Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
... Please, must I beg.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Read the latest Engineering Report, they are looking into it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Cryptic sure does not seem in a hurry to get to this one... have they ever acknowledged that it is broke? Half the community seems to agree with it (PVE) and the other half seem to use it anyway (PVP).. if it wasn't for the medical hemp I have to take my nerd rage would be out of control.

So they have acknowledged it needs looking into. Ninja posted on me there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-22-2011, 08:34 PM
From a chat I've had with a Jessie it sounds like they are taking their time because they are afraid of putting up another solution that ends up creating other unintended problems. Taking time to think of implications is a good thing, although on the other hand it has been a long time since FAW came out. Rest assured they are working on something though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
From a chat I've had with a Jessie it sounds like they are taking their time because they are afraid of putting up another solution that ends up creating other unintended problems. Taking time to think of implications is a good thing, although on the other hand it has been a long time since FAW came out. Rest assured they are working on something though.
I fear it may not matter much. I notice bye way of the nice friends online widget on the homepage that most folk are not around much anymore. I would think Cryptic is running out of time as far as a good number of players are concerned.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6 Once bitten, twice shy
04-22-2011, 09:10 PM
I like the idea of taking their time to get it right. That's a huge step in the right direction but I'm concerned too that it's too little, too late. We knew, and we made it clear, that it was wrong from the start but it was pushed through anyway.

I'm glad they are looking at it, and I'm glad they actually want to get it right, I just hope this is a lesson learned beyond FAW. That's not the only thing that needs some tender love and care.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozoha View Post
Cryptic sure does not seem in a hurry to get to this one...
The Dual Bolt Spray attack that kills the entire away team on Advanced and Elite settings has been broke since it went live on April 30th, 2010. Yep. That'll be a year next week. So it's not just PvP.


Ok, I do want to ask people a question though. I have limited PvP experience in STO, so if I sound like a n00b asking stupid questions, it's because I am. Is BFAW really all that over powered? Aren't there ways in game right now to counter it? Like:

Aceton Field - I would think that a 50% decrease in damage would be pretty good mitigation. In fact, don't these stack?
Feedback Pulse - if he's hitting a bunch of people wouldn't getting hit by this from multiple targets be a real problem?
Mask Energy Signature - or would a BFAW boat still be able to hit you as long as he aims at someone else?
Reverse Shield Polarity - survive the attack long enough to counter strike.
Scramble Sensors - and then watch him shoot his teammates!
Target Weapon Subsystems - wouldn't shutting his weapons off stop BFAW?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

Aceton Field - I would think that a 50% decrease in damage would be pretty good mitigation. In fact, don't these stack?
Maybe a little, but the effect isn't good enough for most pvpers to give up something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Feedback Pulse - if he's hitting a bunch of people wouldn't getting hit by this from multiple targets be a real problem?
Theoretically, but that assumes that 1) FBP isn't on cooldown, and 2) everyone triggers it at the same time he does FAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Mask Energy Signature - or would a BFAW boat still be able to hit you as long as he aims at someone else?
If you're mid-combat, it's a moot point, since MES is like a poor-man's cloak and only works outside combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Reverse Shield Polarity - survive the attack long enough to counter strike.
Yes, but RSP is on a much longer cooldown (5-10 second duration, 90 second cooldown) than FAW (10-15 second duration, 15 second cooldown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Scramble Sensors - and then watch him shoot his teammates!
This is probably the best counter to FAW, and I would assume most people use it already. However, he can still hit enemies as well as teammates, so he would still be hurting you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Target Weapon Subsystems - wouldn't shutting his weapons off stop BFAW?
Possibly. TWS lowers weapon power, with a chance to disable completely. But, that's also usually a science ability. Most tactical ships have better abilities than "Target:"



Even so, the fact that a ship with beams can AOE in all directions causing more damage than an escort does in an alpha strike...is somewhat overpowered.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
... Please, must I beg.
Wouldn't you much rather have them take their time and properly balance it, than 'fast nerf it' and have you complain in a weeks time that its now too weak?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
The Dual Bolt Spray attack that kills the entire away team on Advanced and Elite settings has been broke since it went live on April 30th, 2010. Yep. That'll be a year next week. So it's not just PvP.


Ok, I do want to ask people a question though. I have limited PvP experience in STO, so if I sound like a n00b asking stupid questions, it's because I am. Is BFAW really all that over powered? Aren't there ways in game right now to counter it? Like:

Aceton Field - I would think that a 50% decrease in damage would be pretty good mitigation. In fact, don't these stack?
Feedback Pulse - if he's hitting a bunch of people wouldn't getting hit by this from multiple targets be a real problem?
Mask Energy Signature - or would a BFAW boat still be able to hit you as long as he aims at someone else?
Reverse Shield Polarity - survive the attack long enough to counter strike.
Scramble Sensors - and then watch him shoot his teammates!
Target Weapon Subsystems - wouldn't shutting his weapons off stop BFAW?
It may be a tad OP'd when used by a single ship but massively OP'd when used by a group. Consider that in its current state you can put out 200 percent DPS. When you times this by more ships, your looking at an unfair tactic. 5 ships putting out the dps of 10 ships.

I have 1 ship on both fed and kdf side setup to be a healer worthy of 1.5 mil in healing in an arena match. When I come upon a 5 man team of FAW users who spam it with no down time, I have hard enough time healing myself rather than my team. An example I see during PvE, I come upon a group of 3 ships and can hit FAW 1 and pop all of those ships inside the 15 seconds FAW is up for. It may be a 1 or 2 second difference but they will all be gone in one pass. By the time you move to the second encounter, the ability is ready again.

When you start 5v5 considering you have 8 beams, each ships with faw puts out 16 times 5 ships thats 80 beams total. Each ship will be hit then by 16 beams. Each time a ship dies, the number of beams increases. So, split the extra 16 over 4 ships and now each ships has 20 beams on it and then again as your down to 3. It will wipe a team fairly quickly the lower their numbers get. Now, 1v1 it has no effect. Even 5 FAW ships vs 1 ship it has no effect but you have 5 ships focus firing and thats worthy in its own to finish the 1 off. It all becomes a matter of who takes the lead first with the first kill and then downward from there.

Suggestions have been to lower the 2nd beam attack so its not 100 percent. Lower the 2nd attack worthy of taking out mines and small pets only. Increasing the CD on both a single copy of FAW and the global CD of 2 copies FAW. Who knows which way cryptic will go with this.

You mentioned counters and yes there are some. However, the duration ability of this skill if chained non stop has no counter that can match it verbatim. It simply can be used much more then any single counter chained can. Multiple counters together may work but still timers could effect this at some point.

Edit : cause it crossed my mind. The AI targeting is faster then a human player. So, decloaking ships can be hit either while cloaked or hit during their decloak before shields come up fully. Pain in the ass to be a defiant ship or any kdf ship that decloaks and enters battle.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.