Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Ok, this is getting me sick. Too many missions on the foundry are hiding the start point to favor only certain individuals. And it seems reporting isn't enough to get the point across that this is wrong. Cryptic needs to make a way to prevent the publishing of a mission without a clearly defined start point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
All Cryptic needs to do is expose the mission start point through an additional information field in the mission description that we all see. That way it will automatically, and retroactively become impossible for mission doors to be hidden. I'm not sure what's involved in a change like this, but I think that's the best way to resolve these issues.

All we as players can do is report these missions. There's no need for panic or anguish, keep calm and keep reporting. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Ok, this is getting me sick. Too many missions on the foundry are hiding the start point to favor only certain individuals. And it seems reporting isn't enough to get the point across that this is wrong. Cryptic needs to make a way to prevent the publishing of a mission without a clearly defined start point.
The only thing Cryptic "needs" to prevent the publishing of is these endless threads whining about Foundry missions. These missions are private because they aren't meant for and are probably not of any interest to you. Take a break from the QQ and go play the missions that people wrote for you. I don't want you creeping around in my RP lounge, or my fleet starbase. It's a place I made for me and for my fleet, not for you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I assume that these missions are unfinished from the authors perspective. The Foundry will not let you test completely w/o publishing. Collaboration is also impossible w/o publishing. I believe many authors are trying to work out issues before the general masses play them. The only way to do this is to "hide" the door and let a few people do testing. It's kind of like a small version of a closed beta.

There's a discussion going on in another thread that proposes some solutions.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=213056

I encourage you to join the discussion. We need to find a way make this work for everybody.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
The only thing Cryptic "needs" to prevent the publishing of is these endless threads whining about Foundry missions. These missions are private because they aren't meant for and are probably not of any interest to you. Take a break from the QQ and go play the missions that people wrote for you. I don't want you creeping around in my RP lounge, or my fleet starbase. It's a place I made for me and for my fleet, not for you.
An RP zone is one thing. A private grind mission thinly veiled as an RP zone is another.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
I don't want you creeping around in my RP lounge, or my fleet starbase. It's a place I made for me and for my fleet, not for you.
The moment Cryptic would actually provide for authors creating actual Fleet Starbases and private instances of roleplaying zones and someone would hack into them using a system-wide exploit, I'd support your opinion 100%, Heez. Right now though, the way I see things, you're promoting using the system in a way that offers a possible exploit and that's isn't something I think Cryptic should be complacent about.

Of course there's a very easy solution for this, missions that are meant for roleplay and Fleet Starbases should be marked specifically so that they cannot reward players with any XP/drops and do not count for the daily wrapper mission. Then those missions can hide their entry doors and every will be happy.

I'd say even that Cryptic should simply make it so map entry doors appear in a special mission description panel and if the author chooses to hide those doors, the mission becomes a RP mission and loses its ability to yield rewards of any kind.

In any case, being rude to other authors and players isn't going to bring many supporters to your point of view. Thanks.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Hidden missions are by definition an exploit(an intentional use of game mechanics in an unintended way). The Foundry review system is intended to work in a way that if a mission contains inappropriate material, it can be found out and reported as such. Hiding the start location circumvents this process. So report any hidden mission and say something like "this mission is an exploit because it circumvents the review process and may content inappropriate or exploitive mechanics". Then a GM will review the mission and find out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
The only thing Cryptic "needs" to prevent the publishing of is these endless threads whining about Foundry missions. These missions are private because they aren't meant for and are probably not of any interest to you. Take a break from the QQ and go play the missions that people wrote for you. I don't want you creeping around in my RP lounge, or my fleet starbase. It's a place I made for me and for my fleet, not for you.
If threads like this bother you, dont read them. And unless someone is on your team, then cant "creep" into your private instance of the mission.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Hidden missions are by definition an exploit(an intentional use of game mechanics in an unintended way). The Foundry review system is intended to work in a way that if a mission contains inappropriate material, it can be found out and reported as such. Hiding the start location circumvents this process. So report any hidden mission and say something like "this mission is an exploit because it circumvents the review process and may content inappropriate or exploitive mechanics". Then a GM will review the mission and find out.
Right on. This is definitely an exploit and should be reported.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
It would be in Cryptic’s best interest to add a display field that automatically shows a mission starting door sooner rather than later. Not only are “Hidden” mission are great place to hide any found exploits for personal use in the foundry system they can be used to hide non family oriented material (erotica or slash fiction stories.)

I think it would be a real problem for Cryptic, if a underage kid playing the game stumbled on a “private” erotica foundry mission. From my understanding, Cryptic did not give us the option to make Fleet Only or Buddy List Only missions to prevent these kind of potential serious abuses of the foundry.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.