Lt. Commander
# 241
05-06-2011, 12:01 AM
First of all: Many congratulations to the winner.

Now my comments on the discussion and the winning design.

1. I think it is a good thing that cryptic didn't went so far to make the community votes an important part of choosing the winner. Fans have crazy ideas and often like something outstanding more than a serious, logical choice.
The "fan favourite" IMHO has nothing to do with an Enterprise design. I like it more or less, but it's simply not part of a logical progression when you look at the other 1701s.

2. With the winning design I see similar problems. Was it Ivan or Stahl who said that it has to be a mix of beauty and functionality? I DON'T SEE THAT.
A) Beauty: OK - It is an interesting ship.
B) Funtionality: Noo way. There is NO logical reason why the saucer section should be separated from the hull. If you think about it as if it were real. That doesn't follow a purpose, it's more a design flaw that causes problems while operating the vessel.
C) Continuity: The silhouette is similar to the Sovereign, but the rest differs from previous Enterprise designs. The new ship is a modern mix of Oberth and Excelsior, well at least one of these has been an 1701. The deflector section is nothing like anything we ever saw in ST. If you follow the design elements from TNG to VOY and the 1701-E (and J) you clearly see that he deflector (and ship design in general) gets smaller, sleekier not bulkier.

All this considered I can totally see the winning design in a fanfiction novel, but as a canon ship. meh I hope CaptainLogan will do his best to correct some of the flaws. Let's see where this goes.

PF
Lt. Commander
# 242
05-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Congratulations to the Top25. All of you made better ships than I would be able to (just can't draw/model my ideas ). And thx to CBS/Cryptic and all the others who made the contest possible (even if it was for US citizens only *grumble* ).

The 4th place looks like a decent sci-ship... don't ask me why it just screams science to me. :p Probably because the front looks similar to the Intrepid.

The 3rd place would be my winner even if its aft is a bit too... pointy.

The 2nd place is just... I can't point my finger on it but something bothers me. Maybe it's the awkward deflector.

Now to the winner... like many others I'm not too found of the struts. I think they are too dominant. Maybe it would look better if they would start higher on the hull and not reach to the end of the saucer.

Well we will see what Cryptic can create with the ship as baseline.... just don't forget Klingons want a new "Enterprise" too. *cough* new kling contest *cough*
Lt. Commander
# 243
05-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Congrats to the winners, you made all a great job.

Ok the ship is really not the best, its my opinion. In the last year of the Federation Design you can see the slogan, more aerodynamic design. . So i find the warpgondalas and the Brigde Section are really good. But on the art table, the body of the ship is for me to fat. So i am very excited how looks at in the game.

Greetings

Jack
Lt. Commander
# 244
05-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post
Now to the winner... like many others I'm not too found of the struts. I think they are too dominant. Maybe it would look better if they would start higher on the hull and not reach to the end of the saucer.
The winning profile reminds me of the sketch from Probert on how the Ambassador Class was suppose to look like actually. Interesting interpretation of it for the 2409 timeline and can't wait to see it in game next to the Ambassador Class, hopefully for a study on design versus production practicality.
Lt. Commander
# 245
05-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I have to say it doesnt strike me as a design that fits between 1701-E and 1701-J ...and that was the whole purpose of that contest.

it seems more inspired by the 1701-C + D just bulkier

My biggest problem with the design is the small pic, i cant realy imagine how it looks from other angles.
For STO the chase view would be most important because that is what the player is constantly looking at.

Well maybe i like it more if i see some High Res renderings soon.

anyway congratz to all winners.

i hope to see some of the lower places made into STO ships aswell

...oh and next

new KDF ship contest !!!

pretty please?
Lt. Commander
# 246
05-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddictMike View Post
The winning profile reminds me of the sketch from Probert on how the Ambassador Class was suppose to look like actually. Interesting interpretation of it for the 2409 timeline and can't wait to see it in game next to the Ambassador Class, hopefully for a study on design versus production practicality.
You mean this? Yes.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:US...ert_design.jpg

EDIT: Noticed I wasn't the first. Added quote.
Lt. Commander
# 247
05-06-2011, 12:23 AM
On the TrekBBS forum, a fan of the winning design posted a very rough 3D model. And I thought I'd link so those pro and con could get a better idea of the winning design.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...postcount=1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
...oh and next

new KDF ship contest !!!

pretty please?
Be great if they did. I wouldn't hesitate to enter my Qib'elth-class Battlecruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 248
05-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
On the TrekBBS forum, a fan of the winning design posted a very rough 3D model. And I thought I'd link so those pro and con could get a better idea of the winning design.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...postcount=1221

Be great if they did. I wouldn't hesitate to enter my Qib'elth-class Battlecruiser.
I had seen the design from the sto page and wasnt impressed with it at all.

Secondly again, congrats to the winner and all the runner ups.. now... voicing my thoughts here...

Now after seeing the rendering that you supplyed....I REALLY do not like the design at all. It doesnt give me one ounce of flagship "enterprise" feel. Iam sorry but this has really put a new low "for me" for this game..

Just being honest here.

ps.. maybe we can get troi to cpt it and crash it on some distant planet
Lt. Commander
# 249
05-06-2011, 12:39 AM
I think the winner is graceless, lumpy, and reminds me far too much of the Imperial-class. I couldn't do any better, but I'm of the opinion that several of the runners-up did, and this selection irritates me.
Lt. Commander
# 250
05-06-2011, 12:40 AM
the people at memory alpha are refusing to list it in their database because they say it is not canon. maybe they should pay more attention to the whole contest then

congratz to winner! like it!
Closed Thread