Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Some people want to create maps and locations that are just for roleplay, rather than being an actual mission. The problem is, these maps can be used by others who do not want to RP as an exploit by simply jumping in, doing the 1 objective, and then repeating to get their Foundry daily. Even if that is not the author's intent, they risk having their mission removed because of other people abusing it.

Simple solution: make the objective an interactable object, and put it high above the map. That way there is no way to actually complete the "mission", and if all you want to do is RP then you have no need to complete the mission anyway. You can load in, do your roleplay, then beam out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Some people want to create maps and locations that are just for roleplay, rather than being an actual mission. The problem is, these maps can be used by others who do not want to RP as an exploit by simply jumping in, doing the 1 objective, and then repeating to get their Foundry daily. Even if that is not the author's intent, they risk having their mission removed because of other people abusing it.

Simple solution: make the objective an interactable object, and put it high above the map. That way there is no way to actually complete the "mission", and if all you want to do is RP then you have no need to complete the mission anyway. You can load in, do your roleplay, then beam out.
Very good idea, that solves the exploit problem.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-29-2011, 03:34 PM
You might get some negative reviews for that. BUt I guess you can live with that, if people don't get what a "roleplay" map is...

A compromise could be to put the location at a position that is just very difficult to reach. (If you got two interacts at opposing ends of the map, possibly requiring some jumps or other tricks. Not many would bother with that for grinding.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Simple solution: make the objective an interactable object, and put it high above the map. That way there is no way to actually complete the "mission", and if all you want to do is RP then you have no need to complete the mission anyway. You can load in, do your roleplay, then beam out.
Perfect! I had far more complicated solutions for this, but this puts us back where we were: A mission without any reward for RP purposes. Thanks! I'd kiss you, but you look... scaly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
You might get some negative reviews for that. BUt I guess you can live with that, if people don't get what a "roleplay" map is...

A compromise could be to put the location at a position that is just very difficult to reach. (If you got two interacts at opposing ends of the map, possibly requiring some jumps or other tricks. Not many would bother with that for grinding.
This sounds like a better idea, as an uncompletable mission, whatever its intent, may not be well received by anyone but the select few it is intended for. That's fine if it only annoys people who just want to grind, but if Cryptic takes a hardline or an automated stance against missions that can not be completed, it'll be a bummer for roleplay missions with sky high objectives.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
You might get some negative reviews for that. BUt I guess you can live with that, if people don't get what a "roleplay" map is...

A compromise could be to put the location at a position that is just very difficult to reach. (If you got two interacts at opposing ends of the map, possibly requiring some jumps or other tricks. Not many would bother with that for grinding.
Unfortunately the ground maps just arent that big. Even if you put an interactable object in each corner, you could still probably do the sprint to them all in 5 mins, which is still shorter than most normal missions. So a mission like you describe would still be an ideal choice for someone who just wanted to do the daily as quickly as possible.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Unfortunately the ground maps just arent that big. Even if you put an interactable object in each corner, you could still probably do the sprint to them all in 5 mins, which is still shorter than most normal missions. So a mission like you describe would still be an ideal choice for someone who just wanted to do the daily as quickly as possible.
This might well be, dear Nagus. But I think the grinders (if they are alone) will rather use another mission which gets them to their goal faster. As an alternative you could build some kind of really hard climbing thingy with a console on it's top or something like that. The two objectives in different corners can be overridden, too. Imagine two guys on a team. One in each corner. One uses the first console, the other right after that the second and you have a perfect team-grinding map.

I find the uncompletable mission better. Is it even possible to rate a mission without ever completing it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiuz
This might well be, dear Nagus. But I think the grinders (if they are alone) will rather use another mission which gets them to their goal faster. As an alternative you could build some kind of really hard climbing thingy with a console on it's top or something like that. The two objectives in different corners can be overridden, too. Imagine two guys on a team. One in each corner. One uses the first console, the other right after that the second and you have a perfect team-grinding map.

I find the uncompletable mission better. Is it even possible to rate a mission without ever completing it?
Yes. You can drop it and rate it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.