Lt. Commander
# 21
04-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I have to ask a question:

What if somebody doesn't recognize it as an exploit mission and plays it a couple times?

Should he be banned from the Foundry since records say he did?
Hell, no. I was talking to some people shortly after the Foundry went live and they seriously thought grinding missions were okay because they were there. While not being informed is not an excuse, iīd say letīs trust that "evil" missions get reported and disappear.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I have to ask a question:

What if somebody doesn't recognize it as an exploit mission and plays it a couple times?

Should he be banned from the Foundry since records say he did?
What happens to people that use other exploits in the game? Like the ones that were using the put any ship component anywhere bug? I'm guessing it was handled in a way none of us know of, since dicipline is private. You know when something is too good, because it somehow rewards you better than average.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Well, the thing is what if to you it doesn't seem to be rewarding you any better than average or that isn't the point, its a side effect.

If I make a Borg invasion of ESD, it might be a good mission to grind, but at the same time that isn't the point and there is a story to it and everything.

There is not an intention of it being used improperly, but if I play it because I enjoy the story or its just plain old fun, why should I be punished because the Dev's think its wrong?

The exploit problem mentioned above is an interesting statement. Is it something that randomly happens and is easily noticeable? IE, you don't need to do something or research how to do it, it just happens?

Thats why, I really think people who play them should not be punished.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
So here is the flaw with this idea: the majority of the playerbase does not read the forum. Therefore, the majority of the playerbase wouldnt be aware of the recent threads and posting by Wishstone. If and when someone creates a grind/exploit mission, and that mission is reported, that author will get a communication from a GM telling them that their mission is against the rules. However, the majority of people who play that mission arent aware of that communication, nor the statements made by the Devs on the forums. So this idea would require the GMs to communicate with thousands of people rather than the 1 person who created the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennjahn View Post
Don't think of it as censorship. That is not what they are trying to do, they are trying to protect us. These rules are here b/c they protect us and the game.

Besides, consider this, the restrictions and rules and punishments are almost like the rules of stylized literature. Does an artist complain about the syllable restrictions of Haiku?
LOL - I like your Haiku comparison.

Anyway, the rules of a Haiku are pretty formalized. If you ignore them, it's just not a Haiku, even though it still might be pretty neat poetry. (Even the japanese now have several "standards").

The rules of Foundry are not formalized.

If I wanted to create a grind mission and I'd put a description like:
"The Emperor of the long lost planet Fnark has asked for your help. His planet is being under an embargo by the Romulans. Can you free the good emperor from his palace?"
And then I go ahead and put lots of Romulans to grind away and I put some one sentence dialogue in between waves. Is it a grind mission? Or is it just a bad story mission?

The same goes for a RP location. So far they didn't hurt anyone. Now people will complain that they are exploits, because you can just go in and out and have a mission completed. (And I think the people creating them were the last ones crying for a reward for playing Foundry missions anyway. I at least didn't. Playing other peoples and creating my own missions was enough reward.)

So: In the end: Yes, this is a kind of uncontrolled (should I say "trolled? ) censorship. We do not truly often need the devs or the masses or a few who consider themselves "Foundry police" or complicated algorithms to decide what is good and bad for us. If I don't like a mission, I quit it or never play it again and leave a review and a one-star rating.