Lt. Commander
# 11
04-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I can see where it would be a bad idea to allow web address posting in the foundry.

I was thinking a bit more about this... what if when someone writes a review for a mission, the foundry author also receives an email in game that he/she could reply to? This too could help to promote communication between reviewers and foundry authors.

Just a thought....
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
I suppose would technically permit gopher: and ftp: URLs, thinking about it...
They'll still technically remove your mission for violating the EULA. If you read "web url" to mean any URL that a typical web browser can access, then technically it's not even a technicality.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig_masters View Post
I was recently thinking about adding a link to my mission descriptions that would simply point players to "Starbase UGC". This way players could not only read more about my missions but get details that there simply isn't room for in the description. Then I thought what if it violates the EULA?

The EULA says >>>

Would this be a violation since it is simply providing a place to learn more about the mission or even talk about it. This could be very helpful with communication between the creator of the mission and the players. Bug reports could be more detailed as well as updates could be posted so players would know when missions were updated Etc. There currently is no way to contact foundry others aside from friending them and emailing them.

I have read many reviews in game and thought it would be nice if there was a way to reply to the reviews.
While your intent may sound good it is like everything else....you have to consider what those with less then good intent might do. Also, from a legal standpoint, you can not make an exception for you without violating someone else's rights. So, what you would have are situations where your link is fine but the next guy doesn't just say he should have the right to place his url to some commerical site of his own. In fact, certain people would demand such if Cryptic were to allow it just for you or just for "ceratin" url's et al. So, it is a violation. Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
And then you could only enter the text that came after it, which would be the ID for your thread. That way the system would only allow links to the STO forums and any other links wouldnt work.
Or just set up a web interface to each mission based on the Project ID code. So, visiting (e.g.) http://www.startrekonline.com/foundry/ST-ABCDEFGHI will pull up a page containing the mission description, reviews, additional author notes and a mini forum.

All secured and validated with Atari Account credentials; and available through a link on the in-game mission description.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Or just set up a web interface to each mission based on the Project ID code. So, visiting (e.g.) http://www.startrekonline.com/foundry/ST-ABCDEFGHI will pull up a page containing the mission description, reviews, additional author notes and a mini forum.

All secured and validated with Atari Account credentials; and available through a link on the in-game mission description.
It sounds like a feasible idea. As with blogs the author should have the freedom to turn this feature off. (Via checkbox in the editor = No comments allowed/all said inGame).

Otherwise I think you and the Nagus are right. It would give us the opportunity to comment on reviews more openly than via mail. It might even help with some... less than valid reviews, because they would be open for discussion.

Yes, I think it could work. Perhaps bundle the reviews in a kind of subforum per user, so it is easier to search for them and then by mission name. More or less like a wordpress blog with multiple authors works.

Early brainstorming, but definitely has possibilities...
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirus
Yes, I think it could work. Perhaps bundle the reviews in a kind of subforum per user, so it is easier to search for them and then by mission name. More or less like a wordpress blog with multiple authors works.
This can be achieved by making links to these mission pages available on the user's Captain Database page - which is something that really needs to be integrated more with the rest of the features on the site.

I agree about giving authors the ability to turn this imagined 'Mission Page' off as well - it's a good publishing option for those who would use it.

Brainstorming is always good, but usually leads to disappointment in these parts.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I am creating introduction cut scenes. Introduction mind you, not ing the middle of thr mission. I would like to have the player go to YouTube to view the scene. But of course weblinks being illegal. How about just the search parameters. You know the 10 character ID that each video is assigned? Of course this would be posted on the forums as well but just (as an OOB) the characters without a link.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Sup Dawg, I heard you like content?
Aye, I do... *woof!*

Quote:
I suppose would technically permit gopher: and ftp: URLs, thinking about it...
I was actually interested in including something more along the lines of HTTP Cookies inside a mission...
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammadelta1 View Post
I am creating introduction cut scenes. Introduction mind you, not ing the middle of thr mission. I would like to have the player go to YouTube to view the scene. But of course weblinks being illegal. How about just the search parameters. You know the 10 character ID that each video is assigned? Of course this would be posted on the forums as well but just (as an OOB) the characters without a link.
The link thing is one of the sharp lines they've drawn in the EULA, so I think if they ever noticed this, they would count it as a violation. The obvious intent is to prevent Foundry being used as a venue for ads, spam, and any sort of avenue for promoting a profit making operation through the game. Since they don't have time to police YouTube vids to make sure you're not linking to something that is going to cause them a problem, I don't see them allowing "links" in any form.