Lt. Commander
# 1 Opening doors
04-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but as a newcomer to the foundry I am having a small problem with doors.

Using a ship interior i can place a door and I saw I can use it as an objective which 'removes' it after clicking, but how do I get the door to open by clicking on it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Do the following:

1) Place a Wall - Door 01 which is a wall with a non-opening door.

2) Place a Wall - Door 07 in the same location.

3) Set both doors to have exact same X and Z values.

4) Set Door 01 Y value to -0.08 lower than then Door 07* (it's stupid, but the opening doors and non-opening doors aren't completely lined up with each other vertically). So if your door 07 has a Y value of 0 then set the 01 to -0.08 (don't miss the zero after the decimal point). Or you can look at it the opposite way, with Door 08 being 0.08 higher than 01.

4a) You probably won't be able to simply have either door type set to a Y of 0 because they won't line up exactly with the interior ship walls. On Rapier Interior, for example, the closed door needs to be placed at -0.135 and the open doors need to be placed at -.055 for them to match up with the existing walls. So adjust the Y value to get them lined up properly.

5) Place an interact object (console, etc), or an invisible box to use as an interact. Use that interact as the trigger for Door 01 to be hidden, and for Door 07 to become visible. You can use the door itself as the interact, but then the entire wall will flash as an interact object, which I think is kind of excessive.

What will happen is when the interact is triggered the sealed door will disappear and the opening door will appear. The sealed door is gray and the opening door is beige, so there is a slight visible change, but it's not that noticeable. Personally I just consider it a gaming convention, because it's standard that non-opening doors are a different color so people don't try to go through them futilely.

If the interact was close to the door, then the door will open immediately upon the switch taking place, since the player will already be within the door's activation range. If you wanted, I suppose you could use this as a nice surprise where the door abruptly opens and a Borg Drone or Klingon Swordmaster is standing right there.

*Door 07 is a generic Door that has STF 8093 written on it. The other doors may be appropriate depending on the deck/section you are accessing. The opening doors have the following writing on them (all are beige unless otherwise noted): 02- Transporter Room, 03- Sickbay (blue door), 04- Mess Hall, 05- Science Lab, 06- Main Engineering (yellow door), 07- STF 8093, 08- STF 8093 (turned 90 degrees which is kind of redundant since we can already just rotate Door 07).
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I've been tinkering with my own animated doors by placing a bunch of non-moving doors 0.1 spatial units apart and having a waypoint for each one that removes one and adds the next.

It's labor intensive and I'm finding that waypoints can sometimes fail to trigger if a player hits too many too close together.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Just an update to the reply I made above. I've fine-tuned the alignment of the doors a bit better. The closed door needs to be 0.08 lower than the open ones, not 0.07 as I originally posted. Also the Rapier interior numbers for lining up the doors are -0.135 for closed doors, and -0.055 for open ones. I already edited the original reply with the proper info, but just wanted to make a note of it in case anyone was using what I posted above.