Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworoth View Post
Your point is interesting, but what is star online then? Is it nothing more then a one faction game, with one faction pvp? I for one could not stand for something like that, it wouldn't be right star trek wise. Also there is not such thing as a Rebel Klingon house, to be a rebel Klingon house means to have no honor, that means no support from the Klingon Empire. Further more they would seek you out and kill you. Even the most powerful Klingon families that have been known to be disgraced end up with maybe one ship at the end. Those are only the most powerful. So you really could not say every Klingon in these matches escaped the clutch of the empire, and was able to procure a crew. That is a extreme stretch.
Sworoth,

Excellent Post -- and you hit the nail squarly on the head. One faction PvP is not PvP at all, not really...yet that is what most of the Federation players are participating in. You have some extremely experienced Fed PvPers who are experts at fighting their own faction in these wargames...but who will not participate in Fed vs. KDF PvP at all.

Additionally, you inadvertently provide additional justification from a PvE standpoint for merging the two factions..because if the factions are merged, then the Klingons and Feds can go hunt down these "rebel houses" together....

For the record...if some sort of "merger" is in the works, I am completely against it as a player...not that this means anything in the great scheme of things...but if it happens, then I believe that it will be one more step towards "Star Fleet Online" rather than "Star Trek Online".
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Again a interesting point how you turned that around, but i am also glad that i am not alone in saying no to merging the federation/Klingon factions.

To go a little off point but to the point, its as one the previous posters posted they do not advertise the klingon faction. Even on the website there is no pictures of klingon warships, no specifications. To add to further insult i am a LT commander on my klingon and all i can look forward to as far as leveling is repeatable destroy missions, dailies, and the episode seasons. Its no surprise that allot of people do not want to play klingons, leveling a fed is easy, leveling a Klingon is pain. When i leveled my fed toon to vice admiral i kept going because i wanted to see how the story ended.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-08-2011, 01:19 AM
My feelings are mixed about the whole merging with another faction.

On the one hand I think it would kill the purpose of this being an MMO, and being a Klingon just wouldn't feel as unique. On the other hand, I enjoy story progression and flame me if you guys want, but if they come up with some really kick ass, intriguing story line to bring the KDF and Feds together with a few huge events, I would be down. However, that includes not making it "BAM! We're friends again!" I think it should SLOWLY progress towards that and I think a lot of political drama should come from it.

This is coming from a guy who never liked the Klingons calling a truce with Starfleet, not even in ST VI or TNG era. To me, Klingons were the ultimate starfleet classic villains, but you can't ignore canon and as much as it makes me cringe to say it, I can't imagine all Klingons being 100% against a truce with Feds.

If it includes careful negotiations, deep stories and events, maybe even FE evolving around it (Which i think an FE regarding the war between Feds and KDF should be done regardless if its to lead to a truce or not) then I'm down. In fact, I'll even go as far to say that i think it would give KDF players an even more unique experience if it's done this way - But, I highly doubt this would happen.

In the realistic sense of things, as much as I'd like to see a kick ass story open up and bring us closure onto where the war is leading to, I don't think a truce would ever be made between starfleet and KDF with purpose of developing awesome content leading up to the event, I think it would be just to avoid making more specific, large amounts of content for KDF - and if that's the core reason for bringing the two factions back together, then count me out.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworoth View Post
Again a interesting point how you turned that around, but i am also glad that i am not alone in saying no to merging the federation/Klingon factions.

To go a little off point but to the point, its as one the previous posters posted they do not advertise the klingon faction. Even on the website there is no pictures of klingon warships, no specifications. To add to further insult i am a LT commander on my klingon and all i can look forward to as far as leveling is repeatable destroy missions, dailies, and the episode seasons. Its no surprise that allot of people do not want to play klingons, leveling a fed is easy, leveling a Klingon is pain. When i leveled my fed toon to vice admiral i kept going because i wanted to see how the story ended.
We don't need to merge the factions, perhaps open DS9 to both fleets and allow cross-teaming for STF's....perhaps that's all.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-08-2011, 01:34 PM
I think merging the factions would be a terrible mistake for cryptic, it would force every player to then have to do moral dillema ethical starfleet missions.

I don't personally like starfleet, I hate the rigid silly rules and regualtions.

I hate that there is a whole playerbase dedicated to forcing that rigid silly ethical playstyle on the game.

The best part about playing a klingon, and making klingon foundry missions, is you are never obligated to address the stupid prime directive in every single mission you do.

If they did merge us, that would go away, we would be klingon players playing fed centric storylines and the only difference for us would be the way our ships and characters looked.

That would kill immersion for me personally.

My Klingon is not captain picard with ridges on his forehead, hes a bloodthirsty warrior cutting a path across the galaxy with no time for the weakness of others.

I do not want to merge in the federation and have to start doing missions where I deliver medical supplies, solve diplomatic negotiations and "do the morally and ethically right thing"
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
I think merging the factions would be a terrible mistake for cryptic, it would force every player to then have to do moral dillema ethical starfleet missions.

I don't personally like starfleet, I hate the rigid silly rules and regualtions.

I hate that there is a whole playerbase dedicated to forcing that rigid silly ethical playstyle on the game.

The best part about playing a klingon, and making klingon foundry missions, is you are never obligated to address the stupid prime directive in every single mission you do.

If they did merge us, that would go away, we would be klingon players playing fed centric storylines and the only difference for us would be the way our ships and characters looked.

That would kill immersion for me personally.

My Klingon is not captain picard with ridges on his forehead, hes a bloodthirsty warrior cutting a path across the galaxy with no time for the weakness of others.

I do not want to merge in the federation and have to start doing missions where I deliver medical supplies, solve diplomatic negotiations and "do the morally and ethically right thing"
We can have the situation with the feds and the KDF of Kirk of the TOS shows and perhaps the movies....or we can have the KDF fed relationship from the TNG era...either way we can continue to do what we KDF players have done before...there is nothing to have us follow Starfleet designs in missions.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
We can have the situation with the feds and the KDF of Kirk of the TOS shows and perhaps the movies....or we can have the KDF fed relationship from the TNG era...either way we can continue to do what we KDF players have done before...there is nothing to have us follow Starfleet designs in missions.
except that if they folded us into the federation, they would never bother to make Klingon specific missions, instead you would play missions written for starfleet captains, they wont bother writing or creating extra dialogue for a merged faction.

I think if they are hiring new people, why not put one guy in charge of klinks, and one guy in charge of rommies, so they at least have one dev to represent them
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-09-2011, 05:55 AM
"except that if they folded us into the federation, they would never bother to make Klingon specific missions, instead you would play missions written for starfleet captains, they wont bother writing or creating extra dialogue for a merged faction.

I think if they are hiring new people, why not put one guy in charge of klinks, and one guy in charge of rommies, so they at least have one dev to represent them"

Exactly what he said if they merged the factions it would be a shortcut on there part so they would not have to deal with the Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devast8tor View Post
Actually, the tone of the messages from Cryptic have been reflecting this for awhile now. They are careful to assure us we are important, but at the same time you can't fault them for investing their development resources in areas of the game where the most players will benefit. .
I do not fault them per se, but saying a faction is important and then telling us to go wait in a corner is hardly conducive to increased population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
It's a catch 22 no doubt.

I swear if they fold us into the federation though i am going to start a resistance sabotage movement that will make the maquis look like toddlers with squirt guns.
I'll quit if they fold us into the federation just to save themselves some effort.
Better to play another game then become STO's second class citizen in fact instead of just theory.
I have little faith that the KDF would continue to grow meaningfully if such an event happens.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree with the general direction of this thread. WE ARE KLINGONS, not Federation lap-dogs.
"We need breathing room." - Gen Chang, ST VI.

The only time that the fleets met was during DS9 and the only reason that happened is because Gen Martok and Galron didn't know if the Empire had enough resource to fight the Dominion on their own. If they did, then the "Way of the Warrior" episodes would not have ended the way it did. The extent of the alliance was shared resources, not objectives or political goals. And STO should be no different.

If Klinks come into Fed space, it should be only for the sake of either insuring the safety of the empire (read: fight Borg, Undine) or establish supply and trade routes (read: DS9 access).
Other than that, there should be no interaction and surely no consideration to the Prime Directive (whatever that is about) in their missions.

Just my $0.02