Lt. Commander
Hi I'm new to the game (2-3weeks) and was going good guns until last week.

Since then I seem to crash constantly during ground combat. I have searched the forums and seen a couple of suggestions re: lowering dynamic lighting, bloom and overall graphic quality (which I'm not particulary happy about) I have done this but it does not seem to have resolved the issue.

I have filled in the cryptic report thingymajigs but have received no response as yet.

I do not have this problem with any of the other games I play and I usually do not have to reset the graphics quality to make the game work properly.

Is anybody else having this issue? Is it a known problem that Cryptic are addressing? Is it just me? Do Atari and Cryptic hate me? Does anybody have any advice that might help me out here?

Being the stubborn sort I hate to leave missions behind and it is very frustrating having to spend ages on each away mission due to client crashes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I may have had a similar issue. Does everything suddenly freeze or loop through the same animations, with your character being able to "fire" (with no effect) but not move? When that happens to me, running tracert usually shows that I've got a bad connection somewhere.

Not sure why I don't see that more in space combat - it may be that ground combat has more going on between the server and the client, and is therefore more susceptible to packet loss. Just my almost completely untrained guess.

If that's the case, if tracert shows a 200ms lag somewhere, there's not much you can do, unfortunately
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Nope it doesn't lag at all, it just cuts out completely and dumps me back onto my desktop.

I never have any problems in space combat either, just on the away missions.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-12-2011, 03:21 PM
most common cause of ground mission crashing specially with ATI cards is dynamic lighting. disable it or some have been able to keep dynamic lighting on by reducing the number of light sources.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the advice but whatever the boffins did during the latest patch seems to have resolved it for me.

I played through 4 away missions last night with no problems and was even able to reset my graphics back to their original settings.

I presume that whatever the problem was came in one patch and left in the latest?