Lt. Commander
# 1 The EULA and Mythology
04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Hey, I have a few questions regarding the EULA and ancient mythology.

1. According to the EULA we can not "use New Game Materials to depict a likeness of any real person (historical or present day)", but does the same rule apply to people from ancient mythology?
Let's say I made a character named Odin and gave it an epic, grey beard and a visor which covers one eye. Would this be breaking the EULA? I'm pretty sure Marvel don't have copyright on the name since they took him from Norse Mythology, but I'm also pretty sure that any content of this nature would be deleted by Cryptic just to be on the safe side..

2. Does the same rule apply to items, races and places from ancient mythology?
I do realize that making a planet named Midgard will probably result in a quick deletion, but let's say I wanted to name a system Niflheim or make a race called the Jotun, would this also be deleted?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Odin is not a historical or real person as far as we know, so the rule does not seem to apply to him.

And as for the planets as an example, most names of stellar bodies in our own solar system are mythological names. Mars, Venus, Mercury... all roman gods. Why shouldn´t some stellar cartographers name a newly discovered planet Midgard ?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
i dont think odin is going to drop a copyright lawsuit on you, so i think your ok.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Questioning whether or not science fiction writers are allowed to incorporate myth into their story?

Cryptic's language in the EULA is standard legalese. It is to protect them. The counter? Put this at the start of every episode you make:

"All characters and events in this show - even those based on real people - are entirely fictional. All celebrity voices are impersonated - poorly. The following show contains coarse language and due to its content it should not be viewed by anyone."

Lt. Commander
# 5
04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i dont think odin is going to drop a copyright lawsuit on you, so i think your ok.
I'm not too confortable to name a planet to Asgard, and call the supreme fleet commander Thor.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Any fictional material that is in the public domain should be fine to use in your missions. There may be some specific exceptions to this, but it should apply in general. So in regards to mythology, the basic "story" of any given ancient myth would be in the public domain. However, you would not be able to use specific elements tied to modern day works based on that material, such as the specific storyline of the Marvel Thor comics, which have deviated/elaborated on the basic story of norse mythology.

So yes, you can use the character Thor as described here. But you may not use the character Thor as described here.