Lt. Commander
# 511
05-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I know exactly what I am talking about.

It looks like a nice discussion is not going to happen, too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Problem is, there's only so much variation that can be applied to the standard cruiser configuration - it's all in the details. When you start making ships to fit within a specific design generation, it's even less distinct.

That said, the rough 3-d model, compared to that particular 3-d build of the Ambassador concept, does make me feel that this ship belongs more in the proto-Galaxy era than as a Sovereign successor.

Wheras the Madden design that is an obvious throwback to the Constitution profile uses lines and detail elements that feel more like the Sovereign and post-Sovereign AC skins, along with elements resmbling other modern STO vessels. And yes, I liked that one the best.
Yeah, i get that there will be similarities, but look at the ships evolving over time and all the other designs present, it can change.
Lt. Commander
# 512
05-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderKeaton View Post
You mean this? Yes.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:US...ert_design.jpg

EDIT: Noticed I wasn't the first. Added quote.
Yep... minus the neck. I am still not quite sure if I like it or not. I will say this: let the Ambassador Class in game as well with this ship but with different leanings.

The Ambassador Class can be a tac/sci hybrid like the Luna Class. But with sharper teeth.

The winning design can be a tac/eng hybrid (The Excelsior is an Eng/Tac hybrid)
Lt. Commander
# 513
05-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
It looks like a nice discussion is not going to happen, too bad.
If your definition of a "nice discussion" is everyone agreeing with you, no thats not going to happen. Sorry you got your feelings hurt, but you were wrong so thats that.
Lt. Commander
# 514
05-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Thank you for posting this as I wanted to remind everyone that the winning ship has many steps to go before it is final and in game. The final ship will be using the winning ship's design as the basis but we have to make several adjustments in the 3D model. Since I'm privvy to the conceptual touch ups, I can say that I'm very happy with the way the ship is translating to 3D. In our discussion with CBS, the primary thing we are adjusting is the way the hull, necks, and saucer connect. We are keeping the design element but tightening it up a bit for fluidity.

Since it is a bigger ship than the Sovereign, it is going to be a sight to see when you get next to it in space.

We plan to start posting a design diary as we take steps on the initial model to explain how the final model is coming together.
BTW will this be a class available to players, or just an NPC class?
Lt. Commander
# 515
05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
I very strongly endorse this idea. No matter what one thinks of it, Fuzzy's design had polish and, yes, it garnered a lot of votes.
Which design is Fuzzy's?
Lt. Commander
# 516
05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
The main thing this ship has going that I like is that new mainstay/flagship classes continue to increase in size.

I really felt like we needed a modern, huge, bigger Galaxy-esque class of ship with a really imposing presence!

Now I hope Cryptic fine-polishes that design to make it look slightly more modern
Lt. Commander
# 517
05-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasensal
Which design is Fuzzy's?
The one which had the saucer, nacelle pylons, and secondary hull all meeting in a single interface. I didn't like that aspect, but I dislike it a lot less than the winner.
Lt. Commander
# 518
05-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasensal
Which design is Fuzzy's?

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...y?filter=rated

that one.

Interesting design, would like to see it ingame, but it doesn't look like an enterprise to me honestly.

Though, the guy did you some 'advertising' about it getting a bunch of the popularity votes from what I've read. Lot of people sad/angry that the most voted ship wasn't picked by the Cryptic and crew judges.
Lt. Commander
# 519
05-06-2011, 11:01 PM
After looking at it several times, the design of the winner does kinda grow on you. If they (Cryptic) drop the dual-strut "neck" design in the pic and give it a proper single thick neck it might look awesome. I just don't like the design flaw of having such a weak looking support. Beyond that, the look isn't too bad, actually.
Lt. Commander
# 520
05-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Taking everything in, I can't help but wonder if the winner won because it was just one angle and no 3D work.

I mean, looking at the 'top 25' becomes a lot more understandable if you add the secret prerequisite of being rather under-detailed so they can take it and rip it apart and put it back together in a way they want.

So less 'design the next enterprise' and more 'design something that will inspire our art team to make the next enterprise'.
Closed Thread