Lt. Commander
# 1 Concerned about policy
04-24-2011, 08:00 PM
In the past, I came up with a short little mission for the foundry and then it got me thinking of making a series. Unfortunate that series hinged on Canon characters and was scrubbed due to EULA.

I was just starting to think about the Foundry and possibly make some war stories (Dominion war, current war, etc) from the perspective of a MACO in a holodeck or a flashback.

My problem is that it would require a lot of ground battles (large ones too) and could me misconstrued as grinding missions. I'd really rather not risk losing my privileges and another policy killing the foundry for me.

Am I at risk?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Here are my thoughts on this subject:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...85#post3507585
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
If you're going to have large battles which means friendly NPCs fighting with you, then I think it's unlikely to be considered a grind in any way. You don't get credit for kills by friendly NPCs.

In my opinion, you need to do something more with the mission than fight through waves of enemies, in any case. Fight through enemies, then plant a bomb, or have to complete some other objective. Maybe make it so that you can try to sneak through a back route rather than go in the front, but maybe that entails shutting down a force field generator at a slightly out of the way tower.

Basically if you put in the effort to make an engaging story, or at least some engaging actions you need to take, then it won't be considered a grind. Remember that many (almost all?) Cryptic missions are pretty combat heavy too, so you have to really push the limits to create a true grind.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-25-2011, 04:46 AM
So as long as I have a solid story and some other objectives, I should be fine?

I'm just really concerned I't'll get misconstrued and I'll get banned
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
If you worry your mission will violate policy, just don't make it. Move on from that idea come up with another one. It is better to err on the side of caution than to risk your account and characters. Let this be your watchword in any foundry mission you create.

Remember:
Wishstone-
Quote:
Making these missions is abuse of the system and we will remove such missions and revoke publishing rights to players who make them.
Lt. Commander
# 6 I'm confused
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
In the past, I came up with a short little mission for the foundry and then it got me thinking of making a series. Unfortunate that series hinged on Canon characters and was scrubbed due to EULA.

I was just starting to think about the Foundry and possibly make some war stories (Dominion war, current war, etc) from the perspective of a MACO in a holodeck or a flashback.

My problem is that it would require a lot of ground battles (large ones too) and could me misconstrued as grinding missions. I'd really rather not risk losing my privileges and another policy killing the foundry for me.

Am I at risk?
You mean we can't use Star Trek characters in the foundry in a Star Trek game? I'm greating a mission on DS9 and there is a cast for that series. I don't wanna just make up things as I go along!!!

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post

Am I at risk?
I think you are confusing "exploit mission" with "grind mission." As far as I know, grind missions are just fine. There are plenty of them listed that are highly rated and continue to get plays and ratings. What the devs don't like and will take action against are exploit missions. These are missions that clearly abuse game mechanics (to gain rapid xp, etc). I'm not going to list examples but trust me... they are obvious. As long as you have to spend the time to actually battle the mobs, whether there is a story or not, it isn't considered an exploit.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
I think you are confusing "exploit mission" with "grind mission." As far as I know, grind missions are just fine.
No they are not, Wishstone directly said today

Quote:
Making these missions is abuse of the system and we will remove such missions and revoke publishing rights to players who make them.
Mob heavy missions and click-and-wins are right out.

If you think a mission may violate those terms Don't Make It. Sure there's a 50% chance your mission might be flagged; but there is 100% chance it will not be flagged if you choose not to make it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM
The policy of "If your concerned it might violate the EULA, don't make it" will kill the Foundry.

Thats why the Dev's need to be clearer.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
People are free to make any mission they desire, however if they create something that crosses these lines they'll given us; they deserve whatever punishment it brings.