Lt. Commander
# 1 NPCs in EVA gear....
04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Could there be any way of getting NPC contacts wearing EVA gear in game as either a space or ground contact?

I'm currently designing a mission where an NPC contact based on one of my fleet-mates finds himself trapped outside a starbase during a Klingon invasion (They have also boarded the station) and sends a distress call as well as assists the player from outside the station (Kinda like the Nav Deflector scene in First Contact)

I can't use an armor suit on him since he's not one of the pre-made NPCs, and his portrait has him wearing a regular uniform. (The transmission is "audio only" of course).
When the player finally meets him at the end of the mission, he's already taken off his spacesuit. I'm hoping to have him wearing a spacesuit of some kind if possible.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Lau
Could there be any way of getting NPC contacts wearing EVA gear in game as either a space or ground contact?

I'm currently designing a mission where an NPC contact based on one of my fleet-mates finds himself trapped outside a starbase during a Klingon invasion (They have also boarded the station) and sends a distress call as well as assists the player from outside the station (Kinda like the Nav Deflector scene in First Contact)

I can't use an armor suit on him since he's not one of the pre-made NPCs, and his portrait has him wearing a regular uniform. (The transmission is "audio only" of course).
When the player finally meets him at the end of the mission, he's already taken off his spacesuit. I'm hoping to have him wearing a spacesuit of some kind if possible.
I haven't played with the Costume design much. Have you looked there? Come to think of it I don't think that works either. What little I've played with that element it is limited to the same basic stuff as you can use at the tailor. If I see anything like that as I develop my scenarios I'll let you know.

The story sounds intriguing. I look forward to playing it when you are finished.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2011, 12:40 AM
From what I've noticed, they've avoided, aside from the Breen, allowing anyone to put anything over their heads. I think it has to do with the varying head sizes that we can achieve, and how hard it would be to make headgear scale properly to avoid clipping and such.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
From what I've noticed, they've avoided, aside from the Breen, allowing anyone to put anything over their heads. I think it has to do with the varying head sizes that we can achieve, and how hard it would be to make headgear scale properly to avoid clipping and such.
It's strange, because they've made hoods for Remans, Bajorans, Vulcans/Romulans, and I think Cardassians and tiaras/crowns for Orion women. NPC head sizing in the Foundry shouldn't matter because you can't do that (Except for maybe Andorians).

Caitians have tails, even though there is no apparent place for them to stick out on thier uniforms. (Quite odd when you think about it when used with NX-Era Jumpsuits)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Quote:
It's strange, because they've made hoods for Remans, Bajorans, Vulcans/Romulans, and I think Cardassians and tiaras/crowns for Orion women. NPC head sizing in the Foundry shouldn't matter because you can't do that (Except for maybe Andorians).

Caitians have tails, even though there is no apparent place for them to stick out on thier uniforms. (Quite odd when you think about it when used with NX-Era Jumpsuits)
hmm... they should probably adjust the art on caitian tails to show a "ring" of cloth around the base of the tail to look like an opening that the tail is coming out of.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Quote:
You can't scale the head on any of those races. That's why they were able to give them hoods. The risk that something doesn't work right is very slim. The problem are the Aliens. They could restrict helmets to races where you can't scale the head, though.

Regarding the missing body scaling options in the foundry: this is a feature that is planned for the future. And I hope this will come sooner than later because it is badly needed. Have you seen how long the arms of Aliens are when you create a new costume? They can scratch their knees without bending over! And you can't do anything about it because of the lack of scaling options.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I thought the body scaling options being disabled was to prevent people from making images of canon characters or historical figures.
I actually think the Foundry should have some of the same options as the "random alien generator" used to make aliens for the First Contact missions. That and the ability to use Star Cluster races or even the Deferi.