Lt. Commander
# 1 NPC dialogue behavior
05-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm having trouble getting an NPC contact to go away. I want the player to talk to the NPC contact and then the NPC to go away as soon as the dialogue is over.

Reason is, the NPC runs off to a different part of the map & the players meet up with him again. But if he just stands there forever & won't go away, it doesn't work.

In "story" tab:
Task - talk to NPC contact
Mission text: talk to XXXX
waypoints: automatic

Advanced dialogue editor:
initial state: hidden
When :immediately
State: visible
Objective in progress
(name of very next objective on map)
State: hidden

I think that *should* make him immediately visible, but then hidden as soon as the next objective starts. But it doesn't work that way. No matter how I've messed with the advanced dialogue, he just stays there forever.

I need him to either disappear after the the player talks to him OR he can run off, but I don't see a way to give him waypoints to follow.

Also - this is unpublished, so I'm running it through the play map function in Foundry. I assume behaviors are the same when it is live, but maybe NPCs act differently in the play map function?

Am I trying to make an NPC contact do something that isn't possible in the Foundry tool? Or do you have any ideas how I can work around this issue?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2011, 10:57 AM
We can't make an npc go invis. The devs may consider it a potential exploit, or at least that is all they've told us. Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Adjusting the visible and hidden state in the dialogue editor just changes whether that specific button is shown.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Today I noticed something when I played Cold Call.
One of the Deferi right at the end of the mission in the obersvation lounge.
The delegation beams off and the Deferi died in the transporter beam. He literally dropped dead but was gone before he hit the ground.
I think that is what happens when NPCs disappear from a map. Unlike an object that just turns invisible, NPC's "die" and may add to a kill count.
That might be the exploit the devs are woried about. Put a 100 NPCs on a map and just kill them with a single trigger over and over and over.
Naturally we can't have that.
But if that is true the machanic sucks!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Today I noticed something when I played Cold Call.
One of the Deferi right at the end of the mission in the obersvation lounge.
The delegation beams off and the Deferi died in the transporter beam. He literally dropped dead but was gone before he hit the ground.
I think that is what happens when NPCs disappear from a map. Unlike an object that just turns invisible, NPC's "die" and may add to a kill count.
That might be the exploit the devs are woried about. Put a 100 NPCs on a map and just kill them with a single trigger over and over and over.
Naturally we can't have that.
But if that is true the machanic sucks!

On the other hand that might me teh solution you are looking for.
It might be possible for you to kill the NPC when the hero is not looking somehow. Drop a group of enemys on him or use a trapdoor that lets him fall to his death or just hides him. Cause NPCs fall when you remove the floor under their feet.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I think the exploit thing is a bunch of nonsense, frankly. NPC Contacts don't count as kills of any kind.

To the OP, one thing you might try doing is having the contact standing next to a piece of cargo (or other object). Once the dialogue is complete hide that object and show another one that is moved slightly so that it will cover the NPC contact.

That may be kind of jarring, so you can transition to it by focusing the player's attention in the opposite direction (have an interact objective directly away from the NPC). When they interact with that object, move the object to cover the NPC, and when they look back he'll seem to have disappeared.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2011, 04:27 AM
I think for now I'll work around it with making the first communication with this character over a computer terminal followed by a popup. Not quite the same as having him actually standing there, but better than him standing in 2 places at once or just staying still after he says "I'll go ahead & meet up with you later".

Not sure why it is this way & we can't make them move where we want (random wandering ) or just go away after they've said what they have to say. As far as a kill exploit, I'm not 100% sure but i think you or your team has to engage the NPC in combat for it to count as a kill. Otherwise I could fill a map with a 55/45 mix of friendly & enemy NPC groups and go do something else while all those kills rack up. I don't think it works that way - if i place a FED CPT3 NPC group next to a Borg all ensign group, but far away from the spawn point, the Fed group will kill the Borg group, but nothing should change for my stats because I wasn't involved. Even if I brought my team up to that situation & we focused fire on 1 actor, I think I'd only get credit for that 1 kill & not the whole group.

But I could be wrong - I really don't know how everything works - but none of the grinds I saw used NPC groups to do all the heavy lifting - you still had to do the kills. Even if that meant a bunch of fighters dying in your core breach, you were still actively engaged with the group.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2011, 04:52 AM
It may not add to an accolade, but it could still add to an objective.
However that could be exploited...

Best recommendations are variations of a theme, find a way to hide the NPC in a clever way instead of removing him completely. That way you can easily reintroduce him even if necessary. Although that can be done with the copy of the NPC anyway.