Lt. Commander
# 11
05-03-2011, 07:22 AM
You could simply place the spawn point high above ground and have the player and BO's fall. The BO's will die but the player character will not. Then just write-up some dialog asking the Captain to leave his/her bridge officers "sleeping"...

In my opinion, the most efficient method at our disposal is to ask the player to leave their bridge officers behind because it doesn't mess with the game and leaves the decision up to the players.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
You could simply place the spawn point high above ground and have the player and BO's fall. The BO's will die but the player character will not. Then just write-up some dialog asking the Captain to leave his/her bridge officers "sleeping"...

In my opinion, the most efficient method at our disposal is to ask the player to leave their bridge officers behind because it doesn't mess with the game and leaves the decision up to the players.
That's nice but not very helpful if your content will break if they do have bridge officers present.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
That's nice but not very helpful if your content will break if they do have bridge officers present.
I definitely am not going to place players in combat situation where their Bridge Officers are required. The only way I think content may break if Bridge Officers are present is trying to set up a situation where the player has a choice whether or not to fire on NPC's, did you come up with any other such situations?

Lt. Commander
# 14
05-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I definitely am not going to place players in combat situation where their Bridge Officers are required. The only way I think content may break if Bridge Officers are present is trying to set up a situation where the player has a choice whether or not to fire on NPC's, did you come up with any other such situations?

What I'm saying is... Say you have a narrow hallway or a series of ramps that go up to the sky. The presence of bridge officers may lead to bugs or, say, aggro enemies at the bottom of a cliff after they fall off. And walls, invisible or otherwise, won't necessarily box them in.

The mission may break if they bring bridge officers along.

And not everyone knows HOW to use waypoints. I had a mission on tribble that instructed people to drop their BOs off in a certain spot and leave them behind to fight enemies while they do something else. That confused a lot of people and some people willfully ignored the instruction because they didn't want to.

I don't want missions that break if people can't or don't follow instructions. Fail? Maybe. But not break.

And abandoning BOs is tricky. The game increasingly has failsafes to prevent BOs from getting trapped away from the player.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Gotcha. Personally I'm not doing anything of the sort myself and don't really plan to. However, I've seen it done once and done well enough that it wasn't disruptive and no harm would've been caused whether the player did leave the BO's behind or not.

I definitely would like Cryptic to allow us to control how many BO's the player is allowed to bring into a map, just like they can do in their missions.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluskalile
The mission I am trying to make is meant to be a single player mission anyway, ya know like on the show when Riker or someone is stuck on a ship or the holodeck by them selves......hope that clears things up.....can ya help anyway? Also can anyone help me with going from one map, say the engineer map from one ship to another map that is supposed to be another deck, I want to block one door to make it like a turbo lift to take me to another map but I can't figure it out. If anyone can help me with these things that will be great!
If you want the door to trigger the way to another map, you need to have something to interact with at that spot.
Perhaps an invisible object around a 10x10 in size at that location with a trigger to a popup asking if you want to get on the Turbolift. When you make your next objective on the next map (deck), you will get the map transfer box and will be able to move from there to the next map at that point.

As an example:

Your character approaches the door to the turbolift. When the character reaches the invisible object, set a dialogue tree to trigger at component reached (invisible object) and ask in a dialogue: Do you want to use the turbolift to go to Deck 5?
(That will imply that the door is a turbolift entrance)

The next thing in your storyline should be an objective on the next deck's map. This will trigger the Map Transfer box to appear above the objective in the storyline tree and in the game, and it will pop up right after you interaction with the invisible object is complete, then you can proceed with the example below.

You can make the transfer map text to read: Proceed to the deck 5.
You can have the button read: Use the turbolift.
After you do that, you will spawn at the next map's location.

This is just one way to do this, there are other ways. Just an FYI you can try to accomplish your goal if
I am understanding what you want to accomplish correctly.

You can get alot of great instructional info at StarbaseUGC and the Youtube video tutorials that can help you understand these thing as well. They assisted me very much in my learning process.

My Missions: Level 31+

Omega Directive Revisited (Part I - The Investigation) - Not precise Trek canon
Omega Directive Revisited II (Part II - Break the Link) - Strong Trek canon
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm finding the foundry tools really aren't up to par with what I'm trying to accomplish at this point. I have written a story outline for a few episodes, but the requirements to accomplish some of the things in the story will just take too much time at this point. I'll probably just work on some of the assets and characters for now (as long as I can figure out how to backup and re-import them into other maps). I could probably make the foundry do what I want, but I know as soon as it would support some of these methods and more customization with ground maps - that I'd just end up re-doing all the work using the correct methods. I'll give it a month or so and see where things stand after season 4. I don't want to sacrifice story in order to make things "work"..

When it comes to story, I want to be able to bring the player into the locations, and not hack maps of other missions just to make them work.. I think the foundry is great and only going to get better, so I'll give it some time, and work on things that I can do now that will carry over when things are to the point I need them.

I'm in no rush, as the story will be there ready to be told when things are where I need them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, if I decide to go the route of "trap doors" and things, I'll give them a try - or figure out a way to explain the situation in the story..

Thanks again!

- X -