Lt. Commander
Why not sort or find Foundry Missions by Location?

Perhaps the Foundry Listing could be connected to the Galactic map and you can go to eash planet within a Sector and look the missions connected to that location. That way you don't have to travel all over or you know a particular mission with a location but don't recall the name or author.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Both ThomasTheCat's UGC mock-up and my UGC mock-up were location-based in anticipation of this issue. The Foundry is huge: so huge that even conventional string searches might not be that useful in a year.

Location would be useful.
Tagging would be useful.
Recommendations based on other missions you liked would be useful.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-03-2011, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Why not sort or find Foundry Missions by Location?

Perhaps the Foundry Listing could be connected to the Galactic map and you can go to eash planet within a Sector and look the missions connected to that location. That way you don't have to travel all over or you know a particular mission with a location but don't recall the name or author.
Fantastic idea, I have started looking at some foundry missions, and have been impressed with the first few I have seen, i shall delve into misson creation soon.

One thing that i find frustrating is, actually finding the mission I want to play. The top 20 or so are all 5 star missions written in german or spanish for examaple. I too would like to search by location or even enemy faction (if im in borg space id like to see if there are any good custom borg missions near by)
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Both screens look fantastic It would certainly make the mission finder a bit more meaningful and easier.
One filter that needs to be added is Language!!
A language filter is needed. It's annoying having to click on each mission to see if it's in english or not
Sometimes it is not obvious!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Both ThomasTheCat's UGC mock-up and my UGC mock-up were location-based in anticipation of this issue. The Foundry is huge: so huge that even conventional string searches might not be that useful in a year.

Location would be useful.
Tagging would be useful.
Recommendations based on other missions you liked would be useful.
Wow, I really like your UGC interface mock up. Right now it isn't very easy to navigate. I have to scroll through a lot of missions in alternate languages. I enjoy browsing mission descriptions and playing ones that sound interesting. I'd rather do this than type in, say BORG, and pull up any mission with a borg in it. If I did that, I feel I'd miss out on some that I wouldn't even be aware of. For example I did a mission where I was minaturized and placed into the body of an admiral and that was very cool. I "flew" my starship through his blood stream and killed the organisims and nanoprobes invading his body. It was an excellent mission, but since the bad guys were not a regular, and the mission wasn't something I would have Searched for, I feel I would have missed this mission if I didn't just browse. I really like your Interface since it appears that it would make for easy browsing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Agreed with the OP.

Even made my own post on this subject here:http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=211727

It really would be better if they divided it up by language and area (like mission replays are)

The Foundry is only going to get bigger and bigger - it needs something to make it easier to navigate though all the missions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-12-2011, 02:39 AM
I was going to start a thread like this, but I figured someone would already have done so.

I do agree the system needs much better searching and sorting. The current inferface might have been fine for a small testing environment but is rapidly becoming unwieldy on the live server.

I notice under the current custom filter that there is a field for language - except that it does not appear to work. This and a filter by start location would be very useful. Either of the mockups shown would be helpful - nice work guys.

Edit: Having a filter by location would also help with those missions where the author has not put the start location in the tag line that appears in the mission list. I am not an author and I don't mean to criticize players who put time and effort into creating missions for others - but please don't make it harder than necessary to find where to go.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Filtering the Foundry
05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambril
I was going to start a thread like this, but I figured someone would already have done so.

I do agree the system needs much better searching and sorting. The current inferface might have been fine for a small testing environment but is rapidly becoming unwieldy on the live server.

I notice under the current custom filter that there is a field for language - except that it does not appear to work. This and a filter by start location would be very useful. Either of the mockups shown would be helpful - nice work guys.

Edit: Having a filter by location would also help with those missions where the author has not put the start location in the tag line that appears in the mission list. I am not an author and I don't mean to criticize players who put time and effort into creating missions for others - but please don't make it harder than necessary to find where to go.
I concur with sorting, but would love to have a way to "tag" missions so If I want to run a diplomatic mission or a space combat heavy mission I could also filter that way beyond looking at location and language.