Lt. Commander
I am new to STO. But I already have a Tactical character up to Commander 1 and a Engineer to Lt. Commander 5. But what I have noticed is there is absolutely no reason why to buy the lower mk items for that tier. Other then the most expensive purple item I can afford to buy the highest tier items for that level range and with a few exceptions soon as I hit the next tier, I buy the best of the best and don't upgrade again until I hit the next tier/rank.

Personally I think this is a waste of resources developing those unused items and gives very little incentive to upgrade throughout your leveling. You only upgrade every 10 levels and that's it.

I think the lower mk items for that tier should be used up till you hit rank 5 in that tier and then the higher mk for the last part.

To me this would help with demand of more items, and make players spend their money more wisely having to upgrade every 5 levels rather than 10.

What do you think? Was it this way at one time and they changed it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2011, 04:56 PM
There's two reasons to use the odd-numbers.

1. You don't want to waste credits on purchasing the item (vendor or exchange), so you just wait for something to drop as loot. The item that drops happens to be an odd numbered item, so you use that.

2. The item type you use is not purchasable from the vendor (example: quantum torpedoes), so you use whatever you can get, which is typically odd-numbered.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
There's two reasons to use the odd-numbers.

1. You don't want to waste credits on purchasing the item (vendor or exchange), so you just wait for something to drop as loot. The item that drops happens to be an odd numbered item, so you use that.

2. The item type you use is not purchasable from the vendor (example: quantum torpedoes), so you use whatever you can get, which is typically odd-numbered.
Yep. It's a little odd that you can get even mark common weapons, but not even mark body armor or personal shields. I usually just slap on whatever the ESD vendor has as soon as I rank up, because it's always slightly better than green or white even mark stuff from the prior tier. I don't bother with any purple stuff until I hit the level cap, and I only craft green and blue stuff as needed to raise my crafting skill. If I get even mark drops as I do missions, then I'll take those to replace my odd mark stuff, but that's about it; I almost never bother buying stuff off the exchange while leveling, since you end up outgrowing it almost as soon as you get a full set.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneysilence777
I am new to STO. But I already have a Tactical character up to Commander 1 and a Engineer to Lt. Commander 5. But what I have noticed is there is absolutely no reason why to buy the lower mk items for that tier. Other then the most expensive purple item I can afford to buy the highest tier items for that level range and with a few exceptions soon as I hit the next tier, I buy the best of the best and don't upgrade again until I hit the next tier/rank.

Personally I think this is a waste of resources developing those unused items and gives very little incentive to upgrade throughout your leveling. You only upgrade every 10 levels and that's it.

I think the lower mk items for that tier should be used up till you hit rank 5 in that tier and then the higher mk for the last part.

To me this would help with demand of more items, and make players spend their money more wisely having to upgrade every 5 levels rather than 10.

This is very painful and I AGREE COMPLETELY with the author.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneysilence777

This is very painful and I AGREE COMPLETELY with the author. There was a time I looked forward to getting my hands on MK IV common Disruptors (Yipppeee!), now its Very Very Rare purple gear all round thats being flogged on the exchange. The exchange is such a mess that uncommon gear is being charged more for than some purple items? WTF?
Lt. Commander
# 6 Well.
04-25-2011, 05:21 AM
There is no real reason to buy them. What is funny is some the low Tier item go for more then some of the XI Very Rare. That speaks to fact how many VA are in the game. There is a also a small group that thinks low level is more fun. They will pimp out that tier. You see people asking for the ability to not be forced to level all the time. With the Foundry there is tons mission to do as well. I know more then one person how has not taken the promotion and stayed at T1 on one toon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2011, 05:32 AM
There isn't any reason to buy odd Mark items (aside from Mark XI gear, as nothing higher is regularly buyable). They could definitely be replaced from the vendors. They might still make sense as possible loot drops, but that's it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-25-2011, 05:39 AM
Originally there was only one Mark per tier. You can tell because some of the icons at launch still had I, II, III...V on them instead of 1 - 10. I'm sure the decision to split them was to add more perceived variety.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Originally there was only one Mark per tier. You can tell because some of the icons at launch still had I, II, III...V on them instead of 1 - 10. I'm sure the decision to split them was to add more perceived variety.
Actually a ton of stuff is still just randomly mismarked; may Mk X kits have "Mk V" in the icons, for instance.