Lt. Commander
# 1 How do we send models
05-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Question I have 2 Battleship Models one Romulan and One Klingon unlike any others is it possible to send them as a submission for use by Startrek online? If so can they Dev's send me the information
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2011, 01:05 PM
There have been several interesting model proposals by highly talendet people around here.
OlBuzzard and Azurian my personal favourites.
I've also posted a handful of ship designs on the forums, all of them specifically created for this game.
Unfortunately there seems to be no good way to actually submit them to Cryptic.
And ungood ways either except to put them on the forums and hope they see them and let themselves get inspired by them.

Off-topic I'd like to remark that it appears to be against the rules to use animated gifs.
I know at least one person got into trouble for an animated gif in his avatar.
I think Sigs can probably get you into similar trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Off-topic I'd like to remark that it appears to be against the rules to use animated gifs.
I know at least one person got into trouble for an animated gif in his avatar.
I think Sigs can probably get you into similar trouble.
Better listen to mister_dee and remove the animated sig.......they can very touchy about these things.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Not too long ago a user asked to submit their ideas for a mission. After investigating a bit, I found that we cannot take player submissions due to legal reasons.

As such it would follow down the same suit with ship models, races and similar I fear.

I am glad we have passionate players and you can always share your ideas on the forums in public. Direct submissions is something we can currently not accept, sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Well, Cryptic can't take them for free due to legal reasons. But they can sure buy them from you like they did with Thomas the Cats UI work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaius View Post
Well, Cryptic can't take them for free due to legal reasons. But they can sure buy them from you like they did with Thomas the Cats UI work.
You mean for a [i]symbolic[i] value?
Since I'd give them my ships for free (I put them in the forums which is as free as it gets IMO) that would work for me.
Some Atari Tokens would also work for me.

Otherwise there's just the forums and occasionally mentioning what I've posted depending on the thread so it won't be forgotten too quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Not too long ago a user asked to submit their ideas for a mission. After investigating a bit, I found that we cannot take player submissions due to legal reasons.

As such it would follow down the same suit with ship models, races and similar I fear.

I am glad we have passionate players and you can always share your ideas on the forums in public. Direct submissions is something we can currently not accept, sorry.
Multiple MMO companies have said that, but no one ever explains why.

What legal reasons?
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I have a related question.

My ship design for the Design the Next Enterprise qualified as a runner up. I know Cryptic was looking to add as many of the ship submission from the contest as is feasible, and I would be happy to turn over all the source 3D files for it if it will help. Now according to the contest rules, as a contest submission, the design is already property of CBS/Cryptic. Would turning over the 3D models for this be okay, or would this fall under the same limitations?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
Multiple MMO companies have said that, but no one ever explains why.

What legal reasons?
If you wish more details on that, I can only directly you to seek legal counsel with a professional. I do not have legal training and as such cannot go into details on this as I may not use the correct terms or word matters wrong. And on legal matters, words need to be precise.

(That's also the reason why we must close thread when people start trying to discuss law or legalities.)

greendragon: Please do not send anything to us. We cannot use it, we may not use it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
If you wish more details on that, I can only directly you to seek legal counsel with a professional. I do not have legal training and as such cannot go into details on this as I may not use the correct terms or word matters wrong. And on legal matters, words need to be precise.

(That's also the reason why we must close thread when people start trying to discuss law or legalities.)

greendragon: Please do not send anything to us. We cannot use it, we may not use it.
The short of it is they are in California. Come move to Indiana. Lower taxes, No overbearing regulations. You would be able to accept assistance from the community. You'll like it