for the hidden console which I have downloaded into your personal tricorder, allowing you to view your map to locate the area in which you need to be in order to scan for the console, but you'll need to be within range for that to work correctly.

To view your map, press M.

To perform a scan press V
."

I added this dialog to assist the player, when attempting to locate the hidden console but it is intended for the player to locate the console without any further assistance.

Also, due to in game mechanics, pressing V to scan will direct you to the closest intractable object.

Should you try again, I hope you enjoy the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks. But that is what I am doing. I'm in the Great Hall, I hit 'M' and see the big orange circle. I then run around hitting 'V' and the blue beam always points straight down. I even tried doing a grid pattern. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I'm probably just not the right kind of player for this sort of thing. The mission sounds great and I definitely see from the reviews other players enjoy that sort of thing. Best wishes!
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
All I can say without taking away the challenge to find the "hidden console", is to follow your tricorder's directions, if you are within the circle on the map and the scanner points in a certain direction, then that is the direction in which you must go.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Great Mission
04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
After throwing a mission together and getting a bit peeved that a lot of what I wanted to do with it, I couldn't, or so I thought, I played Shadow of The Warrior. I have to say, I was impressed! A lot of the things I thought I couldn't do, I was seeing with my very own eyes in this mission.. Alecto, I commend you on a job well done! The storyline, depth and variety of the mission was a blast!!! I wanted to state "publicly" that this is a great mission to play! For me...back to the drawing board. But with renewed vigor!

Thanks!!!

P.S Not trying to sound "cocky" but I found the hidden console without any probs...Seek and ye shall find....
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2011, 09:06 PM
mx1004 if at any point you want any advise to help you with your mission, please feel free to PM me and as for research, the following websites are a great resource.

Search specifically for "Foundry Tutorial" on YouTube for some great advice on how to use the tools and thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Not a bad mission at all. One of the things I did appreciate about the map was the attention to atmosphere.

However, I feel torn about some aspects of it. Namely, scanning the 5 crates for your cargo manifest check. I didn't think it was necessary, particularly for your ship captain. It also didn't particularly add anything to the story or the characters.

So if there was a need for it, it wasn't entirely clear. If you wanted to get across thoroughness I think it could be done in a more interesting way.

My greatest qualm is the reference to you shooting one of your shuttles. Your science officer tells you that your shuttle pilot got smart with you and you forced him out in a shuttle and shot him down.

This was funny, however, you might want to alter that somehow through dialogue. I generally try to keep my dialogue between 'renegade' and 'paragon' ala Mass Effect. Essentially, one branch gives off smart-ass or violent statements, the other is cool and nonabrasive.

Personally, I don't feel a Klingon would destroy a shuttle to punish an officer. That leaves them without a shuttle, frankly. Some violent captains would, but I wouldn't.

I'm just saying, in that moment, you spoke actions FOR the player. As a table-top RPG gamer, it's a big violation.

Otherwise, good intro into an arc I liked it a lot, looking forward to seeing the next part.

If it would be fair to you, would you mind scoping out 'The Hunt'? You have a good eye for establishing atmosphere, so I think our projects are very like-minded.

If not, I enjoyed your tale!
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I think I know what you mean here and what you mention has crossed my mind a number of times, but I haven't had any player feedback on this until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnagefiend View Post
I feel torn about some aspects of it. Namely, scanning the 5 crates for your cargo manifest check. I didn't think it was necessary, particularly for your ship captain. It also didn't particularly add anything to the story or the characters.

So if there was a need for it, it wasn't entirely clear. If you wanted to get across thoroughness I think it could be done in a more interesting way.
Originally, I wanted the player take part in a non-combat activity, which gave more character to the intelligence agent. I decided I wanted the player to tag the cargo supplies for transport, to trigger a transport animation, but it's not possible, even with v 0.5, so back on Tribble the work around I came up with was to scan the cargo to cross check the cargo manifest log.

The "Shadow of the Warrior" is the intelligence agent and to add to his character, I wanted his dialog to come across as though he was arrogant, thought he knew it all, seen it all, battled it all and he wants to teach you some lessons. One being that even the a task not suited to a Captain or higher ranked player would do you good, remind you that you even a minor task such as this is not beneath you.

The intelligence agent states "A warrior who neglects minor details will only exacerbate the battle ahead." but perhaps I could adjust the dialog to make his intentions clearer.

Quote:
My greatest qualm is the reference to you shooting one of your shuttles. Your science officer tells you that your shuttle pilot got smart with you and you forced him out in a shuttle and shot him down.

This was funny, however, you might want to alter that somehow through dialogue. I generally try to keep my dialogue between 'renegade' and 'paragon' ala Mass Effect. Essentially, one branch gives off smart-ass or violent statements, the other is cool and nonabrasive.

Personally, I don't feel a Klingon would destroy a shuttle to punish an officer. That leaves them without a shuttle, frankly. Some violent captains would, but I wouldn't.

I'm just saying, in that moment, you spoke actions FOR the player. As a table-top RPG gamer, it's a big violation.
I also thought it was funny, but do agree with you, and that dialog is in there because I wanted the player to go down to the planet in a shuttlecraft due to the high risk of transport failing, but because I couldn't do that I came up with a reason why you couldn't.

If I can ever change this so that the player can go down in a shuttle I will and I'll also still allow the option to beam down if possible, then later have the players ship unable to beam you up, so they send a shuttle for you instead.

The dialog however that you are talking about now, I think I may remove or alter, thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
If it would be fair to you, would you mind scoping out 'The Hunt'? You have a good eye for establishing atmosphere, so I think our projects are very like-minded.

If not, I enjoyed your tale!
I'll review it as soon as I find the time to, if you have a thread for it, link it.