Lt. Commander
# 1161
04-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Matt Ward's codecies are balanced against Matt Ward codecies, that is to say the codecies that are written in the new style, sure he can't write fluff that amazingly (it's still better than half the people there and has taken it in a more rogue trader direction which is always good) but he can do crunch. He is the best now that Andy Chambers has left. Robin can't write crunch, Gav can do fluff but can't do crunch. I can't remember the rest right now, but people blame ward despite everyone else writing gimped armies in the old minimalist style which needed to die because it was awful. By now everyone seems to be catching up with the style so hopefully when the new codexes get released they are more up to scratch with the new style.

Yes his rules aren't super tightly written and favour fun, flavour and options over tournament play, but that's usually how GW has been anyway. Notice how ward's demon army book isn't too bad until you get people taking demons from multiple gods and using them to cover each others weaknesses... like that would ever happen in fluff.

This can be summed up as "Don't be a munchkin and then complain that you're overpowered"
Lt. Commander
# 1162
04-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I heard he is aslo writting the necron codex.
Lt. Commander
# 1163
04-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevan
So you were still on the first mission? :p

Seems I have a choice to make. Pick up my second copy of GalCiv 2 or grab Retribution.
Galciv 2 is a fantastic buy, I got it and the expansions to it, unique tech trees and the editors are great. I've got the star trek vs star wars mod on there.
Lt. Commander
# 1164
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
space marines have the coolest titans
Space Marines don't have titans. That's a completely different branch of the Imperium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Don't get me started. Seriously. If Matt Ward frakked things up bad with Blood Angels, hoo boy... he really did a number on my Grey Knights.

Terminators for the same price as vanilla, but with PE vs Daemons, and force weapons? Tactical squads with storm bolters and NFWs for 10 points over vanilla cost? NEMESIS ******N DREADKNIGHTS?

Put it this way. For 155 points, I can have a monstrous creature with a 2+ armor save that rerolls all its misses, failed wounds, and armor penetration rolls (on 2d6, being a monstrous creature) at strength 10. Basically, a half-price adrenalized venomous Carnifex with a Hive Tyrant (with Old Adversary) sitting right behind him. And then some.

I hate Matt Ward so much.

It makes me rage.

RAGE.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. You can give the Dreadknight a Personal Teleporter which, because Matt Ward cannot write rules worth a damn, actually turns the Dreadknight into Jump Infantry. No, you didn't misread that. It doesn't make it move like Jump Infantry (like Tyranid monstrous creature wings, or Chaos Sorcerer wings), it actually changes its unit type to Jump Infantry. (see: Grey Knights codex, Personal Teleporters, Interceptor Squad entry, and Grey Knights codex, Army List section, Nemesis Dreadknight wargear)

Can anyone say "Apocalypse game with twelve Dreadknights embarked in a Storm Raven?" And because you disembark from the base on a Storm Raven, you could totally do it, too.
He didn't frak anything up with the BA's, and it makes me do nothing but laugh at the incredible amounts of nerdrage over a three-line entry in their battle history. Now, C:SM, yeah, he bungled the fluff on that. Honestly, I don't get why they have one guy do the whole thing these days, they used to have 2-3 guys working on a codex.

GK Terminators vs. regulars, yeah they hit harder, but they can never get better than a 5+ INV against shooting and still go down just as easily to small-arms fire. Strike Squads are only worthwhile if you upgrade their NFWs, which drives up the cost more, and they're going to struggle against high AV vehicles.

And you've got the Dreadknight rules wrong. If it takes a greatsword, it can only use that or the doomfist, not both. So it's either S6 (7 with Hammerhand) with full re-rolls or S10 without. With a greatsword and personal teleporter, it runs at 230 points, and is still very vulnerable to power fists and the like. As for the jump infantry bit, I have no doubt that oversight will get FAQed in no time. But your strawman Apocalypse idea is impossible anyway, as jump infantry take up two spots, and they can't be attached to each other, so only one could "ride" in the Stormraven anyway. But really, if anyone tried to pull that, I think most folks (myself included) would bid them good day.
Lt. Commander
# 1165
04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Quote:
He didn't frak anything up with the BA's, and it makes me do nothing but laugh at the incredible amounts of nerdrage over a three-line entry in their battle history. Now, C:SM, yeah, he bungled the fluff on that. Honestly, I don't get why they have one guy do the whole thing these days, they used to have 2-3 guys working on a codex.
What? ward didn't write anything for Chaos space marines, that was Gav and Alessio.
Lt. Commander
# 1166
04-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Ridden
What? ward didn't write anything for Chaos space marines, that was Gav and Alessio.
C:SM = Codex: Space Marines. C:CSM = Codex: Chaos Space Marines.
Lt. Commander
# 1167
04-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
C:SM = Codex: Space Marines. C:CSM = Codex: Chaos Space Marines.
Oh yeah. I read it as Chaos Space Marines because I was too busy herping and derping to notice.
Lt. Commander
# 1168
08-20-2011, 11:26 AM
anybody looking forward to space marine coming out? i am

i also found a warhammer group in my area n.n
so now i'm inspired to make my troops
which i has done, but i haven't painted them yet, still havent decided on a paint scheme yet D:
Lt. Commander
# 1169
08-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Tau Empire anyone? lol

Sometimes I played them were I had more fire warriors than an Imperial Guard opponant had Guard Troopers! lol... oh those pulse rifles ignoring his armor saves....
Lt. Commander
# 1170
08-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
anybody looking forward to space marine coming out? i am
Yes, I have preordered the collectors version and the Demo was released yesterday to all members of the Honor Guard (name of the forums on the SM website).

It is awesome, loads of gore and violence, hacking up orks with a chainsword or power axe is sweet, bolter sound effects could go with some more oomph though.

Game looks great and you get a good impression of walking around as a huge marine in power armour, jump pack is great.