Lt. Commander
So I've been working on a mission, and one of the requirements for the story to be able to move along is that the player enter sector space and take their ship to another location.

Its a rather important part of the story, and yet I can't seem to get it to work properly. Is their a way to leave a custom map and get back to my ship without completing the mission first?

This is essentially what I want to do:

Earth Space dock - Custom Map - Ship/Sector Space - New System - Custom Map.

Is this possible in the current foundry system?

EDIT: The main problem I am having is that even after I complete all the objectives in an area, nothing happens when I try to beam out. I'm just wondering if its something I'm doing wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer1519 View Post
So I've been working on a mission, and one of the requirements for the story to be able to move along is that the player enter sector space and take their ship to another location.

Its a rather important part of the story, and yet I can't seem to get it to work properly. Is their a way to leave a custom map and get back to my ship without completing the mission first?

This is essentially what I want to do:

Earth Space dock - Custom Map - Ship/Sector Space - New System - Custom Map.

Is this possible in the current foundry system?
Nope - (and that's why I had to break my story across two missions for that very reason. the Foundry will NOT allow you to transistion the player out to Sector Space proper, and then specify a second 'system door' from sector space in the same mission.

The only workaround is to create a space map of the second system location and 'warp' the player directly there in the map transfer (skipping Sector Space travel entirely).

Yes, there are Dev Created missions that put the player back into Sector Space proper and have them travel to and enter a second system (door); but our Foundry tool doesn't allow that - it's one System Space Entry door per mission limit it seems ATM (don't know if it'll be changed in the future for the Foundry.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Well that is unfortunate. I guess this particular mission is on hold for now until that changes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I recently played a mission where I swear I remember reentering sector space, don't feel like replaying it right now, regulus sector patrol by seacadt07
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
I recently played a mission where I swear I remember reentering sector space, don't feel like replaying it right now, regulus sector patrol by seacadt07
If that's indeed the case, I'd love it if you could dig up the name as I'd like to see just how he did it because I've tried a bunch of stuff to try and do evactly that, but never gotten it to work
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
If that's indeed the case, I'd love it if you could dig up the name as I'd like to see just how he did it because I've tried a bunch of stuff to try and do evactly that, but never gotten it to work
it is right there, you quoted it. I know I did a part, then left like on a regular patrol and I swear i used sector space to go to the next system. Been a while but I think I'm right.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
You could try the following strategy. The only drawbacks is that the player is put in charge of deciding the order of which map to visit first. I hope this works for you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
You could try the following strategy. The only drawbacks is that the player is put in charge of deciding the order of which map to visit first. I hope this works for you.
Ahh ok thats it. Yep, I picked where to go, it works fine for patrols, butt not for a story.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Ahh ok thats it. Yep, I picked where to go, it works fine for patrols, butt not for a story.
Well, it could work for a story, but it'd have to be a story where the player is expected to do things in whatever order they'd like. You'd have to be a very crafty author to come up with a story that would feel natural as a mission of this sort.

Lt. Commander
# 10
05-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I believe Nemisis Chicken has a tutorial on starbase UCG that explains how to do this.

If it does not work in order then I suggest placing the different systems in different sectors, and make the first mission start inside either earth spacedock or Quonos.

This way a player would naturally want to go to the closest system on the list.

Also specify in the mission text the order to complete the mission, most players are more than willing to follow the order presented in the mission tracker, use terms like step one : go to the blah blah system

the players that refuse to follow the path (and there will be some) will probably give it a bad review, but hey you can't please an idiot no matter what you do.