Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Well. I just skimmed over the latest "Ask Cryptic" for May 2011...and two questions, and their answers from Cryptic, caught my eye.

The Cryptic representative answering the questions is Mr. Dan Stahl. The link to "Ask Cryptic May 2011" is here: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2424

Here are the two questions:

Quote:
Q: Felderburg When will Klingons get Orion, Nausicaan, Gorn, etc. ships at lower levels?
A: Our goal in 2012 is to add more variety to the KDF ship lineup so that there are viable ships in each class at each tier. Over the next several months you will see us release new Klingon ship variants at the lower tiers. Few of these will be non-Klingon ships. It is TBD if you will ever see low tier ships that are Orion, Gorn, or Nausicaan, based on whether or not the KDF faction increases population over the next year.

Q: Cheysuli I think a great mission for the FEDS and KDF too have a mission arc around bringing both sides to the negotiation table too try to end this war or too bring a cease fire. Even though we are at war there should be at least a try at peace.
A: Hold that thought and stay tuned!
The way I sort of interpret this is that progress (i.e. new ships, etc) for the KDF faction is directly tied to the KDF faction population....and the other thing I get out of this is that, as has been rumored in some other threads and which has always been sort of dismissed in the past is that there may well be a main plot element that will bring the KDF and Federation factions back together in Alliance.

I don't mean to put words in anybody's mouth...but there it is in print.

Ah well. Perhaps I should not have expected anything less. I guess that eventually we will indeed find out. Time will tell.....
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTempest
The way I sort of interpret this is that progress (i.e. new ships, etc) for the KDF faction is directly tied to the KDF faction population....and the other thing I get out of this is that, as has been rumored in some other threads and which has always been sort of dismissed in the past is that there may well be a main plot element that will bring the KDF and Federation factions back together in Alliance.
Actually, the tone of the messages from Cryptic have been reflecting this for awhile now. They are careful to assure us we are important, but at the same time you can't fault them for investing their development resources in areas of the game where the most players will benefit. The irony here is that if they had delivered a more functional faction at launch, the population would enjoy a far larger number of players than it does today.

However, I do not believe the KDF faction would have ever been able to field equal numbers, even if the faction was perfect at launch. All multi-faction Trek games have always had Federation players outnumbering the other factions. If you think about the focus of the series, this makes sense anyway since we spent the most time with the Federation in all the series and the story was originally intended to be a non-threatening platform for the exploration of current societal values.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I can't help that reading that left a sour taste in my mouth as a Klingon player primarly. Even the open PVP zone of Ker'rat has been seeing a Rise in Federation players, but a lacking of Klingons in the zone.

Of course there are other reasons for Ker'rat, how ever regarding the statement, I don't know if I'm satasified that they are going to "keep an eye" on the population numbers and use that to determine if the KDF gets anything new in the future. You'd think that maybe the KDF might get more people if they add more tools and options to the KDF side beyond this new Tutorial and lower level mission arcs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2011, 01:19 AM
I unfortunatley see a long term goal of them folding us back into the federation, once again bound to the constrictions of the prime directive and cliche federation gameplay.

In another year instead of unique faction specific content we will all be at the mercy of cannon nazis and forced to click through dialogue trees of trite moral dillemas and complete ethical mind numbing boredom.

I could be wrong but it feels like the vocal federation players are crying for an end to the war and to impose their version of startrek on the rest of us, while the people that want to play Klingons are going to have to find somewhere else to do it.

We just don't have the population to justify our own faction anymore, and that bloc of fed players that hates the war, hates seeing Klingons asking for content and hates anything in star trek that isn't peace and morality overcoming everything is going to keep pushing for us to get folded into one faction.

Then they will promptly all start flying KDF carriers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2011, 01:56 AM
The problem I see with this is that they tie it to the KDF population. And the KDF population will likely keep dwindling so long as they ignore the KDF population, and they will ignore the KDF population more if it dwindles, on and on and on. The issue here isn't that the KDF doesn't have a strong player base but that the KDF faction doesn't have a strong base for which to mount a player base.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2011, 02:27 AM
It's a catch 22 no doubt.

I swear if they fold us into the federation though i am going to start a resistance sabotage movement that will make the maquis look like toddlers with squirt guns.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Well i hope they dont do that, but that brings up a few issues. First it eliminates pvp, unless they make a full fledged Romulan faction. Or they do a monster play type of thing like Lord of the rings, and i think that would truly kill the game.

Secondly about 50 percent of the episodes/quests on the federation side include fighting the klingons. So how are you going to explain fighting the klingons, and then turning around saying oh we are at peace with them. As a star trek fan i would like to see the Alliance renewed, but as far this being a mmo, it is really too late for that. Too much is tied into this war between the Klingons and the Federation
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworoth View Post
Well i hope they dont do that, but that brings up a few issues. First it eliminates pvp, unless they make a full fledged Romulan faction. Or they do a monster play type of thing like Lord of the rings, and i think that would truly kill the game.

Secondly about 50 percent of the episodes/quests on the federation side include fighting the klingons. So how are you going to explain fighting the klingons, and then turning around saying oh we are at peace with them. As a star trek fan i would like to see the Alliance renewed, but as far this being a mmo, it is really too late for that. Too much is tied into this war between the Klingons and the Federation
Well, there are two easy solutions for that...

PvP on the Fed side against Klingon players is actually a sideshow compared to the Faction on Faction PvP "Wargames" the Feds play with each other. There are even Fed players who absolutely refuse to PvP against Klingons...but have no problem with inter-Faction Wargames. If the merge does indeed happen...then I think that PvP will transition into more of those "Wargames" when it comes to Klingons...which would mean that both competing teams on a PvP map could end up being a mix of Fed and Klingon vessels. With the episodes, all Cryptic has to do to keep the integrity of the storyline is to describe those Klingons the Feds are fighting in PvE as "rebel houses" that the KDF can't fully control......

If there is such a merger...and if there is a rebel faction....count me in it. The Marquis never did know how to do things right...
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Your point is interesting, but what is star online then? Is it nothing more then a one faction game, with one faction pvp? I for one could not stand for something like that, it wouldn't be right star trek wise. Also there is not such thing as a Rebel Klingon house, to be a rebel Klingon house means to have no honor, that means no support from the Klingon Empire. Further more they would seek you out and kill you. Even the most powerful Klingon families that have been known to be disgraced end up with maybe one ship at the end. Those are only the most powerful. So you really could not say every Klingon in these matches escaped the clutch of the empire, and was able to procure a crew. That is a extreme stretch.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Q: Felderburg When will Klingons get Orion, Nausicaan, Gorn, etc. ships at lower levels?
A: Our goal in 2012 is to add more variety to the KDF ship lineup so that there are viable ships in each class at each tier. Over the next several months you will see us release new Klingon ship variants at the lower tiers. Few of these will be non-Klingon ships. It is TBD if you will ever see low tier ships that are Orion, Gorn, or Nausicaan, based on whether or not the KDF faction increases population over the next year.

What a lousy excuse to do nothing.
Just to bring the point to where the cash flows - if you don't advertise your product - nobody will buy it.
And if you don't make a move to attract more players there won't be more players. You just seem to forget that players are no redshirts that regenerate over time. A player lost due to your poor standards is a player that won't advertise the game in any positive manner.

So the message is - if you (the player) can't get another (possible) player to join the KDF-faction there won't be any improvements.

I'm sorry CRYPTIC - it's your job to get more players! That's what your payed for!